Alclad2 ACL-303 Honey Primer Base

Ratch

3 hours ago, Ratch said:

I guess its not worth bothering with then :tumble:

Well it is usefull..honey primer is a clear coat primer and can be used on any surface....I used it too make a chrome finish over my Matt BLACK stynylrez primer and works well and also gives a durable finish..

As the stynylrez is selfleveling the finish is great allready and I put the clear on it to get a good coat for the chrome or whatever allclad you use..( stynylrez has a gloss coat as well but don’t like it’s behavior )

You can use it on plastic whitout another coat of color underneath it ..as it says it is a clearcoat primer..

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting Jan, but I don't hear of any benefit or alteration in appearance of the finished paintwork, and that's my point. I have used it but cannot see any difference between panels sprayed with honey primer and those left just gloss black undercoat. I am yet to be convinced of any benefits of using the stuff.

Yeah I’ve never understood a clear primer if you’re going to cover it with paint. 
plus will be harder to spot defects, one of the reasons for primer. 

Although I like Jans idea of turning what ever base color primer you’re using to complement your final shade into a shiny surface to get a good finish for metal lacquer colours. Which wouldn’t have a problem with shiny surfaces. 

• Thanks 1

@RatchI have used different gloss paints for alclad metal colors as a base and some of them when used couldn’t hold the alclad and could be rubbed of!
I don’t have this with the honey primer and they call it a primer I think just because it is a good base for the alclad in order to put any color underneath it ..

So if you have different shade of grey and black in Matt paint on your subject then you can gloss it up in the end and just put one fine layer of the metal color you like and have all the shades of metal you like..

In my experience Matt paint covers better then gloss so that will be a benefit ..I tried it and I like it😉

cheers, Jan

• Like 1