ICM 1/32 Gloster Gladiator. small update 27/02/20

Hey everyone

Whilst my Eduard Spitfire is in my cabinet 'curing' I've decided to have a look at the new ICM 1/32 Gladiator. From what I've read and seen it looks to be a rather splendid model...

49534886317_e983bbc172_b.jpg

..Is it me or does it look like the pilot is wearing a David Clark head set?

Anyway this will be OOB other than a Sutton Harness from RB productions.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TonkaGuy said:

Looking forward to this Iain! 

Hey Tonka

You and me both mate so far I'm very impressed with the kit, very nice

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Pulling up a seat with you on this one, Iain. It might give me the courage to pull a biplane out of the stash.:popcorn:

Hiya Vinnie

This will be my first bi plane so anything could happen....watch this space!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Have you chosen the preferred markings then, if so which will you go with ? 

Dennis

Hey Dennis

At the moment the airframe of choice is the silver doped machine of No72(F) Sqn, SN: K6140.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Iain, I think you're in for a treat with this one. 

There's a Wingnut enthusiast at our club (several of them actually.....) and he's just done this one, and he HEAPS praise on the kit. Just as good, he reckoned, and the finished build looks brilliant for sure. 

So, it's ALL there....! 

Great work so far 👍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Iain, I think you're in for a treat with this one. 

There's a Wingnut enthusiast at our club (several of them actually.....) and he's just done this one, and he HEAPS praise on the kit. Just as good, he reckoned, and the finished build looks brilliant for sure. 

So, it's ALL there....! 

Great work so far 👍

Hey Rob

I have heard good things about this kit and I’ve seen the build that Phil Flory is doing and it certainly does look like a great kit. I’ve made a start on the engine and will hopefully have a wee update to share tomorrow.

Cheers buddy

Iain

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Crimea River said:

Watching with interest!

Hey Crimea

I have a small update for you (all)

Unusually for me I started on the lovely Bristol Mercury...

49540804092_9cea96b127_b.jpg

The collector ring and exhaust fit together beautifully as do the components for the engine itself. I painted the collector/exhaust with Tamiya XF1 as an undercoat followed

by Citadel Runfang steel and Mr Hobby 215 copper.

For the engine I first gave it an udercoat of Tamiya XF1 followed by an over all coat of Runefang Steel followed by a coat of Boltgun Steel and sealed with Mr Colour GX100.

At the moment it all looks very clean and tidy and the transition from the copper to silver needs a little work but overall I'm happy with how it has turned out.

49540582541_8611de1413_b.jpg

It doesn't really show that well in this picture but the only additional work I've carried out on the engine is to hollow out the exhaust stacks using my micro drill..

49540803702_7c4acaa931_b.jpg

A better shot of the difference between the Boltgun Steel (darker colour) and the Runefang steel both of which spray and cover very nicely. The engine and collecter/Exhaust

are only clipped together at the moment as I want to carry out a little clean up and weathering.

49540087338_c12d13f34f_b.jpg 49540585101_d1924089d3_b.jpg

And attached to the air frame.

I have to say that so far I'm very impressed with the quality of the kit, the fit of parts in perfect, the moldings are clean and crisp and the plastic has a nice feel to it.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 14

Just pulled up a chair. I can see that this is a kit that shouts “ Build me! “ at you when you first open the box from the amount you’ve done in less than 48hrs.

The engine looks beautiful and I love the colours of the collector ring.

Looking forward to more.

John

PS. Sorry about the bum steer.

• Like 1

thought you might like to check this out with respect to Pastor John.  might be useful seeing you are  building  a Gloster Gladiator and EVERYONE  else who is thinking of starting this model/kit of their own..

AIMS New arrivals 32F001, 32D022 and 32PE012 - Vendors Board - Large Scale Planes -{ for  1:32 Scale }Scale 

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/83653-aims-new-arrivals-32f001-32d022-and-32pe012/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

ooh IMPRESSIVE. 

Love the Engine.. MY favorite part.

seeing another of these being built I am keen to see what yours turns out like.  

probably AWESOME. 

:wow:  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

thought you might like to check this out with respect to Pastor John.  might be useful seeing you are  building  a Gloster Gladiator and EVERYONE  else who is thinking of starting this model/kit of their own..

AIMS New arrivals 32F001, 32D022 and 32PE012 - Vendors Board - Large Scale Planes -{ for  1:32 Scale }Scale 

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/83653-aims-new-arrivals-32f001-32d022-and-32pe012/

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

:thumbsup:

Hey Houston

Thanks for the link, that pilot figure does look very nice in fact the whole lot looks pretty darn good!

I'll be building mine OOB except for an RB productions Sutton Harness Type A and I'm thinking about making my own masks?

Cheers buddy

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Just pulled up a chair. I can see that this is a kit that shouts “ Build me! “ at you when you first open the box from the amount you’ve done in less than 48hrs.

The engine looks beautiful and I love the colours of the collector ring.

Looking forward to more.

John

PS. Sorry about the bum steer.

Hey John

It really is a lovely kit. I've had a look at some of the builds over on LSP and what they are managing to achieve is very impressive, it speaks volumes for the quality of the kit.

Bum steer? No worries.

3 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Nice start.

The more I see of these being built the more I want to have a go at one myself.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers.

Do it!

Iain

• Like 2

Hey everyone

Even though I've only just started the build I'm already thinking about how to rig her? I have never rigged an airplane in my life (does adding aerial wires count?) and

the route I'm thinking of taking is to use Gaspatch models metal turn buckles, EZ line 0.25mm and albion alloys brass tubing 0.3 or 0.5mm. Looking at reference

pictures the termination points for the rigging seem to be embedded into the wing/strut surfaces..

49536182912_a64e519724_b.jpg IVeE7B

Photos found on the internet, for for modelling reference only. I will remove if requested.

..And the rigging itself appears to be rather fat and flat? Now I don't have the skill set to reproduce these 100% accurately but hopefully my chosen method will be sufficient

to give a passable representation of the real thing?

Cheers

Iain  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

I was so impressed by the reviews on this kit that I bought one despite my fear of rigging so I will be watching this one.

Cheers

Dennis

Hey Dennis

I know what you mean about rigging I've never done it either, but I've had a look at some builds on youtube and it doesn't seem that bad, I think its something that has to be done in stages and you need to realise that it can't be rushed?

I'm actually looking forward to giving it ago, but I have plenty to do to get to that point plus I want to finish my Spitfire to.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 2

I have studied that photo and others on the net and if you look closely at the 2 thicker "wires" they appear to be bar which is threaded at the ends and are rolled into an aerofoil shape in between the threaded ends. Also some of the other "wires" appear to be bar.

Edited by ocatlub

I must have been seeing into the future as one time I was at Cosford and I took a load of photos of the Gladiator there, I've attached them just in case they will be handy, no doudt there are lots of better ones on the internet or on this very site.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

There used to be a Rapide on the air show circuit in the UK many years ago which whistled when it flew because some of the aerofoil shaped ‘ wires ‘ were out of alignment with the airflow. 

I have seen aerofoil shaped rigging on a 1/32 biplane and it looked very impressive.

Good Luck.

John

• Like 1

The need for drag reduction pushed aircraft designers to aerofoil shaped "wires" with threaded ends quite early in the history of aviation. Ditto the avoidance of exposed turnbuckles. If you google "rafwires" there are a number of PE sets available for this scale. More difficult to use than EZ line unfortunately.