Fairey Fulmar Mk I - MPM 1/48

Finishing two models in two days is something of a record, but that's what has happened so here's my MPM 1/48 Fulmar Mk I.  Apart from wanting to build it, one reason it got to the top of the pile was the enormous box and the amount of space it was taking up in the stash!  It's from the first release without any etch fret or other add-ons.

It is one of the best limited run kits I've built with generally good fit, apart from slightly vague locations for some of the cockpit detail.  The exceptions were the leading edge inserts for the gun ports, which needed shimming and filling; the landing light transparency, which I could have done much better; and the pilot's canopy.  Short of blowing a new one, the solution was to separate the windscreen and canopy with a razor saw and much trepidation.  It worked OK and although the sliding section sits a bit high I'm happy with the result.

It's from the box apart from boxing in the landing light aperture, harnesses and a stretched sprue antenna, and is brushed with Humbrol enamels.

The Fulmar was one of those endearingly inadequate aircraft which nevertheless played a vital role in the war and I'm pleased to have this one as a companion to my Grand Phoenix Firefly.

Thanks for looking!

KGVi83XA_o.jpg

eorNafRb_o.jpg

JfJWizYe_o.jpg

kt6JBjfn_o.jpg

LAfMmdWz_o.jpg

Edited by bryanm
  • Like 19

Very neat and clean build, although looking rather bland in the absensce of any weathering, no emphasis of where the movable surfaces connect, no red and green  for the wing position lights, and with tyres that look like they're newly delivered from Good Year. In short, appearing more as a 'model' than a miniature of a real plane - perhaps unavoidable with such a quick build.

Kind regards,

Joachim

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat and clean build, although looking rather bland in the absensce of any weathering, no emphasis of where the movable surfaces connect, no red and green  for the wing position lights, and with tyres that look like they're newly delivered from Good Year. In short, appearing more as a 'model' than a miniature of a real plane - perhaps unavoidable with such a quick build.

Kind regards,

Joachim

I guess that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, this seems a bit of an uncalled for criticism 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jhutchi said:

I guess that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, this seems a bit of an uncalled for criticism 

I agree, jhutchi – it came across sounding more negative than I intended; I see that now.

I apologise and would like to explain that what I really thought when I saw the model was, "that's a very neat and clean model. With some additional work, a bit of light weathering, etc., it will be a very realistic replica of the full size aeroplane."

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

I would like to say what fantastic models! I love both the Fulmar and Firefly.. some of my favourite types. Your brush painting skills are to be applauded too. I can't get that kind of smooth finish with an airbrush! And as for weathering... not every model needs to be done this way, factory fresh is sometimes just as nice and a damn site quicker to finish. Better with a finished model in the display cabinet in a clean state than sat on the shelf of doom. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments.  The photos flatter the finish!  By 'finishing two models in two days' I don't mean 'building two models in two days' - I finished the Spit XIV on Monday and the Fulmar on Tuesday, but started the Spit in November on return from Telford and the Fulmar last summer.  I'm not a quick builder!

I prefer 'factory fresh' - weathering can look good if done gently but can ruin a model if done with a heavy hand and it's not a skill I've wanted to acquire.  It's also always an interpretation, whereas you know that an aircraft was fresh early in its life.  Photos of Fulmars in service often show them pretty tatty, no doubt as a result of hard work in salty conditions.

Photos of real parked aircraft often (not always) show the control surfaces centred and the flaps retracted (you pull up the flaps as soon as you leave the runway to minimise FOD and give more space under the wings).  The Buchons at Duxford last year were all parked with their flaps down (everything else had them up) and photos of Westland Whirlwinds often show them parked with flaps partly or fully down, probably because the flaps and cooling system were linked - I don't know if the Buchon also has its flaps linked to the radiators..

3 hours ago, bryanm said:

I prefer 'factory fresh' - weathering can look good if done gently but can ruin a model if done with a heavy hand and it's not a skill I've wanted to acquire.  It's also always an interpretation, whereas you know that an aircraft was fresh early in its life.  

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't agree more.

• Thanks 1