Filling after priming and filling in general

A_S

Hi all

decided to fill some of my fine gaps - however I seem to still end up with gaps after priming - can I fill after priming?

already tried twice and stripped the model in brake fluid and started again but whatever I do I can’t seem to fill well enough!

using Vallejo filler. Seems to be quite an art this filling lark!

would upload some but not sure of a good site

It’s worked ok on the left of the photo but not the right and on the leading edge of the bumper at the top. to the left of the lamp pod you can’t see the seam but it’s pretty prominent on the right and below the lamp pod

TgNlGGl

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by A_S

Careful with brake fluid on styrene, I've had a Hasegawa kit that became very brittle after a bath in DOT3.

You need to give us a bit more info, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe you're hydrating the putty when putting primer on. I've had it happen to me when using 1K putties, which is why I tend to stick to either Superglue or 2K putty.

Another explanation might be in the sanding technique, perhaps you're using a very soft sponge type sanding stick and that can actually remove the putty from the seam (which isn't that hard to do with "acrylic putty". 

Grab a jar of Mr. Surfacer 500, dab some on the seam and let it harden properly over night. I think it will be enough to properly fill the hole.

What sort of info do you need? Still learning myself! I applied initial filler on Thursday and second coated last night. Left 10 hours or so to dry and primed with Tamiya fine primer this morning

ive tried to fill again so let’s see what happens!

UZbum5S.jpg

kv6tOEa.jpg

I've got the Vallejo filler myself and to be honest aren't all that impressed by it. Personally, i try to give it longer than 10 hours to fully set, but I still find it susceptible to pulling out of whatever hole you're trying to fill and don't even think of trying to wet sand it (!). It also seems to have a tendency to shrink back with primer, so for all but the smallest holes you're probably going to be filling, priming and repeating.

I won't be getting any more of this - just haven't got myself another filler yet so probably creating more work for myself. But rest assured, you can get there in the end.

Thanks - I managed to sand re-prime the front, sand again and just got the top coat done and it looks decent but probably too much paint on the front end after all that work - hopefully looks ok in natural light tomorrow!

I'm no expert but from my experience...

The Tamiya fine-surface primer you're using (rattle can?) is lacquer based I think, so you really shouldn't need to fully strip it - you should be able to sand it back without it flaking or as your first question asked, add a little more filler - lacquer based stuff sticks amazing to plastic.

I tend to use AK filler, the issue I usually have is that it's a little softer than styrene and thus it's easier to 'sand out' of the seam / join etc. I also think it may rehydrate and become softer during wet sanding.

I've not use Vallejo stuff but their paints, etc. tend to be on the safer chemical spectrum so possibly the filler is water based solvent, which may well take a long time to set as others have mentioned, this could cause it to shrink somewhat in deep fills so wait a good while before sanding back in case it later shrinks.

Edited by Scargsy