Valentine Mk.I AFV Club 1/35

This is AFV Club's Valentine Mk.I.

It's one of a number of models that I manged to complete over the last 18 months or so but have just got around to photographing.

I enjoyed this build nothing was really added to what came in the kit apart from AFV Clubs workable tracks.

Painted with MRP paints and weathered with Mig pigments.

w3mhwhz.jpg

4dKCnom.jpg

COCfNZt.jpg

BzaMQDP.jpg

ZPkh90d.jpg

nfh61FV.jpg

• Like 41

Great Valentine, super paintwork and weathering. 

For curiosities sake did your decals work ok? When I did the same kit they all splintered after being submerged. 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Great Valentine, super paintwork and weathering. 

For curiosities sake did your decals work ok? When I did the same kit they all splintered after being submerged. 

Cheers

Darryl 

No they didn't Darryl, the serial numbers broke up. If you look closely you can see it. I covered the worse bits with some mud. The yellow square was painted on.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

No they didn't Darryl, the serial numbers broke up. If you look closely you can see it. I covered the worse bits with some mud. The yellow square was painted on.

My meng decals were also really poor. Tamiya seem to be the boys. I've got a tin full of old decal sheets and ALWAYS work

• Like 2

You've done a really good job on that, especially the painting and weathering. It's amazing how using a black background can make it look so dramatic. Did you use a light box to take the photos?

John.

19 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That's really nice. Love the subtle and realistic weathering 👍

9 hours ago, DAG058 said:

That is something special, very nice work! 

7 hours ago, GRK said:

really nice work, especially like the mud/dust effects at the front. 

1 hour ago, Nev said:

Very nice job, especially the weathering on the tracks and running gear

Thank you all very much.  Weathering like this is quite a new experience for me especially with the multitude of products available these days, so it's nice to know I'm in the ballpark with it.

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You've done a really good job on that, especially the painting and weathering. It's amazing how using a black background can make it look so dramatic. Did you use a light box to take the photos?

John.

Thank you John.

I generally prefer a black background for most subjects as you say it makes it look more dramatic, however I think the white shows detail a little better and is probably better for getting critique.

I have a custom made spray booth which doubles up for my photography area and I use vinyl back drops and some LED light panels.  

• Thanks 1

On 16/02/2020 at 11:22, robgizlu said:

Really nicely finished, weathered and photographed:clap2:

Rob

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely job. The Bren gun mount must have been tricky to fettle, I wonder what genius thought that up!

Pete

Thank you Rob and Pete.

The gun mount is pretty delicate and a few expletives may have been muttered when it was being attached.

Wayne.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gordon J said:

Lovely build and photographs but what colour scheme does this tank carry?

Thanks Gordon,

It's a scheme from AFV club's instructions. Although they don't give the exact colours as such I would say it should be Khaki Green No3 (G3) and Dark Tarmac No4.

Wayne

9 hours ago, Carius said:

Excellent job indeed

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That really is very impressive! Well done! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

3 hours ago, scottie3158 said:

That is an excellent result the weathering is spot on.

Thank you all very much!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, f matthews said:

Looks great!  I think AFV does the Valentines better than the others.  

Thank you.

I haven't tried the others but  this was an excellent kit.

I have got Bronco's Mk.IX on my to do list, although I haven't researched it yet.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 12:19 PM, Buzby061 said:

The Bren gun mount must have been tricky to fettle, I wonder what genius thought that up!

That would be Tom Lakeman, an RTR officer reputed to be as mad as a fish.  If I may quote David Fletcher from his time as Historian at the Tank Museum:

"Tom Lakeman was a Royal Tank Regiment officer, slightly mad according to people who knew him, who devised all kinds of strange machine-gun mountings. We have a large collection of photographs of Lakeman machine-gun mounts but they are all slightly different. The principle was a balance of arms and springs, like an office desk lamp, the idea being to reduce the weight of the weapon when used against aircraft. In practice they were usually more trouble than they were worth and most soldiers hated them and tried to throw them away at the first opportunity."

• Like 3

On 2/18/2020 at 3:38 PM, diablo rsv said:

Thank you.

I haven't tried the others but  this was an excellent kit.

I have got Bronco's Mk.IX on my to do list, although I haven't researched it yet.

The Bronco Mk IX is pretty decent. It is based on the incorrect Miniart platform, but with some good corrections.  A solid build I think.

Bronco Valentine IX

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 1