1/72 AFV wish list - something that kit manufacturers should look at

KRK4m

Couldn't find such a list there, so let's start.

And it's not a joke - I think that some kit manufacturers could find such a list useful.

1. AMX VCI - hope that ACE has one in the pipeline

2. BTR 50 - just a modification of PT-76 tank to be issued by Revell in 2020. Half of work is done already, so maybe...

3. 2S1 Gvozdika - just a modification of MT-LB. So maybe Modelcollect in the near future?

4. ZSU-23-4 - anybody? anywhere?

5. M114 troop carrier - no ideas :(

6. Chinese ZTZ-96 - maybe Trumpeter/HB ?

7. YW/WZ531 - as above

8. Soviet T-27 tankette - maybe Unimodel or Zvezda ?

9. YPR-765/AIFV/ACV-15 - to be based on any decent M113 kit

10. FV-101 Scorpion family - maybe Airfix once again? New tool in 1/72 please :)

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael,

It's might be a bit hard to find these days, but ACE did release 2S1 Gvozdika, back in 2001. I cannot attest to the accuracy of it though.

Myself, I'd love a Singapore Army Leopard 2SG, but Army is pretty secretive about the tank and people have noticed that there is some variation among the units. A guy in the know I spoke of said what's out there isn't definitive at the moment as they're still tweaking the design. A conversion kit is more likely since this is probably a pretty esoteric request.

Edited by Supertom
Forgot to add my wishlist item
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Murdo said:

FV 432

I have purchased one last year directly from the manufacturer - British S&M Models.

The 2019 new tool, really not very bad.

Frankly speaking the M47 Patton and M59 APC also need the 1/72 portraits desperately.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:07 PM, Supertom said:

It's might be a bit hard to find these days, but ACE did release 2S1 Gvozdika, back in 2001. I cannot attest to the accuracy of it though.

Urban legend says that it's pretty decent and accurate - regrettably it's impossible to find for last 10 years at least.

BTW I should add two Russian machines more - the WW2 T-37A floating tankette and the modern 2S3 Akatsiya (both available only as resin kits - pricey and hard to find).

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1

Hi Michael 

Pretty sure S-model do the Chinese Ztz--96 and from what I remember it's a more of a proper kit than a lot of their offerings.

Ace also did the scorpion - not an easy build but a very comprehensive kit

Hope this helps

Ben

• Like 1

10 hours ago, badger said:

Pretty sure S-model do the Chinese Ztz--96 and from what I remember it's a more of a proper kit than a lot of their offerings.

Ace also did the scorpion - not an easy build but a very comprehensive kit

Hi Ben,

Pretty sure that S-model is the later ZTZ-99A. I have it in my stash, really good one.

But it's like the T-72 and T-90 or T-64 and T-80. ALMOST the same, but not THE same...

Scorpion is the same case as Gvozdika - ACE kits are really SHORT runs unobtainable 3-4 years after the release already.

And most of them are fairly decent. And regrettably not replicated by mainstream mfrs (e.g. BTR-50/PT-76, Gvozdika/MTLB family, FV100 family, a.s.o.)

Cheers

Michael

Injection moulded:

Valentine (2 pdr, 6 pdr and 75mm variants)

Archer

Bishop

And that's without really thinking about it.  +1 for Dave's Sexton.

Somewhere I still have an injection-moulded Conqueror: think it came as a load for my Tri-Ang well wagon back in the 60s.  Very crude: 2 parts - hull and turret!

A "Shilka" would be very nice....

Akatsia too, but from what I gather, almost impossible to find good data on it.

Soviet Floating tanks would be very good.

GaZ-66 in plastic - would be awesome! So many options.

And someone, please, give us a decent T-62 in plastic!

Ferret - is a funny little thing to put in the collection. Saxons - ungainly looking and weird.

A better M4A1 Halftrack...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 7:00 PM, KRK4m said:

1. AMX VCI - hope that ACE has one in the pipeline

It was just 18 days ago...

And YESSSSS!  AMC #72448 planned for 2020 is the AMX-VCI.

Moreover two other AMX-13-based vehicles (a 105mm howitzer and the DCA a/a gun) are also announced.

If only AMC reissued some of their 1990-2005 kits...

Cheers

Michael

plenty of these vehicles available in resin from various makers.

not as easy to work as plastic but you would be surprissed what is out there in the gaming market.

with a  little work can be made into really nice models.