Shagbat and guest.....

mackem01

Hi all, a day late but here non-the-less. My plan was to be a straight build of the old Smer Walrus - no box, no instructions, no decals - no problem! 

Also in my last post I mentioned how all my current builds had come to a stop for one reason or another so I started a Seafire XV, so I may throw

this into the mix and hope to get one finished!

Onto some pictures:

It's a basic kit, and I've started by sanding off all the overpowering rivet detail, and glued the wings ready for a sanding:

KIT-1

This is the rest of what I'll have the pleasure of working with - what a box of delights:

KIT-2

This arrived last week to dress it up a bit:

KIT-3

Secondly the Seafire - this one even has its own box:

KIT-1

This is what I've done with it so far, I'm sure it doesn't contravene the percentage rule - let me know if it's OK:

KIT-2

Looking forward to this one as I'm not a big navy man (don't know why). Happy building everyone - see you at the finish line!

More later.

• Like 7

Your not the only one building a walrus, but you are the only one building it bigger than 1/600 I think 😃.

love the walrus and it’s joined by a seafire, what’s not to like!! Seafire looks under the 25% to me, and I’m the host, so crack on.

Rob 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what I’ve seen no, as the flaps are across the fold. I’ve seen models with the flaps partially down while folded but no Real life pictures of this apart from one during restoration, but that was just the outer flap (if that makes sense.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT AND PROBABLY WRONG.

Rob

Nice choice of aircraft, tried the old Walrus kit years ago but never got far and them the Airfix one came out so the old one is in the scrap box! At least the fuselage gives a good indication of what decals should go where! Cant answer the Seafire question though, Don't recall seeing flaps down when folded.

Cheers now

Bob

Tonight's little update as I ploda little further forward.

The first thing I noticed while trial fitting pieces was an awful see-through look in the front of the engine nacelle,

fortunately one of the wheel hubs that will not be used took care of that:

KIT-4

I then started putting the 'pits together to see what I had to work with, it's not alot but what's forms a useful base for a little embellishment.

I'll be adding bits to make it look busier:

KIT-5

I started work on the seats. The kit parts were two basic seats, but looking online I found them to be completely different. Out with the plastic card and file

and a few minutes later I had something looking a little better:

KIT-6

Observers seat on the leftand pilots on the right, still a little more to do, Also while the plastic card was out I took the chance to add a bit of

framing where it may be seen:

KIT-7

I'm off now to add more detail and maybe slap some interior green on............................................Ciao for now!

• Like 3

Only managed an hour or two this weekwhat with one thing and another. Most of that time was spent under the desk

wrestling smaller pieces from the vice like grip of the laminate monster (a close relative of the dreaded carpet monster).

The Shagbat took a back seat with only a little bit of paint thrown at it:

KIT-9

The little time left was spent making a little headway with the Seafire internals:

KIT-5

KIT-4

KIT-6

And who doesn't like to get the saw out every once and a while!

KIT-3

A couple of questions if I may: Colour of the undercart legs and bays - the same as the undersurface camoflage colour? And the same for the oil

cooler intakes?

Cheers.....

intakes

• Like 4

Just a little midweek update for anyone still watching. Firstly - the guest has gone together quite quickly nd now has wings:

KIT-7

KIT-8

The join lines are quite good by my standards and a little filling and sanding should see them made presentable. The Walrus is starting to become

a little more involved. Slurping on a coffee after the last build session it became clear that the innards needed alot more work. Having detailed the

pilots and observers stations I realised the poor WOP/AG had no home of his own! I've added a little more structure that may be seen once she's

been closed up and work will begin on the third compartment shortly. In the meantime this is where I'm at:

KIT-10

KIT-11

KIT-12

Thanks for dropping by.....

• Like 5

OK, So I'm looking for some advice for the Seafire. Could you good folks confirm what colours the insides of the u/c bays, the insides of the oil coolers, and inside the flaps would be? I'm thinking the first two would be the underside camouflage colour and the third would be some kind of chromatic green of a dull silver. I could be wrong and often am so any advice would be most welcome.

T.I.A.....

Edited by mackem01

I just looked at my photos of the Seafire F.17 at FAAM, which I was told had not been repainted

The insides of the wheel wells and doors, the oil cooler and radiator intake are all 'Sky'. 

Sorry, the photos show the flaps up so I have no idea of what colour they would be inside

A weekend review of proceedings showing what's been done. Starting with the Seafire - she now has her tail feathers and I've made a

some decking behind the seat. Once the glue dries, it will be cut and sanded to shape. It now looks better than the 'see through' look

that the kit had:

KIT-9

She's also had a bit done to the undersides to. The insides of the oil cooler intakes have been painted and fixed into position. Trouble is I can never resist

a bit cutting so out with the knife to open those cooling flaps. I've also added some rudimentary structure inside the flaps - I'd still like to know what

colour these should be if anyone with the knowledge could let me know I'dbe most grateful:

KIT-10

With the Walrus apart from a little touching up of the paintwork, I think the cockpit is done. I've added the third crew members station and I'm happy

with what's been done. I want to make some spare ammo drums for the guns then she'll be closed up:

KIT-13

KIT-14

I know how the Walrus will be finished, but the Seafire is a different kettle of fish. I'll spend the rest of this evening searching for a colour scheme that takes

my fancy!

