Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 (early)

Hi everyone, thought I'd post my latest build/attempt.

I'm not totally happy with the finish but I enjoyed building it, which is the main thing.

This was my first attempt/foray/failure into the lozenge type of decal, or indeed any type of large covering decal. I am pretty sure I made a mistake, dont know if anyone on here can confirm that I did indeed go wrong? I decided to apply the lozenge decals onto bare styrene. I had a hell of a job getting them to stick, also they became very brittle. After they were dry just the slightest touch to trim them would make part of them shatter. Dont look too close to the leading edges of the wings.

Over the last couple of years I have come to enjoy doing rigging on my WW1 builds, this plane had next to none. I was finished in ten minutes, whereas I made a AMC DH2  a while back which took me over a week to rig. I am very happy with my wooden propeller and loved the little map on the drop down table in the cockpit.

I'm still very much making it up as I go along when it comes to weathering. I put too much dried salt effect on the floats of this I think.

One day I will take a good pic.

Would love to read any comments, all the best, Martin

20200216_145815 20200216_145858 20200209_185205 20200209_185332 20200209_185218 20200209_185114 20200209_185506 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12

• Like 12

Lovely model. My experience (over about 55 years) tells me that decals will not adhere to bare styrene and will, as you discovered, dry out and come away in nasty flakes. A coat of paint is always necessary under decals, even if it is only primer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, riever49 said:

Lovely model. My experience (over about 55 years) tells me that decals will not adhere to bare styrene and will, as you discovered, dry out and come away in nasty flakes. A coat of paint is always necessary under decals, even if it is only primer.

Thanks mate, I wont make the same mistake again. 

Maybe it will push me into trying airbrushing. 

Cheers, Martin