This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

wannsee

Revell (Great Britain) Potters Bar and London

Gentlemen,

As the webmaster of Frog Model Aircraft which I am sure you know, I am looking for some history of Revell GB so as to put a page on my site. A lot of great kits were produced in the UK including the "Small Frame Box series" plus a lot of classics including the Rotodyne.

I have the current Revell history books but scant mention is made to the UK operation.

Does anyone know the history and details of the factory at potters bar?

Many thanks in advance

Martin

I have a Revell GB "Catalogue 1960-1961".  Each Revell logo has "Manufactured in Great Britain".

Some kits I've never heard of and some still going like the Dr.I Triplane!  Did Revell actually make kits for the Rover 3 Litre or Ford Consul De-luxe?

The only address is where it says "Published by Revell (Great Britain) Ltd., Maidstone House, 25-27 Berners Street, London W.1."  That's in the heart of the West End and the old building (it's recently been redeveloped) looks like the sort of place many companies would have been based in.  Presumably the manufacture was elsewhere, if not already at Potters Bar?

Manufacture in the UK was pretty much essential back in those days of exchange control, I assume less US dollars leaving the country for mould loan(?) and licensing, than would have been needed for importing entire kits.  Thus Revell could compete in UK market for the pocket money market with Airfix and Frog.

Cheers 

Will

Thank you ! Maidstone house has indeed been re-developed. In my collection of small frame boxes, 60% are marked made in Great Britain whilst others just say Revell Inc california. Also instruction sheets vary with some saying Litho in GB.

I agree about the exchange control thought. Also were the tools made in the UK?

I am trying to find records but unlike Frog I cannot find anything at the moment

The hunt continues

spacer.png

One point of interest the box art was very English as well as the wonderful art of the late Brian Knight, with his iconic style.

I understand that when Revell GB ceased operations the moulds were transfered to Germany. Like Frog many of the moulds still survive and are in use by Revell to this day.

Edited by wannsee