1/48 scale Revell Ju52/3m (See)

Hi, guys...

A few photos - well, perhaps a little photo-heavy, of my most recent build.  This is the long-lived Revell kit, which I have modified to a seaplane version. 

First up, some of the internal details with their initial coat of paint.  all surfaces, interior and exterior, will be blackwashed as I go along.  The pilots' seats are resin replacements and are very nicely detailed.  The dashboard is simply the transfer from the kit applied against the kit part.

GEDC4517.jpg

As mentioned, here is the interior of the fuselage blackwashed.  It does look a little untidy and unruly, but it will come good.  The amount of detail in the kit is exceptional, especially when you take into account the amount of corrugation of many of the model's surfaces.

GEDC4518.jpg

This next image shows the fuselage halves brought together.  Most of the seating has been retained, but one section on the right side has been removed and the cargo access has been elongated, therefore one of the windows has also been removed to accommodate the extension.  The dorsal gunner's station is in place, and the windows on the fuselage sides have been adjusted to accept an MG on either side.  On the right side, you can still see the outline of a door, which I don't think was present on my aircraft but I left it unmodified as I didn't want to be trying to add in small parts of additional plastic to recreate the corrugation.  You can also see on the right of this photo, the rudder.  The rudder halves are moulded as part of the tail assembly on each side of the fuselage, so they have to be removed carefully and glued together if you want to reposition the rudder at a later stage.

20191229-211131.jpg

Unusually for me, I elected to make homemade masks for the splinter pattern as I thought I'd achieve sharper edges.  I also spray painted most of the external surfaces with the exception of the undercoat.  Here you can see the completed wings in the background, and the fuselage is being brought up to speed with the black-green coat having just been applied.

20200105-182525.jpg

Once all the splinter scheme is complete, the various sections can be varnished and the markings applied, including the yellow Russian front tactical markings.  With some degree of patience, and a lot of cutting and repositioning of transfers to obtain the necessary code letters, I was pleased to see that most, albeit not all, of the markings conformed rather well to the ribbed surfaces.  The splinter came out very smart, but most of it will soon disappear...

20200118-211241.jpg

As this aircraft carried a white winter distemper colour scheme, I started to recreate this by turning the paint flow from the spraygun down low to pencil-line thickness, then freehand-sprayed around the codes and markings before expanding the process across all uppersurfaces.

20200119-154234.jpg

20200119-155738.jpg

20200119-183310.jpg

Once completed dry, the sections were gloss varnished and then later, after the wings had been attached, blackwashed.  This photo below shows that process after completion with the excess wash being carefully removed with cotton buds... a truly time-consuming yet strangely therapeutic endeavour.  I added random amounts of Maskol to the green colour scheme prior to applying the white, and after removal, the patches of exposed green can be see, indicative of where larger areas of the water-soluble white had fallen away.  I was very pleased with the outcome of the blackwash., and again, this was sealed in with a light recoat of varnish.

20200123-232658.jpg

The floats are resin blocks and add a tremendous amount of weight to the model; they are accompanied with white metal struts. Much care and attention required to be taken to get the floats to sit correctly, to get the struts to attach where they should in the first place, and ideally, you should not let the model slip out of your grasp at this stage - as I did! - as it only results in some time repairing the damage.  Thankfully, all breaks were clean and with the left float in place and the right one causing all the hassle as it wouldn't stay in place, only the left horizontal tailplane broke off and the left float did me the great kindness of largely staying in position; after half a dozen attempts, the right float decided to join the model permanently!

20200127-031025.jpg

20200127-031046.jpg

And so, on to the final few photos as the build draws to a close.  Here, views of the undersides including the open hatches under the right wing showing the fuel tanks

20200216-182549.jpg

20200216-182609.jpg

20200216-182637.jpg

I'm not a great fan of obscuring paintwork with exhaust staining, but on this occasion, I think the kit really did merit this additional detail.  Most of the fuselage windows were overpainted and the access ladder for the left side is in place.  All control surfaces have been repositioned to give the model a more lifelike appearance.

GEDC4558.jpg

In this photo, the float-to-wing leading edge ladders can be seen, as well as the additional cover added on behind the centre engine cowling ring and the upper hatch on the canopy, fashioned from  clear plastic card.  The upper nacelle cover on the right wing comes with the fuel tank and underside access panels accessory set.

GEDC4560.jpg

These last two photos really relay the chunky, angular appearance of this aircraft very effectively.  You may have noticed the floats are a slightly different shade from the fuselage greens; this is because, being 'maritime' items, they would most likely have been finished in the maritime green shades of RLM72/73. 

GEDC4562.jpg

Here, we can see the extended cargo access hatches.  The panel detail on the upper section was added in using plastic card.  The 'crate' with the additional engine wrapped in a 'tarpaulin' and its lid slightly ajar was fashioned from plastic card, painted up with a white undercoat, then pale and medium shades of tan and finally blended with burnt sienna oil paint which, when dry, had strips of 'wood effect' transfer applied over the surfaces then blackwashed to tone down the rather bright appearance.  The forward side door behind the cockpit was largely the reworked section of fuselage which had bee removed to create the door space in the first place.

GEDC4564.jpg

So, that's everything on this build.  A lot of work over the last eight weeks, but a very pleased and chuffed model-maker at the end of it.  The aircraft was originally operational with 5./KGzbV1 in southern Russia during the winter of 1942/43, then seconded to Lufttransportstaffel 1(See) probably sometime between April and mid-May 1943.  It must have looked a little out of place with its winter scheme still in place.  It flew from Russia with a wheeled undercarriage, and floats were attached on arrival in the Aegean.  The aircraft was lost in a landing accident and photographic evidence shows the airframe being salvaged from Atherns-Phaleron harbour on 1 June 1943.

Thanks for looking in, and I hope you like the outcome as much as I do.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by obdl3945
Copious amounts of spelling errors... grrr!
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Cellarfrog... thanks for the comments.  Glad you like the end result... ;-)

Regards,

Paul

Guys, once again, thank you very much for your kind comments, and to all others who used the 'like' button.  This model is certainly worth the time and effort... now just to find a space for it in a cabinet somewhere...!

Regards,

Paul

Superbly done beat up Junkers! A wonderfully interesting aircraft. An interesting technique too which I will have a play with - looks quite convincing. All in all great modelling and thank you for sharing it.

Cheers

Malcolm

exdraken, Nev & James... thank you all... very kind of you to be so complimentary.  I always get nervous before overpainting such a good splinter scheme, but I do concede, it worked out very nicely.

Regards,

Paul