Jump to content

Junkers Ju 88 family STGB II Chat


vppelt68
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I wish 🇺🇦 ICM 🇺🇦 would/could downscale their 1:48 Ju 88 kits to my scale :winkgrin:. V-P

Just get a bigger shelf, stand a bit further back and squint a bit and it’ll work just fine :) 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi folk's,please add me to the list for this one with ICM's Ju88 Nightfighter I've been on the lookout for a suitable kit now ordered.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

As a rule I don’t do Swastikas so I’ve been searching for an alternative scheme for the GB and finally I’ve find a scheme to get excited about.

 

C88-DB7-A6-4-F4-C-4-CA6-8-B7-E-FB55-B03-Now I do hate painting  yellow and the reverse mottle will be a challenge in 1/72 but I just love the scheme and (afaik) it matches the model of kit I have bought. Now really looking forward to the GB :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

As a rule I don’t do Swastikas so I’ve been searching for an alternative scheme for the GB and finally I’ve find a scheme to get excited about.

 

C88-DB7-A6-4-F4-C-4-CA6-8-B7-E-FB55-B03-Now I do hate painting  yellow and the reverse mottle will be a challenge in 1/72 but I just love the scheme and (afaik) it matches the model of kit I have bought. Now really looking forward to the GB :) 

If you're interested this actual aircraft is still in existence and currently painted in Romanian markings. 
 

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196268/junkers-ju-88d-1trop/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to enter this GB, with a A-1 in 1/72 from Revell, The aircraft belonged to 3./KG 30 and was coded 4D+AL, crashlanded at Købelev/ Denmark 16/3 1940.

 

Cheers

Jes

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Touvdal said:

I would like to enter this GB, with a A-1 in 1/72 from Revell, The aircraft belonged to 3./KG 30 and was coded 4D+AL, crashlanded at Købelev/ Denmark 16/3 1940.

 

Cheers

Jes

Welcome, Jes! That beautiful Revell kit caters quite nicely for your plans, as its decal options are 4D+(CH and 9K+)AL, and you got the correct I Gruppe colour (white) in the Geschwader shield too 🙂. V-P

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Welcome, Jes! That beautiful Revell kit caters quite nicely for your plans, as its decal options are 4D+(CH and 9K+)AL, and you got the correct I Gruppe colour (white) in the Geschwader shield too 🙂. V-P

 

 

I am not using the letters from the set,  I use aftermarked.  the A is Yellow with White outline.

 

Udklip1

 

 

cheers

Jes

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve narrowed my options down to one of two captured options (Ju88R-1 PJ876 or G-1 TP190)   
 

Safe to assume DG/DE/ yellow as prototype colours? Or would they have been painted ocean grey instead of dark earth?

it looks like dark earth in the first and third photos but some photos seem to suggest ocean grey…

Captured Ju 88 Captured Ju 88 Captured Ju 88

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

it looks like dark earth in the first and third photos but some photos seem to suggest ocean grey…

Probably impossible to tell. Black and white photos by virtue of their chemistry do not necessarily preserve the relative contrast of the colours, a good example is yellow on German aircraft which can come out darker and is usually mistaken for red.

 

I’d be inclined to try to find some contemporary captured aircraft and see what camo colours were used.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Probably impossible to tell. Black and white photos by virtue of their chemistry do not necessarily preserve the relative contrast of the colours, a good example is yellow on German aircraft which can come out darker and is usually mistaken for red.

 

I’d be inclined to try to find some contemporary captured aircraft and see what camo colours were used.

 

 

Good points. I think I’ll go with my gut instinct and paint Dark Earth and Dark Green over Yellow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a problem in deciding whether to apply the Operation Marita or regular Mediterranean scheme in my build. The regular group builders know that we don't actually encourage people to use the word "or" instead of "and".

