1/32 ICM I-16 Type 24 Soviet Navy

Stew Dapple

This will be my entry for the group build:

DSCN0919.jpg

Specfically this aircraft:

DSCN0921.jpg

'White 11' which flew with the 72nd Mixed Regiment, Northern Fleet Aviation, Voyenno-morskoy flot SSSR (VMF) in the summer of 1941, this regiment was tasked with protecting shipping and particularly the supply convoys coming from the Western Allies to the ice-free port of Murmansk, There are a couple of famous photographs of this aircraft with the Russian ace Boris Safanov standing in front of it, but it was in fact the aircraft of Senior Lieutenant Alexander Kovalenko - it's just a hunch, but I feel that Kovalenko's aircraft may have been chosen by the propaganda photographer as a backdrop for Safanov because of the "For Stalin!" slogan on the side which might have seemed politically expedient at a time where there wasn't that much in the way of good news for Uncle Joe.

Here's what you get in the box:

DSCN0923.jpg

Only four sprues, including a small clear one. These cover the fuselage parts:

DSCN0924.jpg

... wings:

DSCN0928.jpg

... engine and interior parts:

DSCN0927.jpg

... and the clear parts, including a clear instrument panel:

DSCN0931.jpg

... and the transfers, which look very nice indeed:

DSCN0946.jpg

Incidentally the slogan for the starboard fuselage side (which I think reads "Death to the fascists" or something of that nature) is presented here horizontally, whereas in the Eduard 1/48 kit the same aircraft is shown with the same slogan on the starboard side but with the first word above the second, rather than to the left of it. I mention this only out of interest, as I haven't been able to find a photo of the starboard side and if Eduard are correct there is little I can do about it, 

In the year or so since I bought this kit I have also accumulated a bit of aftermarket; Aires resin wheel set:

DSCN0933.jpg

... the Aerocraft brass undercarriage legs (not so much because of the weight of the model, which I expect to be negligible, but for the fact that they come as one part so require no assembly and are all set at the right angles):

DSCN0935.jpg

The HGW Seatbelt set:

DSCN0939.jpg

... and somehow, two mask sets, although the Russian set does include masks for the instrument panel dials too:

DSCN0937.jpg

Finally, I sorted out my paints - the Soviet Warplanes website was as usual invaluable; I will be using these colours:

DSCN0944.jpg

AII Green for the topsides, AII Blue for the undersides and A14 Grey for the interior parts. Apparently the underside blue was also a permitted colour for the interior in the case of repaints, and I think that is the cockpit scheme for one of those New Zealand I-16s which looks very fetching but I shall go with the grey anyway.

So I think that's about me ready to go, sorry for the long preamble and thanks if you made it this far :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 16

Ah, yes, the Ishak ('Donkey' in Russian)! Always one of my favourite aeroplanes. This would look great next to its brother, the I-153. Two kits I need to get. Best of luck on your build!

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2020 at 6:04 AM, CedB said:

Looks like a nicely detailed kit, especially the engine.

Thanks Ced, it does look a lovely kit and the voice of the beehive says it's a pretty easy build, so here's hoping... :D 

On 2/15/2020 at 6:16 AM, Learstang said:

Ah, yes, the Ishak ('Donkey' in Russian)! Always one of my favourite aeroplanes. This would look great next to its brother, the I-153. Two kits I need to get. Best of luck on your build!

Thanks Jason, I've got the I-153 as well, it looks nice and there is at least one naval option for that one too... :D 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:12 AM, rob85 said:

Well this is something different, great choice stew! Also looks like you have lots of neat goodies along with it.

preamble was fine, just the right length!

Thanks Rob, yes there's quite a bit of aftermarket available and of course it doesn't count as stash! :lol: 

On 2/15/2020 at 10:49 AM, Robert Stuart said:

Oh, I like these Polikarpov fighters.  Going to watch with interest ...

Thanks Robert, I think most of us have a soft spot for a cute little underdog :) 

I've made a start - construction starts with... the wings! I know, but it's from the Ukraine and maybe they do things differently there :lol: 

The upper and lower wing parts fit pretty well but I pegged them for my own peace of mind:

DSCN0948.jpg

The ailerons are separate and in two parts each, as is the rear underside of the nose, but no fuss:

DSCN0949.jpg

... and before we know it, we have completed stage one of the instructions:

DSCN0951.jpg

I got a big gluey fingerprint by the outer aileron edge which gave me a chance to try out Mr Surfacer, which with a little sanding covered all my sins, or at least that one. 

Next up is the cockpit interior... :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

On 2/17/2020 at 6:31 AM, Stew Dapple said:

we have completed stage one of the instructions

Actually, I lied; the instructions call for the addition of the wingtip navigation lights to be fitted at this stage, but one of the perks of being an Experienced ModellerTM is that you believe you know when to follow the instructions and when that way lies madness. This is one of those instances where you probably really do know better unless you particularly enjoy tricky masking jobs further down the line, I shall add them at the end of construction after the main painting and varnishing has been done.

