Denmark - Lockheed F-104G Starfighter (1/72 Hasegawa)

Rabbit Leader

I'm trying to stop myself from starting this before I get at least one completed and in the GB Gallery, however here is my Danish contribution to this wonderful and ever expanding GB. I've had this Hasegawa kit in my stash for ages now and a recent viewing of a great Danish F-104 You Tube video convinced me that I should give this one a go.

My desired scheme of choice will be the initial colours of Light Grey over White upper wings with shiny bits at the back. I've read (hopefully correctly) that this grey paint was a product from Canada and the colour matches (or is) FS16515 Canadian Voodoo Grey. A quick search on-line come up with many frustrated modellers claiming that this was yet another discontinued Model Masters product, however by sheer chance my LHS has a rack of old paints and in there were five bottles of this exact paint! I grabbed two bottles and mixed one up when I got home, thankfully it still looks very usable. Decals will hopefully come from Stoppel of Denmark and I've emailed him last night to see what the overall damage cost will be?

I won't elaborate on the kit as I think it's fairly well known, however I've never built one before so happy for others to share their experiences. The kit does have two types of ejection seats and two sets of wheels so would be interested to know which ones would suit a 1965-69 era Danish '104'. Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or notes on Danish Starfighters as I'd be very keen to pick up on the local knowledge and detail that this GB is generating. 

Cheers and thanks. Dave  

49546305882_2f3a616042_b.jpg

49545577233_beac99e80c_b.jpg

• Like 12

Excited to see this one develop in your capable hands Dave.

I have the 1/48 f-104 decals from Stoppel and they look very good, haven’t applied them yet though.

Stoppel has a display section in his store with completed models and dioramas, and there’s a 1/32 scale version of your DK grey starfighter displayed there, it looks awesome. I’ll snap it when i get there next for inspiration if you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice. Having become too accustomed to thinking of the Dannish AF Starfighters in their faded green it's a refreshing change to see one in the earlier grey/white/silver colours with larger markings :) 

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Another one of Kelly Johnson beauties to grace the GB :). You'd do well to read Reini's thread and @Giorgio N's excellent overview. Good luck with here mate!!! I've used the Stoppel F-100 set and it was exzcellent. 

Martin

Thanks Martin. I can’t believe I’d missed Reini’s earlier WIP, however have found it now and also read Giorgio’s excellent notes. It’s quite amazing how subtly different some of these aircraft are and it’s the researching part of a build that really adds to the overall enjoyment. Haven’t heard from Stoppel as yet, so hopefully something will come through soon. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

welcome to my nightmare Dave, you can only sit on the fence for so long before you have to join in the fun that is to ruin Rich's modelling life and time....... 

The F-104 must now be right towards the top of the popular build choice. I must say that does look to be a very smart scheme, looks much nicer than the latter grubby worn ones.

Good luck with the build, hopefully you get those decals ok.

Would that LHS be that wonderful place at Stafford?

• Haha 1