Vulcan Modelling Guide

Adam Poultney

I'm currently putting together a spreadsheet with all the various modifications to each of the 137 Avro Vulcans that was built that are visible externally, so worth noting for a model, such as the engine types or the Skybolt pylon mounting blisters that a number of Vulcan B2s were equipped with. Kind of a guide for modelling Vulcans. 

I'll likely have a number of questions that I won't be able to easily find an answer to. Mainly I'm looking for what years various modifications were done, right now I'm looking at the RWR fairings and TFR radar blisters (oh I am looking forward to trawling through vulcan photos to see which B2s were equipped with TFR blisters).

I'll also be looking for a list of which squadrons each aircraft served with and when and I'll see if I can list most of the schemes each aircraft wore.

I've also made a list of when each individual aircraft was scrapped, otherwise destroyed, or if it's been preserved. There's not many I can't find a year for scrapping. I'm surprised how many were clinging onto life into the 90s well after when most were scrapped between 1982 and 83. 

Any information anyone can offer would be appreciated. Once this is done I may do the same with Victors and perhaps Valiants, but I don't know them anywhere near as well as a Vulcan

• Like 3

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wfaFCM_fkGtopdJnO-qB2Ak2_IkVaJeod2FrY0u5E9Y/edit?usp=drivesdk

Here's the link to the first version with just some of the things I would like to add

56 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

Craig Bulman's "The Vulcan B.Mk2 from a Different Angle" is an entire book on what you're interested in! If you don't already have it I'd definitely pick a copy up, I think it would give you a lot of what you're looking for, and all in one place.

I'll look into getting that. My spreadsheet will of course include the Vulcan B1 and B1a

• Like 1

Looking very interesting so far, looks like you've got quite a lot of detail there already!

That's a good point about the B.1 and 1a, I'd forgotten about them! Unfortunately I'm not sure if there's anywhere near as much literature which covers them, but hopefully you'll be able to track down what you're after somewhere!

On the modifications front, you might find that the modifications APs contain at least some information that would help pin down dates and airframes? I think the RAF Museum at Hendon has them all, so it could be worth a trip.

• Like 1

Just now, ChocolateCrisps said:

Looking very interesting so far, looks like you've got quite a lot of detail there already!

The real challenge begins with the paint schemes... Not many photos around of some of them, especially B1s

1 minute ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

That's a good point about the B.1 and 1a, I'd forgotten about them! Unfortunately I'm not sure if there's anywhere near as much literature which covers them, but hopefully you'll be able to track down what you're after somewhere!

Everyone does, me on the other hand... Well, they're my favourite variant! My favourite aircraft of all time in fact. Could never forget about the originals. 

Not only is there not much literature, the only two kits ever made of them are both long out of production and only one of the two is even close to accurate (the incredibly rare frog one is actually pretty good).

4 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

On the modifications front, you might find that the modifications APs contain at least some information that would help pin down dates and airframes? I think the RAF Museum at Hendon has them all, so it could be worth a trip.

Went a few months ago, don't think I can get down there again for a while. Perhaps one for when I can drive myself there, should hopefully have my license by September/October if all goes well. 

8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Not many photos around of some of them, especially B1s

Probably not much help, but the AVRO Heritage museum on what’s left of the airfield at Woodford has a photo of every Vulcan built on the walls of its cafe.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Probably not much help, but the AVRO Heritage museum on what’s left of the airfield at Woodford has a photo of every Vulcan built on the walls of its cafe.

Mm I have a copy of a photo of every Vulcan saved on my PC, won't share them all out here because I don't know what ones are owned by who or anything. It's just finding pictures in every scheme each wore that will be a problem, especially ones that didn't last very long before being repainted again

10 hours ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

Craig Bulman's "The Vulcan B.Mk2 from a Different Angle" is an entire book on what you're interested in! If you don't already have it I'd definitely pick a copy up, I think it would give you a lot of what you're looking for, and all in one place.

Yeah, hard to find, but worth the effort.  It does exactly what you're talking about doing, so save yourself some work! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use avrovulcan.org.uk for all my research, not having any luck accessing the website now though. Think it's been disabled, however I would keep checking if I where you. Some great info on there on every Vulcan produced, if you haven't come across it already! 

9 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

On a related topic, does anyone have drawings of the Avro 710, the proposed half-scale Vulcan?

Some at 1/72 in Barrie Hygate’s British Experimental Jet Aircraft book. Will send you a message to arrange sending you 

• Like 1