Panzer Mk II Tamiya 1/35

GRK

Hi all

I've finished the new Tamiya kit of the Panzer Mk II and I've almost finished its diorama which i'll be posting up shortly. I enjoyed the build, the tracks were a nice intermediate step between going from rubber banks to the link by link that i'm currently working on my Bronco A13 Mk IV. 

Unfortunately I've got a lot of silvering on the decals and I'm not sure why. I'd gloss coated and used micro sol/set products as per normal and all seemed fine. I then applied a matt coat and started doing some oil weathering and then all of a sudden the decals started to silver really badly which has spoilt the model. It does look worse in the pictures and I think when the model is sat in the diorama the overall effect looks good and its only when you get up and close that you notice. I was struggling to get the decals on the turret to conform round the hatches and had applied several coats of micro sol but the Tamiya decals seemed very thick. 

This is also the first time I've tried to muddy up an AFV. I used some MIG pigments and washes with a soil/pva mixture and roughly based the amount of mud on this picture:

Panzer_II_number_541

Anyway, 2nd AFV complete and more lessons learnt to be applied to the A13:

IMG_5822 IMG_5816

IMG_5817

IMG_5818

IMG_5823

IMG_5821

• Like 14

1 hour ago, GRK said:

Thanks both, if anyone has any tips or solutions for my decal problem, I’m all ears 

Try using a thin brush and paint some of the base coat on the offending silvered areas. I've always found Tamiya decals to be a bit on the thick side and can be a right royal PITA to get them to conform to anything other than a completely flat surface.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:
3 hours ago, GRK said:

Thank you, hadn’t thought of that!

Try using a thin brush and paint some of the base coat on the offending silvered areas.

Tamiya is notorious for having thick decals, so that may have contributed to the silvering.  Could be all kinds of other culprits that contributed - uneven paint surface, not enough gloss, not enough cure time, gloss lost due too much decal handling, too much decal solvent compromised gloss coat ...

Nice model nonetheless, and John's tip should help correct the offending areas.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1