Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

nimrod54

I returned to modelling in the late 80's and several years later, this kit and update set was one of my early larger scale purchases. It has been in and out of the stash several times since then, but being a slow builder, combined with the complex Flightpath detail set I have tended to shy away from starting it. Anyway I thought that this group build would be the ideal opportunity to get this one out and build it. I may run out of time but let's see how far I can get with it, and one thing I can say with confidence is that once I make a start, it will be finished.

Anyway, here are the box shots of the kit and Flightpath set. First the kit box and its contents.

49529380703_f7fac63728_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49530110967_f332f26af8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And here is the Flightpath box

49530111137_ed523fe864_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

with the etch brass sets

49529380838_dec98a0d91_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

and the white metal and resin details.  The set also includes a vac form canopy and decal sheet.

49529885271_2f2abf8e81_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

That's a lot of parts to prep, so I will need to plan things carefully and work in stages..

• Like 13

5 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Wow that's a comprehensive upgrade

weirdly enough, considering what is in the set, it's not.  Has nothing at all for the wheel well!  And the white metal wheels are not much cop either ...same as 4 spoke Tempest ones, if you happen to have Eduard leftovers, though some had block tread tyres.

Does set does have some quirks as well, like a Sten gun (it was noted in the Korean war pilots often packed in case of being shot down) and a white metal stork.... one of the carriers ended up being frequented by Sammy the stork IIRC ... it's mentioned in the instructions.

@nimrod54 the black stripe Hobbycraft kits usually have decent decals though, which may help.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Franz75 said:

Wow, advanced and challenged build it seems to me, PE parts will make this kit more detailed and "a live". Good luck 

Thanks very much Franz, the set will make an improvement, even if it is lacking in a couple of areas.

May I also add, what a nice area of Poland you live in, my wife and I have fond memories of Krakow. We spent a few days there when visiting our son whilst he was studying at the university, it is a lovely city.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks very much Franz, the set will make an improvement, even if it is lacking in a couple of areas.

May I also add, what a nice area of Poland you live in, my wife and I have fond memories of Krakow. We spent a few days there when visiting our son whilst he was studying at the university, it is a lovely city.

Thanks nimrod54, yes it is very beautiful city. I encourage every one to visit it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JosephLalor said:

The Flightpath PE frets look familiar to me as an owner of the PP Aerokits detail set.  It really is time I built it now!

Hi Joseph,

I can remember that when I first started to look at this detail set, that it was a PP Aeroparts produced item, but I think that Flightpath took over production around the time that my order was processed. IIRC the PP Aeroparts cockpit tub was made up of white metal forward and rear bulkheads and a floor. Flightpath have replaced these with a single cast resin item, which is great because it makes the whole thing lighter, but I feel that there is evidence that this may have been made by pre-assembling the white metal items to make a mould.

I am a bit apprehensive about putting this together, because it will be the largest update set that I have used, but I'm looking forward to seeing if I can squeeze most of Flightpath's improvements in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I made a start on this build today, making a small amount of progress. The first job was to remove the forward section of the nose on the fuselage parts and then I assembled the resin and white metal parts of the propeller. After that I glued the white metal exhaust stubs in place, I've decided to leave the gills closed so the detail/etch parts that sit behind those are redundant on this build. With those two jobs out of the way, it was time to start work on the cockpit tub and after checking the fit of the resin tub I got on with adding the etch panels and levers.

49753713151_3741c37e98_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49754050307_fdca485951_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Another OOB build going on here :rofl::whistle:

Enjoy the build good buddy. 

Cheers matey, I have pushed the boat out with this one and have gone for a two box build.  :winkgrin:

• Haha 3

On 09/04/2020 at 19:26, Cookenbacher said:

Nice work so far John.

Cheers Cookie. I did a bit more work on the cockpit this afternoon starting with the removal of the framing on the kit sidewalls, replacing that with Flightpath's etch and white metal detail parts.

49757814812_ca72ddb801_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49757814497_675d3f50a7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I then continued with detailing of the tub, adding etch panels, trim wheels etc to the side consoles, rudder pedals, control column and the rear mounting for the seat. The seat was folded up and the cushions held in place with blue-tac to check the fit, everything looks to be OK so I'll remove those for painting and glue the seat up later. The cockpit still has a few more levers and trim wheels to be added yet, after that it should be ready for some paint. 

49756954648_8077717b0c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49756954318_b87dd4172a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49757479861_5286ccef9d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The instrument panel has presented a bit of a problem, the detail part instruction say that the instruments are printed on a separate sheet, but I cannot find that anywhere in the box and the kit instrument decals don't line up with the etch. I think that I have some old Reheat instrument dials somewhere but if not I will source a generic set.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

The instrument panel has presented a bit of a problem, the detail part instruction say that the instruments are printed on a separate sheet, but I cannot find that anywhere in the box and the kit instrument decals don't line up with the etch. I think that I have some old Reheat instrument dials somewhere but if not I will source a generic set.

Hello -

If you want to just email your postal address from our web site - www.djparkins.com - and we'll send you another laser plotted sheet.

Regards

David Parkins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djparkins said:

Hello -

If you want to just email your postal address from our web site - www.djparkins.com - and we'll send you another laser plotted sheet.

Regards

David Parkins

David that is very kind of you, especially after such a long time. I will head across to your site now and send my address details, if there are any cost implications for you please let me know and I will gladly reimburse those.

Kind regards

• 2 weeks later...

The Flightpath instrument panel print arrived today, a big thank you to David for getting those out to me, and he has included a spare too. That is fantastic customer service after a gap of 23 years, I still have the original invoice in the box dated 6/4/97. Being one of the lucky people having to 'Shield' for 12 weeks, I have set those aside for a couple of days, but I will get back to working on the cockpit ASAP.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My apologies for the lack of progress on this build, but I did manage to get a small amount of work done over the past week. The instrument card was masked on the front and then sprayed white on the reverse side. The cockpit, fuselage halves, seat and etch instrument panels have all been primed with etch-primer and sprayed black, and the instrument panel was assembled. All of these are ready for a dry brush with a lighter shade and to have the details picked out, then I can add the final few levers and complete the assembly of the cockpit and fuselage.

49923278972_f6965069d4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49922974121_80e0270c08_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49923278837_5a0d689a31_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Unfortunately, this one will not make the deadline but due to the size of the update set I think that was likely to be the case. I feel that it is fair that I devote the time that it needs to do it and the end result justice, but this group build has made me stop procrastinating and pushed me into making start on it. With a couple of weeks left I will continue working and lets see how far I can get, and as I said at the beginning of the build now that I have started, it will be finished.

• Like 4