FAA Corsairs EIF

styreno

I've noticed that on many FAA Corsairs in EIF markings that the entire cowl flaps, including the top ones, are operable. These aircraft lack the blanking plate fitted to prevent oil leaks and smearing on the windscreen. This can be seen on the following videos:

https://youtu.be/KM1PvJwQmcE

https://youtu.be/-XKdaKadgNg

Does anyone know if this was a field unit-level modification, or only done at MU level? It is not lacking on BPF Corsairs (that I have seen).

@styreno,

See if this information helps. The link is from Osprey Air Vanguard 17: Vought F4U Corsair.

https://books.google.com/books?id=AMCnCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=F4U-1+fixed+cowl+flaps&source=bl&ots=Zzpv-22cmY&sig=ACfU3U26uPkbSo279FCwy5f8SU4GnJuDBw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjfrrfQ29bnAhUGVs0KHSjYBEgQ6AEwDXoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=F4U-1 fixed cowl flaps&f=false

From the photos and text of F4U-1 Corsair, Volume 1, page 16, by Dana Bell, I have paraphrased the following:

'Cowling flaps completely encircled the engine cowl  on all Birdcage Corsairs. Initially the flaps were hydraulically activated, although a mechanical system was installed retroactively and at the factories beginning with the F4U-1 BuNo 02578, F3A-1  BuNo 04530, and FG-1 BuNo 13001. Fluid leaks spattered the windscreen, so the Navy ordered the top three cowl flaps battened down. When the battened flaps ripped off in flight, the Navy ordered in  April, 1944 a fixed reinforcement plate be screwed over them.'

Looking at the videos you posted, it is possible that the Corsairs that had cowl flaps open around the entire circumference were fitted with the mechanically actuated cowl flaps. I am guessing that engine oil that leaked out of the the cylinder heads/rocker boxes on those aircraft fitted with the mechanical system is what brought about the installation of the reinforcement plate. I hope this information will be useful. Knowing the date of the film footage and/or the BuNo or serials of the Corsairs would help.

Mike

• Like 1

The reels in the first clip are precisely dated, covering the period 19-24 August 1944, the build-up to Operation BANQUET on 24 August.  They depict aircraft from Victorious (NB deck code V).  I spotted Corsair 7Q of 1834 Sq, Corsairs 8B, 8G, 8K and 8M of 1836 Sq and Barracuda 5H of 817 Squadron.  One of the Corsairs, possibly 8B, is JT422. 

The other clip is of a different carrier (no deck code, Corsair codes red outlined in white vice white only on Victorious) but at about the same time ie before the Barracudas had been landed.

Not that this helps answer OP's question!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the second film with 1830 and 1833 Sqn, there is a mix of cowls up and down when they are warming up engines. Its hard to say with certainty in that scene if they are pre or post-mod.

Of interest is the gas patches on port wing I think I have mentioned before at some point...