F3H-2 Demon "Tomcatters" - Hobby Boss 1/48th scale FAIL!

Ale85

Hi guys, this is my entry for the GB. I don't know from how many years i have this kit in my stash, now is the time to build it! I will build it completly OOB, no aftermarket will be used! Just to finisch my VF-31 Tomcat and i'll start a...VF-31 Demons. Yes, i really love this Squadron!

Demon.jpg

Ciao

Ale

Edited by Ale85
  • Like 7

Nice choice, I have the same one in the stash.

One thing to note is that Hobby Boss got their Demons muddled up, or more correctly there designations. You may know all this but for those that don't (I spent ages working this out myself).

So what they call the F3H-2 (the latter version in the series) is actually the Long Tail F3H-2N though you can build the -2M version, you just need to blank off the upper guns.

The boxing they call the F3H-2M, is actually the Short Tail F3H-2 which is the later version.

So all is fine, though if you plan to do an early version of the -2N, you just have to watch what missiles you fit.....though with later mods this changed as well.

F3H-2N - AIM-9B's Sidewinder (normally 2 only), but no AIM-7A's Sparrow I's due to original radar, 4 x 20mm cannons

F3H-2M  - AIM-7A's Sparrow I's only due to radar, 2 x 20mm cannons (the -2M's were very limited in production only 80 produced and retired early, VF-31 didn't use them).

F3H-2 - AIM-9B's Sidewinder, AIM-7C's Sparrow III's (normally 2 of each), 2 x 20mm cannons (though often deleted)

Ok the -2N was later modified with new radar so could have the same config as the -2.  I can find no reference to the -2M's ever being modified. I can find no reference to the tails being modified either, so the -2N kept it's long tail its entire life.

All quite confusing, but the model you have is correct for the VF-31 Tomcatters...they got the decals right......sort of!!! One final piece of info, the -2N's (& -2M's) Bureau Number began with 13xxxx, the -2's began with 14xxxx. So they got that right for the box but not quite for the model inside, but that's a simple fix.

...and one final thing is the missile rails are not correct, Phase Hanger do a nice correction set for these, either for the Sidewinder only -2N or Sidewinder/Sparrow -2 and modified -2N.

https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/48001-1-48

Hopefully this is helpful :D

• Like 4

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Nice choice, I have the same one in the stash.

One thing to note is that Hobby Boss got their Demons muddled up, or more correctly there designations. You may know all this but for those that don't (I spent ages working this out myself).

So what they call the F3H-2 (the latter version in the series) is actually the Long Tail F3H-2N though you can build the -2M version, you just need to blank off the upper guns.

The boxing they call the F3H-2M, is actually the Short Tail F3H-2 which is the later version.

So all is fine, though if you plan to do an early version of the -2N, you just have to watch what missiles you fit.....though with later mods this changed as well.

F3H-2N - AIM-9B's Sidewinder (normally 2 only), but no AIM-7A's Sparrow I's due to original radar, 4 x 20mm cannons

F3H-2M  - AIM-7A's Sparrow I's only due to radar, 2 x 20mm cannons (the -2M's were very limited in production only 80 produced and retired early, VF-31 didn't use them).

F3H-2 - AIM-9B's Sidewinder, AIM-7C's Sparrow III's (normally 2 of each), 2 x 20mm cannons (though often deleted)

Ok the -2N was later modified with new radar so could have the same config as the -2.  I can find no reference to the -2M's ever being modified. I can find no reference to the tails being modified either, so the -2N kept it's long tail its entire life.

All quite confusing, but the model you have is correct for the VF-31 Tomcatters...they got the decals right......sort of!!! One final piece of info, the -2N's (& -2M's) Bureau Number began with 13xxxx, the -2's began with 14xxxx. So they got that right for the box but not quite for the model inside, but that's a simple fix.

...and one final thing is the missile rails are not correct, Phase Hanger do a nice correction set for these, either for the Sidewinder only -2N or Sidewinder/Sparrow -2 and modified -2N.

https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/48001-1-48

Hopefully this is helpful :D

Thank a lot! 

7 hours ago, Devo said:

Cool jet. Enjoy.

I built this one a few years ago.

YgwRXR.jpg

Lovely build! How about the construction? There are issues or everything is ok?

ciao

Ale

15 hours ago, Ale85 said:

Lovely build! How about the construction? There are issues or everything is ok?

ciao

Ale

Ale,

From memory it built up well. I think it was a bit tricky with the intakes and gun trough areas, nothing major though. Careful dry fitting and go slow will help.

• 3 weeks later...

With the Tomcat almost at the finish line, i started to assembly the first parts and making some test without glue. No pics for now, but i will provide soon

ciao

ALe

• Like 1

Mmmmmm, for a single engine jet of that time she was big.....probably why she was soooo underpowered! Even the later model with the improved engine was still underpowered! 

I sort of giggle every time I see that box art work, even with a touch and go or a missed trap it still couldn't taken off with that angle of attack without stalling shortly there after! They've done the same silly "action" picture on the box artwork for the AMK Tomcat! :doh:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a flying pic to show you the progress so far. I painted the camo with gloss white (H316) and light gull grey (H316). Next step: radome, anti-glare panel and red tips on wings and rear stabilizers.

demon.jpg

ciao

Ale

• Like 3

On 3/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, Ale85 said:

So let's start with a test build without glue. The overall fit seems good and, wow, it's a big bird! 😮 

I seem to remember that one of McDonnell's design proposals for the F3's replacement was basically a slightly enlarged version with either 1 or 2 engines, and that this evolved into the F4, so it was not that much smaller than the Phantom.

Pete 

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news! I have to shut down this building. 

First of all: decals was a real trouble; they broken in several pieces, it was like building a puzzle

But the worst was when i put the washing on the undersurfaces: when i removed the excess, it was a disaster!

So... white flag :(

demo1.jpg

demo2.jpg

I have the determination to put my name on the map of this GB so...just the time to choose the subject and i will start whit it

ciao

Ale

• Sad 2

I was too frustrated to save it. I love the Demon, so i think i will give it another chance in the future buying another kit. I don't love to waste money, especially in this moment, but as i said, i was very frustrated by this inconvenience.  And I throw it to the bin :(:(:(

ciao

Ale

• Sad 2