Mj.Levines Worn Out Spitfire Vb.Trop 1:48

A couple of months ago i thought about what to choose as my 1st WW2 plane when a friend gave me this Airfix' Spitfire & Eduard Cockpit as a gift, so descision was made.

Since it was the first time i was using a resin cockpit and being only my 4th model at all you confidently can say i'm still a novice in scalemodelling and not everything worked out as smooth as planed.

Although i spent quite a bit of time to dryfit & thinning the cockpit several times it was unruly to snuggle in the fuselage when it was time and only with some force and cut offs it worked out, well, lesson learned

next time i will do it even more thoroughly.

BTW the Eduard Resin Cockpit is a beautiful little mode by itself. 

Another issue were the numerous paint lift offs by Tamiya tape which really were a pain especially when happens on the edges to the multicoulerd insignias.....

One thing i found a bit odd was the landing gear construction by Mr. Airfix, honestly the person who developed this must have been in a joker mood and should be sentenced to glue 

it A Thousend Times! My first glueing attempt was rewarded with a decent flop down and Mj. Levines Spit laid on its belly......

I add a bomb which was part of the kit and scratched the bomb holder from Evergreen and add the plumbing though i have no idea if Mj. Levines Spit ever carried one so it's a

little '' What If '' factor but i find it looks sharp on a Spitfire.

In the end i'm pretty happy that i struggled through this build an have this elegant WW2 fighter in my collection.

All the best for you current builds!

Hans

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Since not many of the cockpit is visible one enclosed in the fuselage here some snapshots from the building process....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mj. Levines worn out seat...-..

spacer.png

The kit part were not very convincing so i made ones myself...

spacer.png

Not many will be seen later but i know it's there....

spacer.png

I originally painted this in Sky since i first was going for another Vb. Spitfire with a different camouflage...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by supersonic
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 1

I cannot believe that this is your 4th model! I have built around 40 models when I was around 12, 13 years old - ok I wouldn't count them really since I glued more my fingers than anything else and didn't even care to paint my model - and around another 5 since I re-entered the hobby but none of my builds ever looked as good as this Spitfire. I am impressed - a real winner that you have there. Looking forward to see your 10th model 🙂

That's really excellent work. You have a real talent for detail.  I like the way you weathered it. It looks weary but not overdone to my eye. 

Just a couple of nitpicks. The stars on the fuselage are tilted forward. Also the original had covers on main wheels. Removed for maintenance obviously on yours!

A couple of tips, the tyres need to be flattened slightly where they meet the ground particularly with a bomb attached. Also when you weather propellers it's the rear of the blades that suffer most not the front. Particularly in a rough desert environment. That seems counterintuitive but there are good aerodynamic reasons for it. 

Great work. I look forward to seeing number 5. Any plans? 

Edited by noelh

Very well done, especially for only your 4th kit. I don5 think my 14th will turn out as nice!

One tip from me: the canopy frames look to be a bit translucent. You can take care of this on future builds by painting the interior color first, then going over it with the exterior color. Will add a bit of realism overall!

Thanks for sharing!

@RadMax8

Thanks for your very kind comments, concerning canopy i agree completely, thought that too when i saw the pics, in the future i will paint the canopy from the inside too.

Edited by supersonic
  • Like 1

Looks really impressive especially as it's only your 4th model you have built, concerning the canopy, you don't need to paint the inside, all you need to do is mask off the canopy from the outside and spray the first colour which will be the interior colour, then spray over that with the camoflage colour

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...