Airfix Mig-17F Fresco

Friends,

Here is my latest project, the Airfix Mig-17 Fresco.  I was fortunate to receive this as a gift as the kit`s availability in the U.S. is very limited thus far.  My thoughts and notes on this offering from Airfix.............

1. I used the following colors and brands to dress the Fresco

A. Tamiya Deep Green XF-26

B. Tamiya NATO Green. XF-67

C. Mission Models Aluminum

D. Cockpit : Model Master Medium Gray

E. Landing gear wells : Tamiya Titanium  X-32

F. Landing gear struts : Tamiya Flat Aluminum  XF-16

G. Wing Tanks : Model Master Metalizer Aluminum ( spray can )

2. Master metal wing pitot tubes and gun barrels

3. Photo etched seat belts from a generic set.

4. Buffed wing tanks to give the appearance of new replacement tanks.

5. Detailed with washes ( Vallejo light rust, black, blue-gray, and Flory Dark Dirt )

6. Perfect Plastic Putty for all seams.

7. Dirt streaks with pastels ( black and medium gray ).

8. Plumbers putty, lead fishing sinkers, and Delux “Liquid Gravity” for ballast.

I discovered that this kit presents it`s own fair share of challenges.  There are some gaps that require putty and the nose section can be tricky to add weight so that the kit is not the dreaded “tail dragger”.  I had to apply the ballast inside the cavity of the intake splitter and around the splitter just inside between the cockpit and front section of the intake.  The engineering for the landing gear was a bit problematic.  There is a small stub on the gear for the wheel to align with.  The entire assembly was a bit flimsy and after spending much time aligning the parts correctly, I inverted the Fresco and let sit for 24 hours using the strongest glue I have.  Even the front gear strut can be a bit tricky getting aligned properly.  I was disappointed with the Mission Models Aluminum paint.  I have had nothing but a positive experience with MM brand paint so I decided to try the Aluminum.  The paint did not react well when I inadvertently rubbed a cloth across it and it only became worse when I applied the National insignia decals.  The paint, for the lack of a better term, “boiled” ( bubbled and changed color )  when I slid the decals off of the backing paper.  Fortunately, the paint somewhat returned to normal but I did some touch ups around the affected area to lessen the potential disaster.  

My thoughts are that this is a kit for a more experienced modeler.  One has to be careful when assembling the tricycle landing gear and mindful of the nose weight required to ensure a proper stance once complete.  The decals were very good.  If you choose a natural metal version, be prepared to put in plenty of effort into the finish before applying paint.  

Thank you in advance!!!!!!

Respectfully submitted,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Josip said:

Thank you for posting it. Its been quite rare so far to see one finished. You did your best, but I must say that is still a crude kit after all. 

Josip

Certainly not compared to the other available options it isn't!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Supertom said:

I think I saw that! Did you enter it at the Columbus Blizzcon contest on the 15th?

Very astute Tom.  I did indeed bring it to Columbus IPMS Blizzcon on Saturday.  With Hall of Fame talent like Mark Smith putting something in the category, everybody else was vying for second place.  

And before I forget..........Thanks to all for the very nice comments!!!!

Mike

1 minute ago, Sky Keg said:

Very astute Tom.  I did indeed bring it to Columbus IPMS Blizzcon on Saturday.  With Hall of Fame talent like Mark Smith putting something in the category, everybody else was vying for second place.  

Ha. I just about flipped out when I saw the kit. It's beautiful. Anyway, are you gonna be at the Indianapolis contest next month?

Looks good mate!

I had dabbled with the idea of building mine wheels up on a stand to make a cleaner and quicker build, hearing the problems with the u/c has sealed the deal now. 

Speaking of sealed, did you apply a clear over the mission alu before decals? Unlike lacquer metallics, acrylic ones tend to be quite fragile in their ‘naked’ state... 

Tony

• Thanks 1

Mike, that is a beautiful color option you've chosen.

I am sorry to hear about the issues, as you've been looking forward to this kit so much.

Sometimes we get disappointed … have my share with the Dora Wings Lysander....

I also had problems when using acrylic metal paints on several occasions.

Apart from Alclad Lacquers, the ones that work best for me are the Tamiya Aluminum and Silver from the rattle can!

The latter are very strong and durable and wont react to decals and setting solution.

Best greetings, Roman

• Thanks 1

To all.........THANK YOU again for the very nice comments.  😀

Tony : I did apply a solid coat of Tamiya Clear ( as I always do ) before setting the decals.  I do have AK Extreme metal and Alclad paint but I wanted to give this Mission Models Aluminum a try.  Needless to say, I won`t be doing that again.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to getting one, I've got a 1/48 F-4J I want to pose it with in flight :goodjob:

A big and hearty THANK YOU to all who have commented towards my Airfix Mig-17.  I am most grateful for the warm reception that it has received.  :yahoo: 

I look forward to the subsequent builds of this particular kit.

With much respect to all,

Mike

I think it looks great!   You did a fine job on what seems to be a difficult kit, congratulations are in order! :clap2:  I see it's done as the mount of NVAF ace Le Hai.  When I did my 1/48 HobbyBoss Fresco, I found that scheme along with several others that purported to be his mount.   I very much like that choice and considered it for my own build too.  A fine looking MiG sir! 🍻

• Thanks 1

Good looking model! I've always liked the plane in this livery and I'm considering getting this kit. Thanks for the pointers too.

• Thanks 1