HMS Ark Royal IV - Scratchbuild 1:350

bootneck

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

wonders could they make decal stencils too?

Hi Robert,

yes, I did some stencils for 1:144 scale helo spots and the stencils cut nicely. 

Here they are cut out and applied to the deck

spacer.png

The result does look acceptable.  The mast and radar on the island were also produced with the cutter.

spacer.png

I haven't reached the stage where I might do the same for my 1:350 Ark though.

Mike

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Still not much to show yet, it's mainly getting the lower decks built.  Yesterday, I constructed a central spine section, with the bow and stern depicting the deck heights and contour shapes.  I also added the supporting bulkheads for deck 6 onto deck 7.

spacer.png

Today I have added deck 6 and also did a little bit more work on the Gannets.

spacer.png

Things should start to be a little more interesting as I progess to deck 5.  That is the deck for the lower of the two hangars.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 10

Thanks David.

Over the weekend I added the next set of bulkheads, to support deck 5.  Note the slots forward and aft on deck 5 to fit over the uprights and keep alignment.

spacer.png

Deck 5 added

spacer.png

Next task was to add the supporting bulkheads for deck 4; however, before that I had to construct and paint the forward lift shaft builkheads. I won't be able to do that once all the decks are in place.

On the left is the port side bulkhead, the little strip is corrugated plastic and will represent one of the five lifting chains.  On the right, the starboard bulkhead with chains fitted and painted black grey.

spacer.png

The chains where then painted to represent being heavily greased and weathered. First, a layer of metallic rust..........

spacer.png

which was then overpainted with metallic gunmetal.  Once those layers had dried I then gave them a good rub with a dry cloth to make the rust show through.

spacer.png

This is where it starts to become more complex.  The lift bulkheads are continuous up to the flight deck, so careful measuring is needed to ensure the remaining decks fit over these.

spacer.png

Also, some of the compartments on deck 5 protrude out into the hangar space.  This view shows those compartments being constructed.

spacer.png

A closer view shows the compartment spaces and also the funnel uptakes locations.  The sloped plastic on the right will become the aft funnel uptakes module.

spacer.png

This view shows where the compartments and funnel uptakes encroach into the lower hangar, as compared to the available space in the upper hangar.

Interestingsly, the green rails under the shelving on the left are runners for the ships four Land Rovers.  Two at deck level and two above them on the rails

spacer.png

This view shows two of the Land Rovers stripped down and stowed on the upper rails. The shelving above holds engines on cradles and other aircraft stores.

It also shows that the compartments are on both sides of the hangar.

spacer.png

This view shows my progress on how the compartments and funnel uptakes should look.  As can be seen here, the uptakes slant up and outwards and into the upper hangar space.

spacer.png

Deck 4 has been placed into position for a dry-fit and allows me to check how the shelves and compartment roofs protrude into the hangar space.

spacer.png

I know that most of this will not be visible once all the decks are added, but you know they are there!

I hope to have more progress for you soon. Thanks for looking in.

Mike

• Like 13

Fantastic work, Mike.   I am curious: do you have a plan for  this lower deck work to be visible when the model is completed or is it just because you will know it is in there?

David

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody,

I have managed to get back to this build and have constructed some additional deck pieces, plus I have filled the hull sides from the waterline up to deck 4 level.

spacer.png

The flight deck is being masked up ready for the various deck markings to be painted.

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, bootneck said:

As you can see though, it is fairly obvious that I am not going to complete this with less than two weeks to go; however, I shall continue with the build but unfortunately it won't make it to the gallery.

Amazing work and worth waiting until post GB deadline to do it to your satisfaction, Mike.

David

Thanks David and Ray,

I shall continue with the build; however, the LHS that I get my styrene from has been closed since March and they have just announced that they don't intend to re-open and have put the shop up for sale.  As such, I am only working on smaller pieces for the carrier that can be made from any off-cuts I have left over.  I shall need to source another supplier that sells A3 sheets at as good a deal as the LHS did.

cheers,

Mike

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Thanks David and Ray,

I shall continue with the build; however, the LHS that I get my styrene from has been closed since March and they have just announced that they don't intend to re-open and have put the shop up for sale.  As such, I am only working on smaller pieces for the carrier that can be made from any off-cuts I have left over.  I shall need to source another supplier that sells A3 sheets at as good a deal as the LHS did.

cheers,

Mike

That's unfortunate.  I suspect a lot of smaller storefronts will end up going the same way over the next little while.   Good luck sourcing the A3 sheeting!

David

Such an amazing build.

Sorry to hear about the LHS.  It certainly tough times for small shops that probably didn't have large profit margins to begin with.

Hello everyone,

I have had this thread moved from the Navy GB to here as I feel that I am able to continue the build now.  Herewith some images of the restart@

First off, a view of the lower hangar decks (decks 5 and 4).

spacer.png

Another view with some of the aircraft and vehicle scratchbuilds on the left.  The Phantoms on the right are from the Airfix Illustrious kit.

spacer.png

Deck 7 up to deck 4 (waterline to top of lower hangar decks) are have been assembled and are shown at the back. The upper hangar decks (3 and 2) are at centre

with further bulkheads needing to be added. The fight deck at front is in the process of being masked up ready for painting.

spacer.png

After that, the island needs to be constructed.  Here are the parts, having been cut out from 0.5mm (20 thou) styrene sheet.

spacer.png

A print out of the original plan, scaled to 1:350, was used to mark out the areas where bulkhead need to be glued.  Cut plastic strips for the bulkheads are in the background.

spacer.png

Hopefully, I will be able to make better progress now and should be able to post more pictures soon.

Thank you for looking in.

Mike

• Like 10