Another RAAF Kittyhawk color question

Chuck1945

First thanks again for the photos and information regarding 450 Sqd (RAAF) Kittyhawk IV colors in Italy, 1945. That project is continuing nicely.

Continuing the Kittyhawk and RAAF theme, I am also working on a long tail Kittyhawk A29-189, belonging to 75 Sqd at Milne Bay, 1943. This is one of the marking options in the SH kit. Somewhere along the way I picked up the idea that the uppers were Dark Earth and Foliage Green with Sky Blue undersides.  For the life of me now I can’t find that reference and the kit instructions call out a DE/DG and Sky Blue finish. Was I just imagining things regarding Foliage Green?

Edited by Chuck1945
Edit to correct the aircraft designation

Chuck , Kitty's with Commonwealth Sqn's in Europe/NA are referred to by their Mk number, Kitty's serving with the RAAF in Australia/Pacific are referred to by their US letter, so A29-189 is actually a Kittyhawk P-40K-10.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

Chuck , Kitty's with Commonwealth Sqn's in Europe/NA are referred to by their Mk number, Kitty's serving with the RAAF in Australia/Pacific are referred to by their US letter, so A29-189 is actually a Kittyhawk P-40K-10.

Thanks, didn’t know the designations were different

Hi Chuck,

A29-189, (ex 42-10203), was never operated by No. 75 Sqn, its operational service was with No. 77 Sqn. It was received, ex USA, by the RAAF in January 1943, and after erection was allotted to No. 77 Sqn in February. It was with them when they moved up to Gurney Strip at Milne Bay at the end of February, and when they moved on to Vivigani Strip on Goodenough Island in June 1943. Its regular pilot at this time was Flight Lieutenant H.V. 'Viv'Shearn. He was an experienced pilot, having flown Spitfires with No. 457 Sqn in the UK, before returning to Australia and flying P-40E Kittyhawks with No. 77 Sqn.

d2192bb3-3d93-4d95-9fdb-07efc6835eef.jpg

A29-189 at Goodenough Island, circa June 1943. 

d06af9fb-ffd0-4467-b08d-ff6145a6346d.jpg

F/L 'Viv' Shearn at Goodenough Island.

The colours on this aircraft are not known for sure, but I will give you my opinion, based on my research.

It came directly to Australia from the USA and was probaly finished in the standard US OD/NG colours. During erection at No. 2 Aircraft Depot, Bankstown, nr Sydney, it was probably repainted in RAAF colours of K3/177 Foliage Green and K3/178 Earth brown over K3/195 Sky Blue. Serial would have been K3/188 Medium Sea Grey and codes K3/195 Sky Blue. The antenna fit you see from the photo is wire from dorsal fuselage to fin top and from there to each wing tip. A 'ring and bead' gunsight is fitted as well as reflector gunsight.

HTH,

Peter M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1