KoPro Mig-21BIS, Kuopio Air Base, Finland, 1980...

John Masters

Just catching up on this build John. I say, what a great WIP and you’ve rectified quite a few issues as the build as progressed. Nice work on the paint job as well, colours look good to my eye. So nice to see one of these MiG’s being built and do think that we’ve all covered a good lot of Nordic subjects within this GB. Well done everyone. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Decals are on and it is looking like a reasonable facsimile of a Mig-21bis...

Terrible decals.  So, so fragile and the stencils are rudimentary at best.  I suggest if one were to build another one of these KP kits (and I will) to opt out for 100% aftermarket markings.  Just more reliable in so many ways.  Still...I like it!  Later today I will varnish, attach the air brakes and the nose aerial...whizz-bangs, etc...then probably pin-wash with dark oils.

49612933427_3839d765e7_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

16 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Decals are on and it is looking like a reasonable facsimile of a Mig-21bis...

Terrible decals.  So, so fragile and the stencils are rudimentary at best.  I suggest if one were to build another one of these KP kits (and I will) to opt out for 100% aftermarket markings.  Just more reliable in so many ways.  Still...I like it!  Later today I will varnish, attach the air brakes and the nose aerial...whizz-bangs, etc...then probably pin-wash with dark oils.

49612933427_3839d765e7_c_d.jpg

--John

Hmmm the Sprue’s and decal situation remind me of my Bilek MiG-21 build from a couple years ago ? Wonder if the two companies are connected ? 

Et voila...c'est fini!    I finished it last night and did a bit of griming up with some black/brown oil pin washing.  Not so much.  Just a bit.  It shows better on the underside than the top, but it's there.  The rest of the pics are in the gallery along with a bit of a play-by-play.

49616972447_0816fdd441_c_d.jpg

Many thanks to the Mods for this GB.  Once again I find myself modelling beyond my means and in awe of the fine examples of this hobby from other benches.

Every time I think, "Oh...I'll just build a so-and-so..." a GB pops up in which it fits.  I'm a lucky boy.

--John

• Like 4

Oh yes - very nice Mig to be proud of! :)  I have the same kit waiting on the shelf, good to know about decals so I might keep my eyes open for aftermarket ones. But once they are on, they seem to look good anyways! :)