Panavia Tornado Wheel Set (3230) 1:32

Panavia Tornado Wheel Set (3230)

1:32 Halberd Models

3230-boxtop.jpg

Halberd Models’ recent flexible resin tyre sets require a slightly different method of construction to standard resin wheels, so I’ll refer you back to my initial review in 2019 here, which explains the process and design ethos in more detail.  It also has a link to a video that shows the process fully, so if you’re unsure about how to use flexible resin tyres it’s worth a read.

The assemblies are a drop-in replacement for the kit parts, so they should glue straight onto the landing gear axles, but it's always wise to test and adjust as necessary, as you'll be using either epoxy or super-glue to attach them because resin doesn't adhere with styrene glue.  The tyres will deform slightly under weight, just enough to give them a more realistic look, but not so much that they'll look in dire need of more air before the next mission.

3230-tornado.jpg

This set is designed for the big Revell kit, which has been re-released more than a few times under different marks, but the wheels shouldn’t differ so only one set is needed.  Arriving in the by now familiar box, there are ten resin hub parts on two casting blocks, plus four tyres – two larger main and two nose wheels.

Construction involves liberating the resin from their undercut base either with a razor saw or motor tool, then cutting the spoked centres out of the tyres and smoothing the inner face with a burr chucked into a motor tool.  Each main wheel has a thick rear part with brake-detail added inside the rim, and a thinner front hub face, while the two nose wheels each have two hub parts as you’d expect.  They’re best glued with super glue (CA), and the wheels can be painted with latex based acrylic paints if necessary.

Detail is excellent both on the hubs and tyres, and with sympathetic painting they should far outstrip that of the kit parts.

Highly recommended.

They’re currently being sold direct to customers via their Facebook page and through their distributors worldwide.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

I wonder how it will hold up

I asked that question of Andrey at the time of our first sample, as I think everyone that's been in the hobby for a while knows about those "rubber" tyres of yore that would melt in the box and merge with any parts they were touching.  This won't happen to this resin, as it's a completely different thing, and they chose the material after much research.  You'll not need to worry about them doing a mischief in the box while you procrastinate :)

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

I asked that question of Andrey at the time of our first sample, as I think everyone that's been in the hobby for a while knows about those "rubber" tyres of yore that would melt in the box and merge with any parts they were touching.  This won't happen to this resin, as it's a completely different thing, and they chose the material after much research.  You'll not need to worry about them doing a mischief in the box while you procrastinate :)

No not in the box, but on the model when its built.

• Like 1