TBD Devastator Airfix 1/72

What the others have said- if you hadn't identified it, I would guessed a 1/48 kit for sure. I really, really like the realistic staining of the paintwork! Keeping my fingers crossed that the new Airfix gets around to this one! You should be proud of this one. 👍

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

What the others have said- if you hadn't identified it, I would guessed a 1/48 kit for sure. I really, really like the realistic staining of the paintwork! Keeping my fingers crossed that the new Airfix gets around to this one! You should be proud if this one. 👍

Mike

I agree completely with Mike. I'm finishing up my 48th scale Devastator and am struggling on how to weather and stain mine realistically.  Yours looks great, so any tips for me would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

I agree completely with Mike. I'm finishing up my 48th scale Devastator and am struggling on how to weather and stain mine realistically.  Yours looks great, so any tips for me would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

I do shading using oil paint. I'm enbrighting panels using white undiluted oil. Then I'm brushing them with clean, dried brush to make soft edges. To dark smudges I'm using dark paint. I'm making oil stains with highly undiluted white spirit. In this model the way of proper sticking the decal on wings is very important. If you have low quality decal, it's better to paint insignia with paint.

Who doesn’t like an old kit that’s been scrubbed up to modern day standards? That’s just fantastic work and it all looks so good in that great paint job. New tools of this and a good Dauntless are long overdue. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Who doesn’t like an old kit that’s been scrubbed up to modern day standards? That’s just fantastic work and it all looks so good in that great paint job. New tools of this and a good Dauntless are long overdue. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave

Thank you very much for your good words. I like rivets in this old set. There was a time when we all hated rivets because we loved "sunken" panel lines. Hasegawa has the perfect standard of this convention. In this model I made a mixture of rivets - on the middle parts of the hull and some "sunken" panel lines. For example this panel between the wing and fuselage. These panels are made by attaching foil - for example, bombardier doors. And I feel that the diversity of the construction surface of this model element gives a realistic effect.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• 1 month later...

When I started this model, I was afraid that it would not be possible to make it a good model. But I succeeded. This does not always happen. Thank you colleagues for the good word. Damn, now I see that I forgot to mount the telescope - scope, -)

• Like 1