Tamiya 1/72 Bf109G6 4/JG51

I have finally completed my Tamiya 1/72 scale Bf109G6. It had sat on the shelf of doom part built after I lost interest in it due to the odd parts breakdown in places (for example, I fitted the panel on the belly then realised I should have fitted the undercarriage legs beforehand which is a problem if you want to paint the model before fitting them). Anyway it's done now and here it is. Painted with Mr Color paints.

IMG_6476-L.jpg

IMG_6479-L.jpg

IMG_6489-L.jpg

IMG_6481-L.jpg

IMG_6485-L.jpg

IMG_6488-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Did you get on with this kit apart from the parts breakdown?

Matt

It went together quite well but I did need to fill the wing to fuselage joint underneath and I had a bit of a step between the gun cover and the fuselage that needed some attention too. The way the undercarriage legs fit is clever as it sets the angles up perfectly but the panel that holds them should be left off until after painting (I actually cheated/forgot and had to lift the panel to get the legs in after painting but got away with it). Lots of detail in the cockpit that disappears the moment the canopy is fitted. The worst thing about the whole package has to be the very thick decals. There is no way of disguising the ridge from the carrier film although I did trim off as much as I could it is still very obvious (in the third photo you can see a line on the wing where the walkway decal is). The decals seemed impervious to any of the decal solutions I have and would not settle down nicely either. I should really have used some of the aftermarket decals I have but just wanted to get it finished after such a long time on the Shelf of Doom.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the exposée Duncan.

I really hope Eduard decide to downsize their 109 series like they have for the 190s... I reckon that'll eclipse the AZ and at least match (and better on price) the Tamiya kit.

None of that takes away from your great result.

Matt

• Thanks 1