Junkers Ju 88 family STGB II Chat

vppelt68

I’d be careful with that scheme, a lot of the night fighters were reverse mottled ie a sprayed on line of 76 over 75 to leave apparent splodges ( so to speak)

4-F9-CD690-266-C-4-B61-BDFA-D1-C9-B74-D7

This is a He219 being restored. Apparently the best way to get this effect is with a paint marker.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully someone who knows more about Ju 88s than me will know the answer - I’m building Sayn-Wittgenstein’s C-6 nightfighter C9-DE from the Hasegawa 1/72 kit.  Hasegawa show it with a twin gun Schrage Musik fit, for which holes have to be opened up in the fuselage.  Now my dilemma is, the aircraft is from “early 1943” and the earliest use of Schrage Musik that I can find in my references is mid 1943.  While I would love to have the upward firing guns, I think the subject is too early to have them.

AW

On 18/11/2022 at 07:36, Andwil said:

Hopefully someone who knows more about Ju 88s than me will know the answer - I’m building Sayn-Wittgenstein’s C-6 nightfighter C9-DE from the Hasegawa 1/72 kit.  Hasegawa show it with a twin gun Schrage Musik fit, for which holes have to be opened up in the fuselage.  Now my dilemma is, the aircraft is from “early 1943” and the earliest use of Schrage Musik that I can find in my references is mid 1943.  While I would love to have the upward firing guns, I think the subject is too early to have them.

AW

Hi AW

My Revell Ju-88C-6c R4+XM flown by the same person is equipped with external showing Musik weaponry, however I don't know the sequence of which aircraft came first, sorry.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 4:39 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi AW

My Revell Ju-88C-6c R4+XM flown by the same person is equipped with external showing Musik weaponry, however I don't know the sequence of which aircraft came first, sorry.

Cheers Pat 

R4+XM is definitely a later aircraft.  I’ve decided to leave the upward firing guns off my model.

AW

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 06:02, Marklo said:

I’d be careful with that scheme, a lot of the night fighters were reverse mottled ie a sprayed on line of 76 over 75 to leave apparent splodges ( so to speak)

4-F9-CD690-266-C-4-B61-BDFA-D1-C9-B74-D7

This is a He219 being restored. Apparently the best way to get this effect is with a paint marker.

Parden my ignorance but can you explain what a reverse mottle is? The base colour is 75 right? Then wellenmuster 76 over the top. 

I like what they have done with this restoration but the paint job looks a little too clean. It's obvious they have all the time in the world so the painting is meticulous. I haven't seen any historical photos that look like this 🤔.

Actually on closer inspection the wing root has the original pattern and this looks different. 

Edited by Walter

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Parden my ignorance but can you explain what a reverse mottle is?

It’s where a base colour is first sprayed on then a lighter colour is sprayed in a continuous line leaving spots. To the uninitiated or from a distance it looks like the base coat colour has been mottled over the lighter colour. You see it mostly on late war night fighters. 

A0-E40-C64-96-B1-4-E27-9-B80-37652535-DE

05-A33-ADF-2993-47-AE-B063-85-BEB6-CEEDC

Edited by Marklo

• 2 weeks later...

This GB is now four weeks old, so plenty of time left to grab a kit and finish it in time! There are now 21 build threads, and if you want to know what they look like, well...

6 * C-6; 3* A-1, A-4, 188 E; 2* D-1, R-2; a C-2 and a R-2: leading to 9 bombers, 8 night fighters, 2 reconnaissance a/c and 2 heavy fighters

7 * Revell; 5 * ICM (and reboxes); 4 * Hasegawa; 2 * Dragon (and reboxes); a Hobby Boss, an Italeri and a Zvezda

14 * 1:72; 7 * 1:48

So, the most typical build would be a Revell 1:72 C-6 - but as a bomber :giggle:. V-P 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone's interested, I picked up the January 2023 issue of Model Airplane International today and there's a build of an ICM Ju-88 featured, converting the A-11 to an A-5 trop.

db4Mbxf.png

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/11/2022 at 07:36, Andwil said:

AW

From what I have read so far @Andwil, Schrage Musik installation kits were issued as field modifications, so may have been fitted to older aircraft by the ground crews - I think I read that about 30% of the nightfighter force eventually had the upward armament fitted - which also needed an extra gunsight for the pilot, aligned to match the angle of the guns

(I am part way through reading a book called Nachtjager - Luftwaffe Night Fighter Units 1939 - 1945, by David P Williams -  I will skim through & see if I can find that comment again, to confirm my ramblings)

On 12/9/2022 at 8:29 PM, vppelt68 said:

This GB is now four weeks old, so plenty of time left to grab a kit and finish it in time!

Now only about 4 & my apologies, I'd hoped to get an early start on this but the heat of summer & the run up to the silly season conspired against me to the point that I didn't wish to do the build I had in mind under pressure. Another time hopefully.

Steve.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Now only about 4 & my apologies, I'd hoped to get an early start on this but the heat of summer & the run up to the silly season conspired against me to the point that I didn't wish to do the build I had in mind under pressure. Another time hopefully.

