Dry-Dock Model

Harvin87

Hello everybody,

This is my first post so I wanted to say hi to everyone. Right now I'm working on the already classic Trumpeteer 1/350 Hood model, and will post picks on progress as soon as I gather some material and info. On other topic my real question is, I'm already considering where to put my model when it's finished so, are there any "dry dock models" out there? I haven't been able to find one... or is it always build from scratch? the first thing that springs to my mind is something like this:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ca/dkm/PrinzEugen-350-fr/images/IMG_0005.jpg

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ca/dkm/PrinzEugen-350-fr/images/IMG_8079.jpg

Of course I know that is maybe too much, but just wondering if one can buy dry-dock kits.

Cheers and will post my progress. 

37 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

It's not my model :p, I was wondering about the dry-dock... I haven't found any model-kits... so I was wondering if people just build them from scracht? 

I'm not a ship modeller, I just admire the skill of those who can build them, but I expect you would have to scratch build the dry dock: this is @Nick Charnock's work in progress from a couple of years ago.

Edited by Richard E

You don't specify whether  you want a floating dock or a graving dock, but presume from the photo's you've linked to it's the latter.

If you've got a substantial budget, there's a German company SSNmodellbau that does a drydock kit and various extensions/add ons in cast resin, otherwise, Nick's scratchbuild linked above is a good guide to constructing one. There's loads of drydock photo's on the internet, if it's just a generic dock you're looking to build use photo's as a guide and people/vehicles to get an approximate scale of features. If you're going for a specific dock you might be lucky and find photos taken in that dock. If it still exists, google earth will give an indication of size and layout, otherwise a contemporary aerial reconnaisance photo could help if you can find one.

Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I meant, but my god it is expensive, 180 euros. But, after taking a look at Nick Charnock's dry dock I came to the conclusion that a piece of work like that is well beyond my powers right now and even years into the future. What I can do is consider SSNmodelbau kit. If anybody has any other options, help is appreciated. 

Cheers. 

On 18/02/2020 at 22:56, Harvin87 said:

Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I meant, but my god it is expensive, 180 euros. But, after taking a look at Nick Charnock's dry dock I came to the conclusion that a piece of work like that is well beyond my powers right now and even years into the future. What I can do is consider SSNmodelbau kit. If anybody has any other options, help is appreciated. 

Cheers. 

Don't dismiss your own abilities so easily.  We all have to start somewhere and fundamentally, the design of a dry dock makes it a far easier prospect to scratch build than a ship or aircraft which many on here do - and they all had to do their first one.  That said, Nick's rendition is as good as any museum model so you are setting the bar quite high! 

Give scratch building a go.  I'm sure you'd been surprised.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...