This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hi all,

First finished kit of 2020 for me - Trumpeter's big, bad Bearcat! Built OOB apart from Eduard seatbelts and wire brake lines. Used MRP and Hataka lacquer paints throughout with Colourcoats enamel for the details.

tn_IMG_20200214_155941

Here's the (limited!) build thread:

tn_IMG_20200214_155920

Markings were painted using Montex masks - first time I've used these and they were a real revelation for me. Will definitely use again! The other decals (not many thankfully) were the kit's.

tn_IMG_20200214_160040 tn_IMG_20200214_160109

The kit is pretty nice to build - the usual seam lines everywhere, especially around the wing roots and cooler intake mouths, but the clear parts were excellent both in clarity and fit. The kit gives you a fair bit of open-panel detail but sadly doesn't make the detail fine enough to make it worth opening the panels!

tn_IMG_20200214_160126

A bit hit and miss for a Trumpeter kit, this one manages to really capture the shape and lines of this beast of a fighter. Not a classic kit by any means (it builds, in the words of @gingerbob, like a 1/48 kit blown up to 1/32 without any of the finer details you'd expect in this scale) but it's a 1/32 Bearcat and Trumpy should be applauded for getting the shapes right to enable a good-looking and imposing result.

tn_IMG_20200214_160153

Altogether, the kit is the only game in town if you want a big Bearcat and it's pretty good. For the price (£40-odd) it's very good. Also highly recommend the Montex masks and MRP paint for ease of use vs great results. Hataka Orange Line paint was okay but needs a lot of care and attention to get the paint:thinner ratio right.

Thanks for looking in,

Alan

Very nice result, and I'm impressed by the painted-on markings, particularly where the insignias cross the wing fold!

5 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Very nice result, and I'm impressed by the painted-on markings, particularly where the insignias cross the wing fold!

Thanks Bob, in fact that part was a major PITA but the masks did the job! :D

Super build, great paint job and weathered to perfection in my eyes, limited to just exhaust staining ?

Painted on markings look great, cant imagine painting that L on the rudder over all those lumps and bumps was easy

18 minutes ago, Acinonyx Jubatus said:

Super build, great paint job and weathered to perfection in my eyes, limited to just exhaust staining ?

Painted on markings look great, cant imagine painting that L on the rudder over all those lumps and bumps was easy

Thanks AJ! You're right about the weathering, I also added some stains and wear to the hi vis orange as it deteriorated a lot more than the durable Sea Blue. 

Thanks very much again, 

Alan 

Hi Alan, 

Nice, clean and beautiful model! Well done on the paintwork! 

Best, 

Nikola

Lovley 

Beautifully finished Bearcat there Alan, really nice work