M1A2 Abrams SEP V2

49527578222_9def368e1c_b.jpg

This is Voiio's newish (I think it was released last summer) M1 Abrams with the SEP V2 upgrades. It's Voiio's first, and so far only, release, but they seem to have hit the ground running as it's a really well engineered kit with some very nice detailing. The tracks are rubber bands although, to my mind, don't really suffer for it as most of the track run is hidden behind the skirts anyway. Fit was very good and it looks to be accurate for the most part. Construction is also pretty rapid as they've kept the parts count to a sensible level. Probably the best bit is the inclusion of a full set of stowage including some lovely clear-moulded water bottles with appropriate labels supplied on the decal sheet. Speaking of decals, Voiio include a fair number of marking options including camo, plain green and deset tan schemes.

P.S. If you don't know the company, their website is here. They do have another product in the form of a black vinyl cat figure with removable pants and who wouldn't want one of those - I know I do

49526839843_36c0403235_b.jpg

49527576547_6db68fc914_b.jpg

49527349871_bc5295a823_b.jpg

49526840588_3f0b8d266d_b.jpg

49527575802_7bf47f09ec_b.jpg

49527575607_2c13a68417_b.jpg

49527347911_604718a3d2_b.jpg

49526838593_1336a5a383_b.jpg

49527574502_9cf27f19ae_b.jpg

49527346501_08c512a124_b.jpg

49527573717_11701845d6_b.jpg

Andy:cat:

• Like 55

Lovley!! Amazing work as usual Andy. Quick question, did you just use a film for the vision blocks? Ive been trying to find something for ages now and always come up short.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

Great job Andy. Very nice varying paint job. Can you tell me how you approach tracks on modern tanks like this?

Thanks Soeren,

The tracks on this were primed with a dark rust primer, then the track pads were brush painted in a rubber black (I forgot to paint the inner track pads on this build :doh:). For weathering, I mixed a muddy wash from acrylic paint and pigment, and brushed it over the tracks, then wiped it off the raised areas. To finish off, I splattered a bit of the mud wash over the pads.

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Lovley!! Amazing work as usual Andy. Quick question, did you just use a film for the vision blocks? Ive been trying to find something for ages now and always come up short.

Thanks Simon,

Yes, the optics were covered with a self adhesive prismatic film from AFV Club (available from Hannants). The set I used was designed for the Trumpeter Abrams, but most of the pre-cut stickers fitted with a little trimming, and there's plenty of excess film to cut extras.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

They do have another product in the form of a black vinyl cat figure with removable pants and who wouldn't want one of those - I know I do

Yes... quite! :hmmm:

Lovely job as usual - the grot round the skirts looks great and makes a nice contrast. :yes:

• Thanks 1

To me, that is a perfect lesson in how to make an uninteresting tank (IMHO), interesting. I've always thought the M1 a boring tank, but what you have done to it Andy, is to create a superb model. The painting and weathering is first class. Nice one.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

To me, that is a perfect lesson in how to make an uninteresting tank (IMHO), interesting. I've always thought the M1 a boring tank, but what you have done to it Andy, is to create a superb model.

Thanks John. I know what you mean regarding the Abrams. I was never that interested in modelling it as I've always seen it as quite boxy and plain. Building the kit did make me appreciate the design more though - I might even make another one someday.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Making a boring subject interesting is quite an art but you've managed it there.

It's refreshing that a manufacturer is including stowage etc & nice to read of an acceptable parts count. Some manufacturers seem to go out of their way to over complicate their kits.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...