FAA deck landing procedures, WW2

72modeler

Here's a very interesting film that shows arrested landings by Martlets, Swordfish, Seafires, Albacores, Fulmars, and others. Note the Martlet with the pitot mounted on the upper LH wing, which was characteristic of the early examples. I hope the footage is new to many of you.

Mike

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Great find Mike,  I love watching those films.

Martlet IIs AM964 to AM 999 had the unique pitot which was located on the port upper wing, near the inner edge of the aileron. This pitot angled to the rear and upwards. These aircraft were the only Wildcat/Martlet to use this pitot.

The remaining Mark IIs, serial range AJ100 to AJ153 used the standard F4F-4 pitot. 

I ended up having to scratch build the pitot on my MkII.

Probably old news, but I've never noticed until now, that the fuselage codes were repeated on both lower wing folds, and appear on coloured discs.  I've looked at my Airfix Swordfish and this detail is not included on the decal sheet, so maybe wasn't standard protocol?

JHsxqQR.png

aCyu6v6.png

dZrfPIL.jpg

yVXcm4D.jpg

UAvs5n9.png

regards.

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JackG said:

Probably old news, but I've never noticed until now, that the fuselage codes were repeated on both lower wing folds, and appear on coloured discs.  I've looked at my Airfix Swordfish and this detail is not included on the decal sheet, so maybe wasn't standard protocol?

Same as you, thank you for remarking on this.

I think these details were up to individual units, much like the style of code numbers/letters.

Swordfish in the film are from the two Swordfish units aboard HMS Illustrious, Nos. 810 ('2x') and 829 ('3x') Squadrons but, as far as I could see, only 810 used to repeat the code on the wing fold.

Question: which colour(s)?

The stills you posted are very useful and suggest that '2A', '2F' and '2K'/'2M' have different colours, possibly flight colours? My guess at the moment is '2A' - white, '2F' - blue, '2K'/'2M' - red. Maybe the colour is the same as on the spinner cap.

On the other hand, 829 Squadron machines all seem to have a six-pointed star on a darker background on the wheel disks. Which colours?

Claudio

• Like 1

Fascinating!  I noticed that the Swordfish had a cable or wire on three supports on the forward edge of the upper wing centre section; I've never noticed this before, does anyone know what it was?

Edited by 593jones

12 hours ago, 593jones said:

Fascinating!  I noticed that the Swordfish had a cable or wire on three supports on the forward edge of the upper wing centre section; I've never noticed this before, does anyone know what it was?

Do you mean the device below the upper wing? IIRC, that should be the torpedo aiming sight.

1 hour ago, ClaudioN said:

Do you mean the device below the upper wing? IIRC, that should be the torpedo aiming sight.

No, I know about the torpedo aiming sight, the object I am referring to is attached to the upper wing,  It can be seen clearly in the second of JackG's screen shots above, and at 5.55 and 15.57 on the film.   It is attached to the leading edge by three brackets/fixings.  I can't imagine what it could be, but it is quite intriguing!

4 hours ago, JackG said:

Looks to be some kind of horizontal aerial, or possibly a variation of early ASV radar?

regards,

Jack

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Yes, ASV.  The other aerials can be seen mounted between the outer wings.

Thank you gentlemen, that would seem to fit, probably explains why it doesn't appear on every Swordfish too.

17 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Yes, ASV.  The other aerials can be seen mounted between the outer wings.

The early ASV.II sets had separate transmit and receive aerials. The receive aerials are on the outboard wing struts angled outwards. The aerial on the centre section of the upper wing would be the transmit aerial.

• Like 1