1/72 Special Hobby Northrop/Canadian Vickers Delta Mk.II

ckw

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I bought this one thinking it would be a good subject for practicing a natural metal finish. Later a bit of research revealed the Canadian Vickers build were painted in an aluminium paint. Doh! Never mind, I used Extreme Metals white aluminium which seemed to closest represent the look I saw in photos. Pretty much built OOB, but decided to open the cargo door to add a bit of interest and unnecessarily lengthen the build 🙂.

An OK kit - small transparencies were a pain so resorted to Krystel Klear for the little cockpit windows and door windows, with acetate from packaging for the cabin windows. 

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

That looks great. The work involved in opening the hatch waist my view, well worth the effort. Seen a few of these built in various guises and it is an endearing type. Be nice if Special Hobby would grace us with a 1/48 scale version!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive replies - this was my first RFI post, and now I've got a mini-studio and hosting sorted out, I'm encouraged to post more.

17 hours ago, occa said:

Excellent, but could we have more photos please ?

Sorry I didn't post more - as a one time pro photographer (aviation & yachting) I have a deeply embedded self-editing filter (less is more) which I think may be impossible to over-ride!

But here's just one more ...

spacer.png

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Lovely.

The tail fin looks very much like that of the DC-2 - which was a Jack Northrop design, of course.

Yes - there is a similarity ... though this tail fin was only added from the Mk. II (I think). The Mk.1 had an arguably much more graceful smaller and rounded fin/rudder.

Northrop is a fascinating and innovative designer. My Delta sits on the shelf beside a P-61 ... hard to believe they stemmed from the same pen! A collection of Northrop designs would make an interesting display - perhaps a subject for a group build.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin, I have just received an email from noted Canadian aviation author, Carl Vincent, with some things he wants me to post here.

I.     That it is an excellent model of RCAF Delta 667. The open cargo hatch really lifts it into an upper class!

II.     My only criticism has nothing to do with the quality of the model but of the designation. It is noted as a Delta III. It is, in fact, a Delta II.

III.    Delta 667 was the prototype RCAF Delta and is interesting among other reasons because of the fact that during its RCAF career it progressed             through all three Marks before ending up as an instructional airframe.

IV.    I attach four photos to illustrate this progression:

1. As first produced as a Delta I. All the early Deltas were produced initially on floats and were launched as such from the factory.

49549763782_71c0b285be_b.jpg

2.         After its conversion to a Delta II in 1937/38.

49549763822_6fb6c34048_b.jpg

3.         After conversion to a Delta III in 1940 and is depicted in service with 120 (BR) Squadron at Patricia Bay. I am not certain of the aircraft code but I believe that it                    would be MX. K.

49549763862_4a66091742_b.jpg

4.         As an instructional airframe. It was allotted the instructional serial number A143 but I suspect that this was never actually applied.

49549534131_97b9721072_b.jpg

If any of my fellow Britmo members are contemplating modelling an RCAF Delta, they are free to PM me if they feel that I can be of any assistance and I will do my best.

You can find Carl here: @Carl V

Chris

• ckw changed the title to 1/72 Special Hobby Northrop/Canadian Vickers Delta Mk.II

Thanks very much for the correction (and the kind words) - not sure how I got that wrong! Probably looked at too many pics and confused myself. I've edited the post.

I'm extremely unlikely to revisit this subject myself - too many planes, too little time - but I'm sure the pics will be appreciated by others.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1