Junkers Ju 88 family STGB II Chat

vppelt68

When: 12/11/2022 - 12/02/2023

It's soon four years since the summer of 2016 when we had our first try group building one of the first true multi role combat aircraft, the Ju 88. I admit that STGB wasn't one of the numeral success stories at Britmodeller :weep:. We gathered 21 build threads and only 8 but great gallery entries. Even the GB host :wicked: failed to enter a finished build (in time) there, unforgivable! (I did finish the pair later though, and even added a third one, but they don't count)

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/561-junkers-ju-88-single-type-group-build/

Since then, various new 1:48 variants have become available all originating from ICM but also in Special Hobby and Revell boxes. Revell is also about to release a new variant of their nice 1:72 kit and who knows what will be available by the time this STGB would actually take place?

So, I'm aiming this proposal especially to all of you enjoying building the little brother, Ju 87, in its current STGB. Why not continue with the big brother next year :hmmm:or maybe 2022? V-P

1. vppelt68 (host, and see #28 too)
  2. Corsairfoxfouruncle
  3. Arniec
  4. JOCKNEY
  5. CliffB
  6. Potato Pete
  7. Wez
  8. Coors54
  9. Johnson
  10. Greg Law
  11. Mottlemaster
  12. klr
  13. Retired Bob
  14. Rafwaffe
  15. Rabbit Leader
  16. nimrod54
  17. modelling minion
  18. JWM
  19. stevehnz
  20. DaveyGair
  21. exdraken
  22. Walter
  23. Rob S
  24. Andwil
  25. feoffee2
  26. pizzapaolo
  27. MattG
  28. Marklo (co-host)
  29. 81er
  30. nickhenfrey
  31. JTninja
  32. stevej60
  33. Touvdal
  34. .

Welcome to The Britmodeller Forum Junkers Ju 88 & kin Single Type Group Build!

When: 12.11.2022-12.2.2023. From 12 November this year to 12 February next year, for those that see dates usually written the other way around. Did I write it correctly now?

Hosts: vppelt68 ja Marklo

Eligible subjects: Anything, but only, the numerous variants, developments and conversions of the WW2 Junkers Ju 88 twin engine medium bomber/torpedo bomber/recce/night fighter/whatever. Ju 188 was actually more like a Ju 88 2.0. The 288, 388 and 488 can be seen developed from the 188 which was developed from the 88, so... they're in too. Scale and material are of your own choice.

Start with a new kit: While there the traditional 25% rule with regard to how far progressed any project is at the start of GBs, let's treat this as an optional guideline rather than a rule. Better to get a completed model on display than another stalled project on the shelf of shame. All we ask is that you post the completion photos in the Inspiration Gallery rather than the main Gallery thread.

WIP thread: All builds must have a work in progress- thread. In my opinion, builds based on recently online-reviewed kits need not document the kit more than in a general view of what you´ve got – unless You wish to do that, of course. Should you use aftermarket stuff like decals, etch, resin… please show us what you got!

Multiple builds in one build thread are welcome.

Gallery thread: Each post should contain just one build per entry and no more than five photos. All comments should go in the subject's build thread only, let's keep the gallery neat and tidy!

Swapping: Any parts/decals/kits etc. that you want to buy or sell must be posted in the forum's dedicated Buy/Sell area only.

Poll: There might be one when the GB concludes, for all the completed models in the Gallery. Please don't canvas for votes.

Recommendations: Have fun!

Regards, V-P and Mark

• Like 1

Hi V-P

I have the old Revell Nightfighter version which I have had for longer than I can remember so can I join please.

Also would you allow some of the other variations ?

Mistel, 188, 288, 388, 488 ?

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 23/02/2020 at 09:33, JOCKNEY said:

Hi V-P

I have the old Revell Nightfighter version which I have had for longer than I can remember so can I join please. Also would you allow some of the other variations? Mistel, 188, 288, 388, 488 ?

cheers Pat 

Last time it was ruled by AnonymousDFB1 :rofl2: that only pure Ju 88:s would be eligible - Mistels based on a Ju 88 of course allowed. Since then many things in the BMGBverse have changed to better and many STGB:s nowadays include aircraft more or less closely related to the Decidated One. That is of course just fair, if for example a Spitfire Mk.I and a Seafire FR Mk 47 are considered being of a single type!  Ju 188 was actually more like a Ju 88 2.0. The 288 and 388 can be seen developed from the 188 which was developed from the 88... But including Ju 488 might be stretching too far :coolio:. V-P

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks V-P, I'll guess I'll just have to put this one back in the stash :cry:

Cheers Pat

Pat, those wingtips look so Junkers-made I think we all want to see you building the kit! Must be another of your (not) "shake the box" kits from your never ending stash 🙂. V-P

• Haha 2

I found a post written two years ago in stevej60:s He 111 thread in the MTO GB 2, which I quote here:

"Now although this beast of a weapon probably contributed to my Maltese parents (children at the time) not having a decent feed back in 1942, it’s still intrigues me as a modelling and historical subject. I’ve long had plans to build a Sicily based Ju 88, just need to find a set of related decals and an easy scheme for one of the units that participated in the 2nd seige of Malta."

@Rabbit Leader, I still can´t see your name signed on this Ju 88 STGB, yet :whistle:. I´ll be glad to help you with the decals! V-P

• Like 1

Count me in, I've got a 1/32 Ju 88C-6 conversion that I've been wanting to get to for about 5 years!

Never entered a group build before so it will both a novelty and in incentive.

Dave

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

Warning ... They can be addictive. The conversation, jokes, camaraderie, and learning that is in great abundance in group builds is what make them worth it.   

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I'd be up for making a 1/72 Ju 388 - if I can find one.

There's the Kora kit, but its £70, even if I fancied another resin kit which I don't (sorry, just done 2 in a row and I've overdosed on resin). Maybe find a 2nd hand Special Hobby?

Foolishly, before I discovered BM and got back into serious modelling, I sold my very old Airfix Ju 88 (Red Stripe) with Airmodel 188 conversion on eBay :cry:! Maybe one of you bought it?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would definitely be in on this. Either a Ju 88C-6 Bay of Biscay plane or a Ju 88A-4 torpedo plane based in Norway in 1945 along side my Ju 188-A1. Then again maybe both. 

The C-6 would be 1/48 Dragon kit using Aims decals and Eduard resin wheels.  This plane is in a painting by Mark Postlewaite flying over a Uboot.  I have a signed paint of this painting.

The A-4 would be the 1/48 ICM kit. Most likely Aims decals with Aims cockpit resin and Eduard wheels. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 7:01 PM, Coors54 said:

Count me in, I've got a 1/32 Ju 88C-6 conversion that I've been wanting to get to for about 5 years!

Dave

Your first GB Dave! Very bad form!

I remember the excellent build you did on the 1/48 JU-88 from V/KG 40 a few years ago and if that was anything to go by then a 1/32 one will be fantastic.

As you're a GB virgin it wouldn't be right for me to let you do this alone so I will join in to with a Med based one that I haven't got the time to do for this years MTO GB, so you can add my name to the list V-P.

• Like 2

I did some cross-checking between the Do 17 and Ju 88 STGB participants list. There´s a good reason these two aircraft have gone hand in hand in my mind since I was a kid:

https://www.pienoismalli.com/wwhi_92.htm The first edition was published in 1971 and I remember lending it later from our public library when I was ten or something. So if you who have signed in the Do 17 STGB - @JWM @Fatcawthorne @stevehnz @SoftScience - sign into this Ju 88 STGB too, we´d be already past 20 members and quite close to moving forward :thumbsup:. V-P

• Like 2