Steve.

This is a hobby, so no worries! Very funny to think about the heat of summer in January! V-P

• Like 3

On 11/01/2023 at 00:38, stevesoutar said:

From what I have read so far @Andwil, Schrage Musik installation kits were issued as field modifications, so may have been fitted to older aircraft by the ground crews - I think I read that about 30% of the nightfighter force eventually had the upward armament fitted - which also needed an extra gunsight for the pilot, aligned to match the angle of the guns

(I am part way through reading a book called Nachtjager - Luftwaffe Night Fighter Units 1939 - 1945, by David P Williams -  I will skim through & see if I can find that comment again, to confirm my ramblings)

@Andwil - Re-reading the chapter mentioning the development & use of Schräge Musik  in my book, it was originally an unofficial modification first tested in late 1942 in D-217, then an armourer with II/NJG 5 took the idea & fitted a pair 20mm MG FFs in the cockpit of Bf-110.

the first kill is attributed to Rodolf Schonert in March 1943. For the next 3 months crews from other jachtjagd units were apparently bringing their own aircraft in to Parchim (airfield?) to have the conversion done - so it is possible that Sayn-Wittgenstein’s C-6 was unofficially upgraded in this manner, between March & August when 1943 the RLM officially approved the distribution of Schräge Musik conversion kits 

The installation doesn't seem to have been universally adopted, as I can find photos of Bf-110s & Ju-88s dated in mid 1944 which don't have Schräge Musik installed.

I have also seen at least three different locations for the MG 151s in different Ju-88s - sometime mounted mid-fuselage just behind the wing roots (as depicted in the Zvezda G6 kit), but also mounted a pair just behind the cockpit, either parallel, or occasionally one in front of the other 

There are photos here - http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=31717 - of a crashed Ju-88C-6 with Schräge Musik installed, but I couldn't find a date for this incident

WNr750811-4-R-AS-Tober-8-NJG2-30-Jan1944

WNr750811-4-R-AS-Tober-8-NJG2-30-Jan1944

Edited by stevesoutar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stevesoutar said:

so it is possible that Sayn-Wittgenstein’s C-6 was unofficially upgraded in this manner, between March & August when 1943 the RLM officially approved the distribution of Schräge Musik conversion kits 

I have seen a reference that at some point his aircraft may have been fitted with a trial Schräge Musik set up.  Anyway as far as my model goes, it’s moot as I finished it weeks ago.

AW

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at the most recent RLM 70/71 splinter schemes that have emerged in this group build, I've found myself feeling quite disappointed and frustrated looking at my own such previous builds. I have painted the splinters with either Hu 117/91, Hu 24*/24* (I can't recall, and am too lazy to check, the last digits of those Humbrol "RLM" tins) or the latest two with Revell 39/40. The black green in each combo looks just too dark green. I need to test and find a new one, the lighter green has usually been ok :hmmm:

Great builds and paintjobs, boys :thumbsup:. V-P

One week to go, we have nine finished builds in the gallery and a very high probability to hit the teens before it locks! I myself am confident in finishing my KUTA-ish duo for the inspiration gallery before next Sunday, although the plans of the recce-bird just yesterday were subject to quite a revolution, and not to a easier direction at all! Tbc... But now let's all push it, push it hard :coolio:. V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

One week to go, we have nine finished builds in the gallery and a very high probability to hit the teens before it locks! I myself am confident in finishing my KUTA-ish duo for the inspiration gallery before next Sunday, although the plans of the recce-bird just yesterday were subject to quite a revolution, and not to a easier direction at all! Tbc... But now let's all push it, push it hard :coolio:. V-P

Pushing hard , I think i can see its feet :( ( my too ambitious 1/48 build  )

• Like 1

I believe you'll make it, and if you don't, there'll be another week anyway 🙂

I just can't make myself repaint the light blue D-2 another colour, so I'll stick to the original plan after all. There is a recce GB about to begin soon, and I do have one more fresh Ju 88 kit available :hmmm:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Achtung, just a small reminder that we shouldn't comment finished builds in the Gallery thread but in the relevant build thread. Could you please move two such posts, @Enzo the Magnificent 🙂? V-P

I'm afraid I can't really move them, but I have hidden them.  If the person who made the comments would like to repost them in the relevant threads, I'm sure they would be very welcome.

12 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Are you requesting an extension? 

At first I wasn't. I trust my modelling colleagues are better in finishing their builds in time than I am, but looking at several build threads I thought an extension might relieve some pressure and add enjoyment to the final stages, instead of the usual agony and frustration :giggle:. In case @nickhenfrey @Walter @Mottlemaster @stevesoutar @modelling minion @JTninja @JWM @Marklo @Rod The Fixer@AndyE1976 @Icarus @Lanmi @pizzapaolo @Potato Pete @Rafwaffe or @SoftScience don't object, I say thank you for the extension! I'll need it too... V-

• Like 4