Trumpeter 1/72 Su-33 Россия 🇷🇺 иацч

Valkyrie

49530226838_7f13581ef5_b.jpg

Been saving this for something special, and until I could give it a half decent go...now is the time. I have all the Akan Russian naval paints and the kit comes with extras and a good decal sheet. I also have the massive Begomot sheets if I feel like switching up the markings...

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Kicked things off today with the cockpit, using Akan’s modern cockpit blue...while I had it out I started a Trumpeter MiG-29 SMT.

Then I got the seat painted, decal led it up and stuck it together. Really lovely detail on this..

49610353212_8496112edf_b.jpg

49610099561_e964d6c2c9_b.jpg

• Like 6

Small progress..there are no instructions detailing to add nose weight or how much, but I’ve enough jet building experiences to know it probably requires it. Easy to do, pour in the tiny lead balls then secure with super glue.

49635178823_6fa939eb12_b.jpg

Clear parts are nice and shiny, fit could be better but sure once glued hopefully close up the tiny gaps.

49635178828_914741c143_b.jpg

• Like 3

Progress update, looks quite rough bit I think it should be ok. The radome fit was not great and the canopy was a struggle. In the garage with the primer drying.

49662430316_b65748347a_b.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Good progress so far,never built a Flanker but lucky enough to see one flying a few years ago.

I think if I’d had actually got to see a real one fly it’s probably all I would build! Lucky boy 

Ukrainian? Russian?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I think if I’d had actually got to see a real one fly it’s probably all I would build! Lucky boy 

Ukrainian? Russian?

It was at RAF Finningley Valkyrie in the late nineties I have a photo somewhere I think she belonged to the Russian Knights I well remember the

famous  "Cobra",also saw the mighty Viggen flying but remember the French Air Force Mirage 2000's display one of the best I've seen!

• Like 1

Day 1 of 12 weeks of isolation and the paints are out. Tamiya fine grey rattle can primer really brought out such fine details. Brush paint now of blue Akan SU-33 deck surface trial on the rear tail parts. It looks quite Ukrainian blue but it’s a first coat.

49677000867_f7b4731a17_b.jpg

• Like 3

No painting instructions from the kit to follow so while messing about checking my Akan SU-33 range the dark blue grey spilt onto luckily a houmous lid, so I just had to be brave and go for it, then I thought what the hell, I’ve been holding back for 2 years, ain’t gonna build itself. The detail is really fine and held up really well to 3 coats of brush painted colours.

Bit rough, but I want to do a really salty weather beaten look

2020-03-21 13:06:31

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 7

Thanks you for the kind comments guys. The Akan paints are not very hard wearing so already there are a few scrapes etc and there’s some bits could maybe do with a going over, but I don’t want the paint perfect, definitely looking for that maritime look.

Stuck a few decals on just motivate me 

49686497168_f445988dd1_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning work on the engine exhausts, these can take a lot of to get a metallic finish with all the burnt colours. Rough matt black base, then il be having a go with burnt iron, blue metal, copper and a bit of gold and silver

49731331876_648a4db527_b.jpg

• Like 3

Small update from the weekend...fins attached and cans finished. I’m hoping a satin varnish will help the metallic look. Looking for a rusty/browny maritime style wash for the panel lines...any good recommendations welcome please.

Hope to have this done by next week.

49743172997_1ba88a2e07_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All the main decals done but my Russian navy flag on the port side needs to be further back, Trumpeter guide incorrect, same as their MiG-29 SMT 

Hopefully I can get it off and get a begemot spare on in the right place. Waiting on some brown wash and a metal probe coming. 

49789222522_6accc91cee_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My first attempt at panel line products and highlighting, weathering with oil brushers 

Tryimg to do a salty worn rusty russian hush seas left on deck weather beaten look 

49873980228_af24c031d2_b.jpg

• Like 5

My first attempt at panel line products and highlighting, weathering with oil brushers 

Tryimg to do a salty worn rusty russian sea look 

Now got her mounted and undercarriage posed down coming in to land on deck. The arrest or hook has only positions for locked so suppose it could be taking off....or posed landed....or try make something for the hook. Pylons next then really just small bits....

49878355311_327f45a066_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased an aftermarket probe and boy was it a fiddle to make up but I think it’s really worth it.

49977520172_3f2cfce514_b.jpg

Also undercarriage and gear doors on. I’ve got all the weaponry built up but I think I like it unarmed. Canards and probes to go on then I think it’s about there...

49977258506_740fdbcff6_b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks @rob85 I think you can’t really over weather a Russian aircraft so I was really playing safe doing this as a first go. I’m particularly pleased with my rust and lightened sea weather beaten look. I’m glad you like it so I think I won’t tinker with it then

• Like 1