So I found a dubious but a colour plate anyway of a KG 51 Ju 88 A-1 with yellow cowls and tail planes. A visit at Mrs. reini's hobby shop's online-version solved the missing kit problem, masks and decals I already have enough of.

V-P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi folks,

 

I'm thinking of joining this GB with a Battle of Britain Ju 88C-2, as used in a raid from Denmark. I'm just looking for some help with the details of the conversion before I commit. I've posted my questions in the main WWII section, so if anyone can help it will set me on my way for this GB!

 

Cheers,

 

Mike 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bad news from the Revell Customer service. I thought I'd better be sure and try to get those A-4/C-6 kit longer wingtips for my (possible) Op. Marita A-1 build. In all the pics I've seen of the KG 51 planes they appear to have been retrofitted. Asking Revell, I got a quick but polite reply that the A-4 kit #04672 is no longer in production and they don't stock its spare parts or decals any more :sad:. I'm only happy I managed to buy three wingtip sets a few years ago, just as the A-1 kit was announced and it became clear it only has the short wings (what a shame that is). No way I'd sacrifice a complete A-4/C-6 kit just because of that. So my options are to decorate a short wing plane à la Op. Marita or go with one of the kit supplied Battle of Britain markings. :hmmm:

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're in business! This is the day #1 of the Ju 88 STGB, but we in Finland have Father's Day tomorrow. Our son is here for the weekend, occupying my workbench with his laptop (and/or a Playstation). Thus I will probably not get to build anything before tomorrow evening after he's left back to Tampere.

For everyone, have a nice group build! V-P

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'm building Major Prinz Heinrich zu Sayn Wittgenstein's Ju-88C-6c night fighter, R4 + XM

Can anyone help me with RLM colours for it please.

 

Many thanks Pat 

Nope, I can't help you with that plane, but here

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04856-junkers-ju-88c-6-z-n--176229

you'll find link to instructions with his C9+AE from Stab IV/NJG 5 from Spring 1943. Nice scheme, black lower surfaces and RLM 70/74 mottle over RLM 76 uppers. I know :winkgrin: a guy who has those decals in his spares, and they are yours if you want them. V-P

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

So it will be RLM 75 over RLM 76, if its good enough for @Stew Dappleit's good enough for me 

I have the Hasegawa Ju 88 C-6 which includes decals for R4+XM and they give overall RLM 76 with a 75 dapple on the uppers.  This also agrees with the profile in the Osprey on German Nightfighter Aces.  Interestingly, this source also has a profile for C9+AE and C9+DE (which is the one I’m building) which is RLM 75 with heavy, almost spots of 74 over black.

 

AW

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Andwil said:

I have the Hasegawa Ju 88 C-6 which includes decals for R4+XM and they give overall RLM 76 with a 75 dapple on the uppers.  This also agrees with the profile in the Osprey on German Nightfighter Aces.  Interestingly, this source also has a profile for C9+AE and C9+DE (which is the one I’m building) which is RLM 75 with heavy, almost spots of 74 over black.

 

AW

 

Thanks AW

Could I be cheeky and ask for a copy of the picture of the painting pattern you have for R4+XM, just wanted to make sure mine correct. 

Cheers Pat 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

 

Thanks AW

Could I be cheeky and ask for a copy of the picture of the painting pattern you have for R4+XM, just wanted to make sure mine correct. 

Cheers Pat 

Here you go Pat:

 

52505870243_53f988061b_b.jpg

 

HTH

 

AW

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the GB Chat thread, so I'll use it in that. As a quite dedicated 1:72 scale builder, mostly only due to space rectrictions, I can't help being very jealous for the ICM and various reboxer's Ju 88 kits available. Never mind the decal schemes, as most of us use aftermarket sets or can bash various sets in various ways, byt the plastics... we (the one-to-seventyseconders) are SO close to having most of it too, if only Revell would box all the A-1 and A-4 parts in one and same kit, and A-1 and C-6 too. But no, they don't.

V-P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...