Junkers Ju 88 family STGB II Chat

vppelt68

Seriously though...

The Toad 488 would be a fantastic project, but having read up on it, could be a bit of a stretch.

But if it's in the stash Pat, this might be the time and the place?

Cheers,

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing a discussion started at my Do 17 build thread:

In April 1941 in was indeed possible for an 8./KG 30 Ju 88 to carry a splash of colours

- the basic RLM 65/70/71 splinter camouflage

- white Mittelmeerraum fuselage band and lower wingtips

- yellow Balkan campaign cowlings and rudder and

- red Staffelfarbe spinner tips and a/c letter.

Staffelkapitan, Hauptmann Alfred Neumann was shot down on a raid from Comiso to Tobruk, April 19 1941, flying Ju 88 A 4D+KS. When I find out which variant (A-4/5/6?) that was, I consider myself ready and set to go!

V-P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/05/2022 at 20:11, Johnson said:

Seriously though...

The Toad 488 would be a fantastic project, but having read up on it, could be a bit of a stretch.

But if it's in the stash Pat, this might be the time and the place?

Cheers,

Hi mate

I'll be attempting the 488, as you say, what's the point in having it if not to build it.

Anyone got any ideas of a colour scheme, also I'm not sure if the kit came with decals so I'll need to look something out for that too.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Well, if manufacturing of just one prototype was started but not even that one finished... I'd say you can paint it anyway you want it, and be bold with adding all sorts of mottle and/or squiggles over the basic scheme! V-P

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Anyone got any ideas of a colour scheme, also I'm not sure if the kit came with decals so I'll need to look something out for that too.

How bout the big striped bugger Pat, there seems to be decals ? 

https://www.gdkits.com/en/kora-model-kora72230-1-72-junkers-ju-488-a-5-w-hanomag-ss100ln+2-bombs-p-53513.html

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Brilliant Dennis

I love the squigglely one although as I brush paint, (never been brave enough to try an airbrush :blush: ) I've no idea how to achieve that any suggestions welcome ?

Cheers Pat 

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Anyone got any ideas of a colour scheme

Probably along similar lines to the Ju 388s; RLM76 Lichtblau with RLM83 Dunkelgrun mottle or something similar. Or just solid RLM83 Dunkelgrun as Brett Green did on his Ju 388L which would be easier for brush painting;

ju388bg_24small.JPG

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant Dennis

I love the squigglely one although as I brush paint, (never been brave enough to try an airbrush :blush: ) I've no idea how to achieve that any suggestions welcome ?

Cheers Pat 

@PlaStix might have some ideas, he only uses brushes also. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant Dennis

Cheers Pat 

This may not be good enough for your high standards,

2019-03-24_02-52-53

but I was happy with it back then (Maritime Patrol or something like that GB). No airbrush was harmed in painting this one (and it shows?). It was done using a light grey, no RLM-whatevers, craft store paint marker over brush painted 70/71 splinter. I believe the squiggles could have been painted wider but I went for as narrow as possible lines. You know, painting that was very FUN! V-P

• Like 7

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

This may not be good enough for your high standards,

2019-03-24_02-52-53

but I was happy with it back then (Maritime Patrol or something like that GB). No airbrush was harmed in painting this one (and it shows?). It was done using a light grey, no RLM-whatevers, craft store paint marker over brush painted 70/71 splinter. I believe the squiggles could have been painted wider but I went for as narrow as possible lines. You know, painting that was very FUN! V-P

Looks quite good to me V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

That's blooming impressive V-P  you'll be telling us you did it left handed next ! :rofl2:

As you're a chief and a Scot, I caution you to be careful not to end up making apologies to the left handed community, and then some, and then some...

• Haha 3

Looking at the discussion, and since buying a kit of a Ju 88 yesterday for a tenner from  our HDSMC model show I think I might do this build. The kit was made by Faller - 1/100 scale. I also have a Lindberg kit, again rather basic, but at least it is 1/64th scale. By November  I will be itching to build them ! 😊

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JTninja said:

Picked up a 1/72 Revell Ju-88 A-4, so count me in. Plan on building the Romanian D-1 currently found at the NMUSAF

Excellent choice for a kit - and most likely very popular again in this GB. Which decals do you plan to use? I just browsed through SBS website and found only Hungarian and Finnish Ju 88:s there, I thought they had Rumanian too but apparently I was wrong :hmmm:. V-P

23 minutes ago, JTninja said:

I found them produced by Begemot Decals, which appear to offer the correct markings

Oh yes, I had forgotten them completely :doh:! Their set 72-010 has two Rumanian options, 72-024 has two Hungarian and a Finnish one. Both sheets have several Luftwaffe 88:s too of course. V-P

Hi Pat

here's a couple of Ju 188s that might provide some inspiration for your 488

Ju 188 3E+HK black net camo colour

and 

Ju 188 stripy 3

Last image is from Jet and Prop Photoalbum No 6

Not sure where the first image is from. Note the colour boundaries are pretty hard-edged, so in 72 masking with blu tac or liquid mask would seem to be workable?

HTH

SD

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a battle with my conscience, as I just read the long out-of-production 1:72 Ju 88 A-5/A-17 (and A-4) is finally getting a re-run. It's almost as nice kit as the Revell one, but beats the latter in some engineering choices and variant options. The torpedoes are not that good, though. So where's the problem? Not allowed to discuss in this forum, and as you can see I'm not going to bend the rules :whistle:

I wish 🇺🇦 ICM 🇺🇦 would/could downscale their 1:48 Ju 88 kits to my scale :winkgrin:. V-P

• Like 1