Yellow acrylic paint

aerodes

Hi, anyone any tips on applying yellow acrylic paint (I never use enamels). I have Tamiya, Vallejo and Mr. Hobby. I am struggling to get decent coverage after priming both with airbrush on large areas and hand brushing on small items such as ejector seats. I've even tried on scarp items, yellow artists' acrylic tube paint for small areas. The paint seems to take lots of coats to get a decent depth of colour. I think the secret might be in the colour of the paint that I prime with. Been told that using pink first, helps. Rgds

White is a good base for yellow, one of the hardest colours to apply successfully, along with red. Never tried pink, but it sounds feasible.

I find acrylic yellows require a number of well thinned coats at intervals to build up depth, I've never got it right first go [nor did I really expect to]. Patience is not one of my virtues.......!!

As for brush painting, I failed !

hth

Rog

I find flat yellow is also easier to apply. If I'm using a colour that is gloss or semi-gloss, e.g. Mr Hobby "Aqueous Hobby Color" RLM 04 which is semi-gloss, I'll add a little flat base. It's always easy to finish coat gloss later if required. I still apply over a white undercoat.

Ray

• Like 1

I'm a real modelling newbie so I may be really off here, but I've been doing warhammer 40k for a while. I find that a brown (with a warm orangey tint to it) base coat is good for yellow.  I've recently seen pink acrylic ink used as a pre shade for yellow. It seems to create an orange tone in the recesses. 

Try some Revell Aqua yellow (yes, the paint we all hate). I was very surprised recently at how good the pigment is in that.

As for airbrushing it shouldn't really be any harder than white. Just light, misty coats and build it up. It'll take a few of them, but you should get a uniform finish. 

Regarding the shade of the yellow maybe you should try some test spoons. Prime a few of them in different basecoats (black, white, pink anything you feel might help) and then spray some yellow on and see which one you like best. I was actually told that a black basecoat can help with "realism" when using bright colors (such as white, red...) but we all look at models with our own eyes, so test it yourself before committing it to a model.

• Like 1

Chrome yellow pigment is just weak. Ochre yellow is far denser covering.

You'll get millions of contradictory secret undercoat tricks and it's all irrelevant. You just need lots of coats of chrome yellow to build up coverage - end of. A uniform basecoat will make differences easier to hide, but it doesn't matter a toss what colour the undercoat is if you want to finish up with a yellow exactly the same colour as the paint is supposed to be.

• Like 3