Airfix HMS Nelson - with added WEM!

NotDaMama

As a quick final note, my father sent me photos of the first attempt I made at Nelson about 25 years ago after I showed him the finished kit. The difference is stark! Never again will I attempt a ship without getting the PE for it first, it's well worth the pain 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NotDaMama said:

@ArnoldAmbrose @rob85 thanks very much guys. My last two GB's, I missed one by a week and the next by a day, so I'm rather pleased this one came in nearly 8 hours early :thumbsup: 

I must admit it turned out far better than I ever hoped, and none of my fears about it came to pass despite the carpet monster getting a couple of snacks. The extra week did help as it allowed me time to tinker with bits of the kit and the wash, so I'm very grateful for that! This has been a ton of fun. 

That’s definitely an improving trend you have there

• Like 1

@Colin W thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it. It was a very enjoyable build, despite the level of work required. One I'm quite proud of, and even went so far as to clear some tanks out of the cabinet to make space for it! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wow, great work on the PE 20 mm.  I gave up on the WEM versions.  Not sure I got a look at your forward deck detail.  I've just done one of these and added about 200 items scratch built to the decks.  Notice a complete absence of fair leads and bollards, which is unusual even for an old Airfix.  It doesn't come out too bad with detail added, although I think I almost have to build two sometimes, the first one to make all the mistakes.  I used the original plastic masts and couldn't bring myself to try and add the mast top radar systems as the masts looked way too delicate.

3 hours ago, KJD said:

Wow, great work on the PE 20 mm.  I gave up on the WEM versions.  Not sure I got a look at your forward deck detail.  I've just done one of these and added about 200 items scratch built to the decks.  Notice a complete absence of fair leads and bollards, which is unusual even for an old Airfix.  It doesn't come out too bad with detail added, although I think I almost have to build two sometimes, the first one to make all the mistakes.  I used the original plastic masts and couldn't bring myself to try and add the mast top radar systems as the masts looked way too delicate.

Thanks! I lost the shield for one, so had to ditch a shield for its twin so they would match up. Didn't think I wanted the pain of trying to scratch one! They came out OK, but since Micro Master have brought out 1/600 resin 20mm, next time I do an old Airfix ship I'm putting in an order with them. 

I was very surprised at the total lack of deck detail on this kit, it's almost barren, which is a surprise as their Belfast and KGV kits have quite a bit going on in the deck furniture department. Scratch building the bollards was a serious consideration, but I was rapidly running out of time having had to design and build all the gun tubs, 20mm batteries, the shields around the 4in guns etc, and a ton of time was lost on the masts. You were right not to trust them, they are too thin and bend too easily, so I replaced them with stretched sprue I cut from a Dragon Panzer IV kit  I didn't trust that the Airfix sprue would be suitable.