This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

spiton

TBD Devastator Airfix 1/72

Old model Airfix, completed with Valom conopy. The conopy didn't fit at all. Fuselage had to be extended by almost 3 mm. After extended fuselage, I had to make engine a little bigger. You know . Ordinery modeller work ,-)  but somehow it worked out.

1582348989_Devastator001.thumb.jpg.39915

1867325507_Devastator002.jpg.86ef396365e

1654483171_Devastator003.jpg.3f26df73551

2036077808_Devastator004.jpg.85056e146a7

1129300382_Devastator005.jpg.38bcc0df167

1232898983_Devastator006.jpg.264c80c6cb7

263944123_Devastator007color.jpg.8b1eb9a

1051812306_Devastator008CB.jpg.6fa7bdbd4

2084953114_Devastator009CB.jpg.eaee6a145

923094522_Devastator010CB.jpg.04e3b47f01

1192397845_Devastator011CB.jpg.1b954b06c

608330745_Devastator012CB.jpg.62d505b8c0

240993605_Devastator013.jpg.9874a7d9ab4c

Edited by spiton

Well that's certainly knocked that old kit into shape!! Superb modelling, especially when looking at the original kit. Very nicely done!

Cheers

Malcolm

Lordy.  I'd never have guessed it is made from the Airfix kit unless you have mentioned it. 

Wow, that's a brilliant rehabilitation job of that kit. Never would have guessed its origin from the excellent result. 

Superb job! 

Thank You, Thank, You ! "revitalization" of old kit, that is my favourite fun. Attention !I add some interesting photos to gallery.

What the others have said- if you hadn't identified it, I would guessed a 1/48 kit for sure. I really, really like the realistic staining of the paintwork! Keeping my fingers crossed that the new Airfix gets around to this one! You should be proud of this one. 👍

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

Amazing work. As 72modeler said above, I just assumed it was an unusually convincing 1:48th Devastator and had to double check the post heading.

Impressive and inspiring!

Kind regards,

Joachim

WOW!! Impressive job on an old kit. Great paint job.

You have proven, once again, that old kits can be turned into great kits (with some work of course)!

Miguel

24 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

What the others have said- if you hadn't identified it, I would guessed a 1/48 kit for sure. I really, really like the realistic staining of the paintwork! Keeping my fingers crossed that the new Airfix gets around to this one! You should be proud if this one. 👍

Mike

I agree completely with Mike. I'm finishing up my 48th scale Devastator and am struggling on how to weather and stain mine realistically.  Yours looks great, so any tips for me would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

Great job scrubbing up this oldie!  I've got one of these and it looks pretty rough in the box, amazing what some careful modeling and a good paint job can do.

2 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

I agree completely with Mike. I'm finishing up my 48th scale Devastator and am struggling on how to weather and stain mine realistically.  Yours looks great, so any tips for me would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

I do shading using oil paint. I'm enbrighting panels using white undiluted oil. Then I'm brushing them with clean, dried brush to make soft edges. To dark smudges I'm using dark paint. I'm making oil stains with highly undiluted white spirit. In this model the way of proper sticking the decal on wings is very important. If you have low quality decal, it's better to paint insignia with paint.

Very impressive work on this old girl!

Terry

Fantastic 

Who doesn’t like an old kit that’s been scrubbed up to modern day standards? That’s just fantastic work and it all looks so good in that great paint job. New tools of this and a good Dauntless are long overdue. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave

That's a lot of work you have put into it. It has come out very nicely. 👍👍

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Who doesn’t like an old kit that’s been scrubbed up to modern day standards? That’s just fantastic work and it all looks so good in that great paint job. New tools of this and a good Dauntless are long overdue. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave

Thank you very much for your good words. I like rivets in this old set. There was a time when we all hated rivets because we loved "sunken" panel lines. Hasegawa has the perfect standard of this convention. In this model I made a mixture of rivets - on the middle parts of the hull and some "sunken" panel lines. For example this panel between the wing and fuselage. These panels are made by attaching foil - for example, bombardier doors. And I feel that the diversity of the construction surface of this model element gives a realistic effect.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)