As always, thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Just a little update before the weekend onslaught of filling and sanding (if chores allow). I finished adding the third crew station even

though it's not going to be seen, added some small details, then glued the whole lot into place. Despite my hamfistedness it settled

in fairly well:

KIT-16

Before I closed her up, I made some ammunition drums and scattered them into the relevant places:

KIT-15

Half day finish today has allowed me to close her up and get the wings on, resulting in something that's beginning to look like an aeroplane:

KIT-18

KIT-17

Now's the time I need to gird my loins as I'm at, what is for me, the worst part of the whole process. Filling and sanding is never going to be my

favourite! Time allowing I'll try to get past this stage asap.

Thanks for looking...

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

As they say in old Western movies "bin a while since I've bin round these here parts" and also what they don't say "time for an update chaps".

When we last left it I was up to the dreaded filler and sanding stage (for me anyway). I made a grudging start and...............it went suprisingly

easily! I was that enthused that I kept on rolling and before I realised I needed to do an update here - I had paint on both kits.

The Seafire was fairly straight forward, once I decided on a scheme - thanks for which go to Troy and tonyot:

KIT-11

KIT-12

KIT-13

Not being able to resist a bit of colour, I'll be finishing her in the later scheme with the barred BPF roundels, yellow codes, and a red spinner (the last is a big helping

of conjecture on my part based on the photograph).

Still with a full head of steam it was straight onto the Walrus cowering on my shelves! This scheme is more involved with liberal sprinklings of the five major colours

of the TSS. Don't think I've ever done so much masking!

KIT-21

KIT-20

I've also painted up the sticky-on extra bits:

KIT-19

All the paints are Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats though I think I may need to thin them down a little more. Anyway, that's all for now - I have to go and throw

more paint on that whimpering Shagbat!!

Cheers.....

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Morning All, hope your lockdown is going OK, isn't it great - all this extra bench time! So today I have an update and a non-update for you.

First the non-update, thanks to inactivity at a certain retailer there is no progress on the Seafire. I requested some BPF roundels on an overnight

delivery. That was two weeks ago! (they were still happy to take a six quid delivery fee though!).

Now onto brighter things. I was having trouble with my Humbrol Mattcote, but thanks to the sage advice of several members here it finally

decided to play nice. When it dried it was still very glossy, but after taking advice and re-applying I got this result:

KIT-22

KIT-23

As you can see I also found some time for some decalling, resulting in this:

KIT-24

KIT-25

KIT-26

The decals were great but I had to use the a/c code F from the spares box as the letter supplied on the sheet was huge. I think it looks OK. Today will be all about

readying the upper wing for attachment to the rest of the model, then rigging!

Hope you like what you see, thanks for looking.

Edited by mackem01
  • Like 3

Today's progress. We now have an upper wing in place complete with all the struttery, the tail has struts, and we have a couple of undercarriage legs in place:

KIT-28

KIT-27

KIT-29

I've left off the engine, prop, and all the delicate bits as I thought I'd be asking for trouble when I start the rigging. On the plus side - there's loads of

room between the wings to work on that. Also must start the canopys - there's lots of masking on those two items.

Finally, as a footnote there was some Seafire progress today - I painted red, green, and yellow downward ID lamps on her underside!

Edited by mackem01
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All, time for another little update. The Walrus has made merked progress and I'm glad to say she's now turning on finals.

Engine and prop are on, the rear gunner is suitable equiped, and the rigging is done (more for effect than accuracy I'm afraid):

KIT-32

KIT-31

KIT-30

All that's left is the pilot's greenhouse, the front gun, and the antenna wire and we'll be paying a visit to the gallery. I am also glad to say that

there's progress on the Seafire front. The decals finally arrived and the photos show roundel placement. I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by the

sizes - the wings are exactly the right size but the fuselage.........hmmm. Either the roundel is over scale or the kit is underscale. As I understand

it there were two standard sizes for BPF roundels. The smaller ones are way too small but these seem a little oversized, what do you guys

think? Anyway I'm just going to have to live with it as since these pics were taken this one is also turning onto finals:

KIT-15

KIT-14

Thanks for looking.....

Edited by mackem01
Fighting with Flickr.
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, mackem01 said:

...I am also glad to say that there's progress on the Seafire front. The decals finally arrived and the photos show roundel placement. I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by the

sizes - the wings are exactly the right size but the fuselage.........hmmm. Either the roundel is over scale or the kit is underscale. As I understand

it there were two standard sizes for BPF roundels. The smaller ones are way too small but these seem a little oversized, what do you guys

think? Anyway I'm just going to have to live with it as since these pics were taken this one is also turning onto finals:

You're correct in saying there was two standard sizes of BPF roundels but there was also a non-standard size applied to Seafires for some reason and those look appropriate to me :) 

4 hours ago, Col. said:

You're correct in saying there was two standard sizes of BPF roundels but there was also a non-standard size applied to Seafires for some reason and those look appropriate to me :) 

Maybe to reduce the chances of trigger happy Americans unfamiliar with the type from shooting them down?

AW

• Haha 1