1/72 Esci Sea Harrier FRS1..with a bump DONE!

Dermo245

Hi all and taking the plunge with this one, Esci's lovely Sea Harrier FRS1

That second plane in the pattern looks a bit close!

49539462903_d6d8ded5a8_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_box by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Inside the box..

49539958521_7cb9649fc9_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_contents by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

49539958376_35b6cee145_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_contents_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The plan is OOB but will try to display in a diorama..

Thanks for looking and enjoy your builds

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Completed!
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

So we're off on this one.

Found a suitable base for the diorama and mocked-up some shipping containers from paper to see if they would fit..

49588157137_1e02a99025_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_diorama_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then pulled a previous build of a Sea Harrier from the cabinet to make sure that would fit...yep looks ok to me!

49588157132_b956783b89_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_diorama_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And finally started on some shipping containers. Just plasticard and rod...this was my best after about 4 attempts (remember, measure twice, cut once!)

49587913151_fbf63a8569_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_container_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 13

Oooh, I am liking this Dermot. The container looks rather good!

I was a bit confused about the bump part of you title, but it is all making sense now. I'll be interested to see how the rest of the deck goes. Wasn't there some sort of 4 wheel drive that ended up under the Harrier as well?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Oooh, I am liking this Dermot. The container looks rather good!

I was a bit confused about the bump part of you title, but it is all making sense now. I'll be interested to see how the rest of the deck goes. Wasn't there some sort of 4 wheel drive that ended up under the Harrier as well?

Thanks everyone!

Spot on Ray...it was called 'a builder's van' in the news reports but from what I can tell was a 60s Merc Camper Van. I might have to take creative licence with that one..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Quite a production line of containers there Dermot, mind doing a few extra for me? 😉

BTW, they look great.

Thank you.

Can send you the parts if you’re interested?!

Hello all,

So in between working from home, home-schooling and walking the dog (all due to the virus), got a little bit more done on these.

Pre-shaded the containers with black first and then a coat of red-brown on two of them. Added more brown to the colour cup to give a different shade for the third. It's hard to see in the photos but happy with the shading. The colours are Revel Acrylics, thinned with Tamiya X-20A and through a cheapie airbrush.

49665543008_5199f8e8c7_b.jpgContainers_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

For the fourth container, I went with a  plain blue just to give some variation in colours.

49666366572_05cbdfc1de_b.jpgContainers_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Next will be a gloss coat, weathering and some decals from the spares box. The keen-eyed will also spot the Harrier in progress in the background!

And that's it for now. 

Look after yourselves and stay safe.

Cheers,

Dermot (in Dublin)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, hope you're keeping well.

So a bit more done with these. The containers have been weathered (wash and pastel dust) and with a coat of Klear to seal it in.

49704163733_aec32edbab_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_container_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The pictures of the incident show some kind of plate on top of one of the containers so made that as well from plasticard. Roughly painted steel, will be weathered quite a bit..

49704163268_e6708b75f5_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_diorama_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The Harrier has been painted and glossed. First time I tried pre-shading and didn't really work out. But learned a lot from it, will know better the next time. The colour is Extra Dark Sea Grey but lightened a bit. Looks better in the flesh than in this picture..

49705012552_54f3913c7e_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And then onto the van which was stuck underneath the left wing. From researching around the interweb, it looks like it's a Mercedes L206 Campervan. You can get it as diecast model but it's 1/87 so a bit small. But I managed to find some similar plans for a LWB version and also enlarged a pic of the diecast one to 1/72. So will use those as the basis for scratching something from plasticard and whatever else I can find here. Have never built a vehicle from scratch so this could be interesting...

49704163543_496e064389_b.jpgEsci Sea Harrier FRS1_diorama_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And that's it for now! Thanks for looking and stay safe.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Harrier looks good and the containers are spot on 👍

Good luck with the scratch built van, will be interesting to watch it come together.

AW

• Thanks 1

This is gonna be amazing! Those containers alone are fantastic, and I don’t doubt you’ll nail the vehicle too.

Eng

• Thanks 1

I’m deliberately NOT googling “Harrier and containers” so the ending of this will be a surprise! Nice work on the containers - you were lucky not to run out of strip. The Sea Harrier looks good too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

I missed the Alraigo incident first time around (I was working abroad at the time), so have enjoyed catching up now.

What an inspired project :popcorn:

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work thus far!  I had browsed this thread earlier and mistook the cargo containers for part of a scene from MV Atlantic Conveyor.  The Alraigo Incident is much more unusual (and amusing!).

With respect to the unfortunate van, it's not quite the same make & model but FYI PJ Productions of Belgium do make a VW Vanagon in God's Own Scale:

PJ Productions 1/72 Vehicles

The similarities in shape/body style seem like it might be a worthwhile shortcut to modify into the corect vehicle, should scratchbuilding be a problem.