Jump to content

Two Spitfires; Eduard Mk.IX and Has Mk.V


Recommended Posts

A couple of Spits; critique welcome.  More pics and build description over on the website, as well as the rather sad story of their pilots, Jack and Bob Yarra.

 

The Eduard Mk.IX represents an aircraft only 2 months old when lost in April 1944.  453 Squadron seemed to just throw their codes on the fuselage so even though I don't have a pic of FU-Y I have plenty of others that show the haphazard application.

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

The Hasegawa Mk.V represents an older aricraft, around six months old at the time of its loss in December, 1942.

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

Edited by mark.au
Picture quality
  • Like 32
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful Spits Mark and a great tribute to the brothers. Nice blog too! - will spend an hour or two reading that later! As a matter of interest, what colours did you use on the spits?

 

Cheers

 

Malcolm

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! The ultra rare Hasegawa Spit mk. V! 

Seriously, I don't know what's the deal with this kit? No one mentions it, no one reviews it... Yet your looks just fine. Could you spare some words on it? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Baldy said:

Beautiful Spits Mark and a great tribute to the brothers. Nice blog too! - will spend an hour or two reading that later! As a matter of interest, what colours did you use on the spits?

 

Cheers

 

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm.  I used Vallejo Model Air versions of the three colours, but toned down the upper colours in the weathering process.  I rather suspect the grey is still a little on the dark side still - is that what you’ve picked up on?

 

53 minutes ago, Josip said:

Wow! The ultra rare Hasegawa Spit mk. V! 

Seriously, I don't know what's the deal with this kit? No one mentions it, no one reviews it... Yet your looks just fine. Could you spare some words on it? 

Hi Josip, if you follow the link in the first post you’ll find my description of the build and what I thought of the kit.  The short version is that while it’s a bit limited in detail, it builds into a nice looking Spitfire that, as far as I know, is a decent representation of the Mk.Vb

 

Thanks to everyone for comments on the models and particularly on their back story.  This was more than only a modelling project for me.

Edited by mark.au
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Thanks Malcolm.  I used Vallejo Model Air versions of the three colours, but toned down the upper colours in the weathering process.  I rather suspect the grey is still a little on the dark side still - is that what you’ve picked up on?

 

I was interested in the Ocean Grey yes. It looks great! There was no standard as such for Ocean grey as far as I know and most of the ones I have tried I don't like apart from Xtracrylix. But I do like the one you have used (Although I accept that it is difficult to tell exactly from photographs) - some interpretations and examples (e.g. the Spitfire in the IWM London which is allegedly in it's original colours) were quite dark. Do you know which Vallejo paint which you used? I would like to give it a try. 

 

Cheers

 

Malcolm

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Baldy said:

I was interested in the Ocean Grey yes. It looks great! There was no standard as such for Ocean grey as far as I know and most of the ones I have tried I don't like apart from Xtracrylix. But I do like the one you have used (Although I accept that it is difficult to tell exactly from photographs) - some interpretations and examples (e.g. the Spitfire in the IWM London which is allegedly in it's original colours) were quite dark. Do you know which Vallejo paint which you used? I would like to give it a try. 

 

Cheers

 

Malcolm

 

 

I’m currently sitting on a beach in Vanuatu (it’s rough, but somehow we’re coping... :) ) but as soon as get home on Saturday I’ll check (to make sure I get the right one) and message you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Josip said:

Wow! The ultra rare Hasegawa Spit mk. V! 

Seriously, I don't know what's the deal with this kit? No one mentions it, no one reviews it..

the rumour floating about online is that "it's actually 1/50th" 

I picked one up cheap,  and it seems to be what Special Hobby based their 1/48th Spitfire on,  overall decent, a bit short in the fuselage.  First 1/48th kit to get that the cockpit does not flare out in the wing fillet.

11 minutes ago, Baldy said:

There was no standard as such for Ocean grey as far as I know

Why do you think that? it was one of the standard upper colours for the Day Fighter Scheme.  

