Bubbles under decal

A_S

Hi all

sorry for asking several questions lately - anyone know how to solve this one - several coats of micro set then micro sol and hair dryer treatment but I still have these very fine bubbles under my decal - I think I am going to leave it over night but what should I do tomorrow to try and solve? Perhaps when I clear coat they won’t be so prominent?

decals are 3rd party shunko decals

ps I know the number is wrong - going to cut and put a no3 over the top. Only way to make this car without any decals you can buy!

FS6mi16r.jpg

I'm not sure you can fix it with the decal in place. Maybe soak the area in water so that the decal comes loose?

If you can get the decal off grab some polishing compound, make sure the surface is very smooth. After polishing wash it with some soapy water so there's no residue from the compound. put a few drops of water on the body so that the decal can slide around easy for positioning. Not sure which Micro solution does what, but make sure not to apply the softening one until you're happy with the position of the decal, otherwise you might damage it.

Another way to go would be to cut the film as close as you can to each "image" on the decal and position them individually. It's very fiddly but you'll have less issues with silvering.

or you could have a read through this & try bedding the decals this way if you can get them off, failing that, gentleman's parts the area where the silvering/air bubbles are & flood some dilute Klear (or equivalent) onto it, it should go through the pin pricks & then dry to suck the decal down with no or minimal silvering.

Steve.

".........gentlemans parts........" !! Gets you every time, eh !!

Best to put a space or stop between each letter so the Great Almighty US Censor doesn't try to save us from ourselves.

Try this - p.r.i.c.k. - easy........

Rog

I might try the pin trick (trying to avoid "that" word!). Although they are very fine bubbles. I dont want to take the decal off as I think that may be a recipie for disaster, although these decals do seem very "tough" compared to the tamiya ones...

It doesn't look too bad this morning though and the rally lights will be going over that area so i should get away with it, just worried for the other decals, as I think it might be the glue from the decal, although I didn't have a problem with the equivelent one at the back of the car...).

Thanks for the suggestions

7 hours ago, roginoz said:

".........gentlemans parts........" !! Gets you every time, eh !!

Best to put a space or stop between each letter so the Great Almighty US Censor doesn't try to save us from ourselves.

Try this - p.r.i.c.k. - easy........

Rog

I hate it when that happens. :D Guess who didn't proof read. :( ;)

Steve.

• Haha 1

Pierce the bubbles with a pin and re-apply the micro sol.  Keep doing that until you get them as good as you can. Any small silver bubbles that are still left after that you can gently sand off with micro mesh or you can use some of the paint colour of the body on a really fine brush and touch in the silvering so its blue again, not silver. Do that and apply a clear gloss over the top and you'll barely see them anymore...

Edited by Steve Noble

Thanks for the tip - I think th bubbles are too fine to burst and I think it’s the paint and glue more than air. I may give it another go again though.

alrhough I don’t want to make it worse!

Thanks for the tip - I think th bubbles are too fine to burst and I think it’s the paint and glue more than air. I may give it another go again though.

alrhough I don’t want to make it worse!