I de-sprued and cleaned up the relevant interior parts ready for painting:

DSCN0954.jpg

... and everything got a coat of A14 Steel Grey:

DSCN0956.jpg

I'm not entirely sure the inside of the lower wing needs painting as it might well be covered by the cockpit floor, but if it was time wasted it was less than a minute and I can spare that. I remembered to do the inside of the pilot's access doors the landing gear bays as well, but my smug was punctured afterward by the realisation that I hadn't done the inside parts of the landing gear itself. Still, I am some way away from that yet and sufficient unto the day etc.

Next up will be painting all the interior parts that need to be black, such as the instrument panel, gun cocking handles and what looks like a little tool box but might be an electric battery case...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Before the next batch of painting I pre-assembled as many parts as possible that would need to be black, either as their actual colour, or as a base coat for metallic paints... the engine components:

DSCN0958.jpg

The engine won't be seen unless you choose to leave the side panels off, which I don't intend to do, but honour demands at least a coat of the right colours for the various parts. I applied the masks to the clear instrument panel:

DSCN0965.jpg

... and made up some paint kebabs for the cockpit components and the IP:

DSCN0960.jpg

DSCN0962.jpg

They've actually been painted now but I need to take some more pictures before I update again...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Thank you gents :) 

As per @Robert Stuart's advice, I extended the interior grey further forward:

DSCN0971.jpg

... then painted the various black bits:

DSCN0973.jpg

DSCN0975.jpg

So there will be some detail painting going on there over the next few days.

The exhausts themselves, which are many and varied, really do need drilling out; at a pinch you could just paint the outlets black and in all likelihood get away with it too, but... well. They do need to be removed from the sprue and cleaned up for this, and since there are no less than 9 exhaust pipes in seven different sorts, I was a bit concerned how I would keep track of which was which. Fortunately Lidl provided a box of steel nuts for £2.99 which came in a very suitable compartmented box:

DSCN0976.jpg

So I put the part numbers in the required compartments and have begun on that, the first of my fiddly jobs. The other will be these:

DSCN0978.jpg

I think that should be enough to keep me busy for a while... :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

On 2/15/2020 at 4:24 AM, Stew Dapple said:

DSCN0946.jpg

Incidentally the slogan for the starboard fuselage side (which I think reads "Death to the fascists" or something of that nature) is presented here horizontally, whereas in the Eduard 1/48 kit the same aircraft is shown with the same slogan on the starboard side but with the first word above the second, rather than to the left of it. I mention this only out of interest, as I haven't been able to find a photo of the starboard side and if Eduard are correct there is little I can do about it, 

Hi Stew,

Looks like Eduard are probably correct.

I have found the same profile in a number of books, but I say only "probably" as I have not seen an actual photo. I have the ICM 1/72 kit of the I-16 Model 24 and one of the 2 decal choices is for the same machine and the decs are identical, so I have learned something from your build already!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Stew, you're doing a fine job, I build the SH kit many years ago but used incorrect references for the paint job and have never been happy with it, so a purchase may be on the cards.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PeterB said:

Looks like Eduard are probably correct.

Thanks Pete, I thought that might well be the case, simply because it would be more logical to have the words scroll horizontally; if they are sometimes depicted as being piled on top of each other it does suggest that someone, somewhere, had seen it this way... fortunately I have a perfect, albeit slightly pricey, solution: I have ordered the Begemot transfer set which has the words laid out as in the picture you posted (along with markings for a whopping 49 other I-16s, looks like I might have to build more than one!)... :D 

16 hours ago, spitfire said:

Nice one Stew

Thanks Dennis, I believe the ICM kit is alleged to be an altogether more pleasurable build so it could be worth watching out for one; I got mine for less than £30 in one of Hannant's special offers.

I started drilling out the exhaust pipes, here's the 'Before' and 'After' shot:

DSCN0981.jpg

Not perfect, but as thin as I dared make the tube walls, and better than it was I trust :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Not perfect, but as thin as I dared make the tube walls, and better than it was I trust

Almost perfect and much better than it was :) 

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2020 at 8:14 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Great to see your modelling mojo has been restored look forward to seeing this one progressing, good luck 

Thanks very much Pat. so far so good :) 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:16 AM, CedB said:

much better than it was

On 2/28/2020 at 2:28 PM, rob85 said:

a big improvement

Thanks Ced, thanks Rob :cheers:

On 2/28/2020 at 4:43 PM, Robert Stuart said:

There are several photos of I-16s with (and without) slogans in this link

Haha, thanks Peter, I already included that link in my first post :lol: 

The exhaust pipes have been drilled and painted with Alclad Steel followed by a thinned overspray of Tamiya Dark Iron:

DSCN0983.jpg

... and the interior parts have been dirtied up and shaded a bit with Citadel Nuln Oil wash:

DSCN0985.jpg

The HGW seatbelt set also includes toe straps for the rudder pedals:

DSCN0987.jpg

... and the kit comes with a transfer for the plate that goes behind the clear part of the instrument panel; this is very finely printed, to the point where the numbers on the dials are completely legible:

DSCN0988.jpg

So today I hope to finish the detail painting and the seatbelts and actually start putting stuff together... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 15

Are you sure thats not the real i/p sitting on a scaffolding board rather than a kit one on a coffee stirrer  !

I really hope you can still enjoy that wonderful interior when its inside the aircraft. 

cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1