 

this is the paint chip chart found in the RAF Museum Series, British Aviation Colours of World War Two, of MAP colours (Ministry of Aircraft Production), 

bstablegb_1.JPG  

 

When first introduced in August 1941, shortages of Ocean grey were supplemented by 'mixed grey' , made of 1 part Night to 7 parts Medium Sea Grey. 

Ocean grey did fade quite a lot though, which is why it's appearance varies in photos. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Troy Smith said:

Why do you think that? it was one of the standard upper colours for the Day Fighter Scheme.  

 

this is the paint chip chart found in the RAF Museum Series, British Aviation Colours of World War Two, of MAP colours (Ministry of Aircraft Production), 

 

Hello Troy - I don't know why I thought that - but I did! I stand corrected- thank you. Again, at the risk of interpreting a picture on my computer screen - I am happy with my go-to choice of Xtracrylix. Most interpretations seem much too blue for my taste and when the green is added, they look awful to my eye. As a matter of interest, do you have a preferred Ocean Grey?

 

Cheers

 

Malcolm

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I’m currently sitting on a beach in Vanuatu (it’s rough, but somehow we’re coping... :) ) but as soon as get home on Saturday I’ll check (to make sure I get the right one) and message you.

Wow Mark - tough work huh? - but somebody has to do it! Have a great time! We'll struggle though until you get back.

 

Cheers

 

Malcolm

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baldy said:

As a matter of interest, do you have a preferred Ocean Grey?

Xtracolour/Xtracrylix are rated as being good matches.   Colourcoats will be based on the above RAF museum chips.   

 

I don't have the Vallejo set mentioned, and otherwise I have not found a Vallejo match,  but Vallejo are bad at colour names and matches, which is annoying as they brush well.  I got some paint sets when in sale, and do brush outs,  but not found a good Ocean grey so far.

 

I got the AK interactive RAF set AK 2010,  on a visual match (I have the RAF chips) neither the Ocean grey or Medium Sea grey were good, though  the rest were pretty good.

I did recently pick up Revell Spitfire in a charity shop, which has Revell Aqua colour 'matches' for the RAF colours, but not done a brush out on them as yet.

 

Apologies to @mark.au for the drift.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Baldy said:

Most interpretations seem much too blue for my taste and when the green is added, they look awful to my eye

 

Bad news I'm afraid - the RAF Museum chip which Troy showed above is very blue with CIELAB coordinates L43 a-2.7 b-7.9 (so a bit greenish of neutral and very bluish from neutral).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

 

Bad news I'm afraid - the RAF Museum chip which Troy showed above is very blue with CIELAB coordinates L43 a-2.7 b-7.9 (so a bit greenish of neutral and very bluish from neutral).

Hello Jamie

 

Well my perception of what looks right is evidently wrong! Oh well. Anyway, I will give your Colourcoats Ocean Grey a try when I get to my next WW2 RAF project and see what it looks like.

 

Cheers

 

Malcolm

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

 

Bad news I'm afraid - the RAF Museum chip which Troy showed above is very blue with CIELAB coordinates L43 a-2.7 b-7.9 (so a bit greenish of neutral and very bluish from neutral).

It's a scan up on Hyperscale from a discussion on Foilage Green,  posted here as @Baldy  said "There was no standard as such for Ocean grey as far as I know"  and to show it's inclusion on the RAF museum chips.

I was under the impression Ocean Grey was bluish, though the museum chip in daylight seems to have a slight green cast.

You do have the colourimeter gadget though! 

 

4 hours ago, Baldy said:

Hello Jamie

 

Well my perception of what looks right is evidently wrong! Oh well. Anyway, I will give your Colourcoats Ocean Grey a try when I get to my next WW2 RAF project and see what it looks like.

Sorry for any confusion,    I have not done any brush out of the Xtracrylix greys as yet.   

I will say Colourcoats are the only paint company I see  posting on here, and who are genuinely interested in getting it right, and are prepared to revise paint in light of new research, and who list their reference sources. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Apologies to @mark.au for the drift.

None required; this kind of discussion by knowledgeable people is what makes this site so useful, and why I post here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...