Mirage IIICJ, #45, 117th squadron, Israel Air Force, 1967 (Eduard, 1/48)

cema_ga

Hi comrades!

Here is my next NMF project. IAF Mirage #45. This fighter is special because his unique kills - one Lebanon and two Iraq (Most of the IAF kills were against Syrian/Egypt aircrafts). This specific jet finished his career early (1969-70) in training accident.

The kit is the better kit available today (IMHO), with some aftermarket - Armycast wheel wells, Res-kit engine and wheels, Eduard etch (bigger than OOB).

Underwing stores will include two 500l tanks only.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

Let's start:

010.jpg
011.jpg

006.jpg
007.jpg
009.jpg
016.jpg
017.jpg

So far I assembled the engine (MUCH more detailed and delicate than OOB), installed the resin wheel wells (with some additional wiring) and assembled the wing. Next  - cockpit!

• Like 13

Hi comrades!

Office done with some scratch additions and enhancements: Throttle scratch-built, different wires added, some boxes and low ejection handle added to the ejection seat, dashboard painted. Only aftermarket so far is Eduard's super-fabric seat belts.

Upper ejection handle will be added later to the seat.

018b.jpg
018c.jpg
019.jpg
020.jpg
022.jpg
026.jpg
028.jpg
029.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, PattheCat said:

The name Mirage is sufficient to retain my full attention. The detail you're putting in makes it even more appealing.

Nice work so far.

Thank You! The OOB detailing is sparse and brass can't add to much in this model.  So, I just add what I can.

Just pondering if my next build will be a Mirage F1 (Special Hobby 1/72) or Kfir (AMK 1/48). So if I choose the Kfir may I ask you which colours you would use for a C7 of the Arava Guardians in 1990. The instructions state FS 36375 (H308), FS 33531 (H313), FS 30219 (H310), FS34424 (an improbable mix between Enamel 612 and acrylic H314) . These Gunze equivalents do not all match what I thought to be correct (at least for the upper surfaces green quoted as FS34424 which I thought was more like duck egg green H74 and should the under surfaces not be be somewhat darker than H308 - H57 maybe?) . Is it that the colour shades applied to the Mirages and early Kfirs were different from these of the later Kfirs? 

Thanks a lot.

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, PattheCat said:

hese Gunze equivalents do not all match what I thought to be correct (at least for the upper surfaces green quoted as FS34424 which I thought was more like duck egg green H74 and should the under surfaces not be be somewhat darker than H308 - H57 maybe?) . Is it that the colour shades applied to the Mirages and early Kfirs were different from these of the later Kfirs? 

Hi!

I build early Mirage in NMF. The tricolor camo of later Mirages and Kfirs (and F-16, and F-15I) uses same colors over the years (IMHO). The best way to paint with Gunze is to mix them for achieving the true color (IMHO). May be "AK Real" paints are better in color matching but same to Gunze C series in airbrushing quality. I used them (Japanese Army colors) and they are great.

1 hour ago, cema_ga said:

Hi!

I build early Mirage in NMF. The tricolor camo of later Mirages and Kfirs (and F-16, and F-15I) uses same colors over the years (IMHO). The best way to paint with Gunze is to mix them for achieving the true color (IMHO). May be "AK Real" paints are better in color matching but same to Gunze C series in airbrushing quality. I used them (Japanese Army colors) and they are great.

Thanks for your helpful answer.

• Thanks 1

Really great work, the cockpit looks fantastic! I have a IIICJ planned from the Heller kit using the Eduard details and decals so an interest topic for me. How do you plan to do the NMF? I agree also on the AK real colors being much better matches than Gunze in the few I have used, I plan to use more in the future. 

Best,

David 

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2020 at 10:46 AM, dov said:

Hallo

Nice model.

I think it will be great, after finishing it.

Actually I work on the Baz.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235066771-f-15a-baz/

Happy modelling

Thank You!

And I will use Your Hasegawa Baz build like future reference for me. It looks fantastic so far!

Shimon

On 2/29/2020 at 2:28 PM, mirageiv said:

Really great work, the cockpit looks fantastic! I have a IIICJ planned from the Heller kit using the Eduard details and decals so an interest topic for me. How do you plan to do the NMF? I agree also on the AK real colors being much better matches than Gunze in the few I have used, I plan to use more in the future. 

Best,

David 

Hi!

Thank You! I plane to make NMF with Gunze Super Metallic2 series of paints. Lets see the result together!

Shimon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi comrades!

Mirage assembled. Main difficulties were in the join between intakes and lower wing. Other places - relatively free of pain. Original profi-pack masks for transparencies are dead (20 years old), so I made a replacement.

Next - primers, Gunze 500 to hide the micro-scratches and 1500 to give a good base for metallic paint.

040.jpg
042.jpg
045.jpg
046.jpg
047.jpg
048.jpg
049.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi comrades!

Painted!

I'm very happy with Gunze Super Metallic 2 series. 

I hope my NMF don't look boring.

IMG-8098.jpg
IMG-8099.jpg
IMG-8101.jpg
IMG-8102.jpg
IMG-8104.jpg
IMG-8105.jpg
IMG-8107.jpg
IMG-8108.jpg
IMG-8109.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi comrades!

My Mirage got the decals, panel wash, some scratch additions to the wheel legs and finished.

More and better photos I'll post in the RFI section sometimes on this week.

049a.jpg
049b.jpg
049c.jpg
050.jpg
051.jpg
052.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 4

Now that's fetching!

The last few days I've been fondling my 1/72ns AML / RV Mirage IIIC's... rough around the edges to say the least. Come on, Special Hobby! ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

Excellent finish on this kit. The under wing-intake joint is very difficult on this kit but u did very well. Complex joint. 

Ur NMF looks great on this bird. 

I am working on the SAAF version of this kit but got an extra Overtree kit in during the week (€8) and asked my 10 year old daughter to pick the colour scheme for the Overtree kit; and she picked the NMF option 😞

• Thanks 1