1:48 FAA Tarpon, 849 Sqn

Dunny

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Dennis is my F4U cousin...I mean @Corsairfoxfouruncle we share the same atavic interest for the bent wing bird

I'm Alain, best known as CC

Don't you worry about that, it's usual

You did a great job, I started something similar with a Monogram and an Accurate Avenger.

I will restart my Tarpon as soon as I get my 3 Hellcats in RFI

Congrats again

Sincerely.

CC

Oops - my humble apologies Alain! Good luck with the Hellcats, and I look forward to the Tarpon with interest!

Roger

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Easily confused sir... we have similar screen names. 

Sorry sir - as you say, easily done...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I think we'll title this update 'Two Steps Forward, One Step Back". I made some progress on the detailing of the wing fold elements. First I added some Evergreen strips to represent the rib detailing. You can see the fold in situ just to check everything looked ok:

20200309-120420.jpg

I then started to build up the support linkage for the hydraulic actuators using 0.5mm brass tube anchored into Evergreen blocks:

20200309-122620.jpg

I then started to add some of the pipework using lead wire - already looks too thin to me:

20200309-132740.jpg

This is as far as I got before I knocked off the extremely delicate linkage :poo:

20200309-134024.jpg

After this I sat back, had a glass of wine and thought 'Nah - that looks cr*p'. :poop:

I came to the conclusion that this is simply beyond my skill level of scratch-building. 😞

But never fear, dear reader. I then had another glass of wine 🍷 , and decided to bring some hard-won professional skills to bear. Here's the results after a quick half hour tinkering:

Wing_Fold_CAD.png

I've used CAD and Additive Manufacturing professionally for 25+ years (yes really), but not brought it to this great hobby in the relatively short time since I returned. Sooooo, I'll spend a little more time detailing this before I post another update. I may dumb down some of the detail to cope with the resolution of the 3D printing process (but Shapeways are pretty good) - watch this space for the final design! (I'm sure it'll be a step forward from the poor attempt to date). Once I've finished detailing the wing folds and ordered them, I can crack on with painting the beast!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 4

Hi all,

Another quick update on the wing fold CAD efforts. I've spent a bit of time getting the actuator assembly right, and added in a few of the reinforcing ribs. Now I need to add in the piping, rivetting and wing location features and we'll be about there. I could get to enjoy this. - if it works it will be a big improvement on the scratched versions. Now I've got to figure out how to separate the current components from the wings - of course I glued them in! :facepalm:

Wing-Fold-CAD-2.png

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Well, this has been dormant for a while! My last post on this was in March 2020 - has anything happened since then? 🤣 My dual Hellcat build has rejuvenated my interest in this build. Rather than fluff around with folded wings I just decided to add the wings to the almost complete fuselage assembly. Here's the state of progress:

20210425-113341.jpg

That wasn't so difficult, was it?! You can see I've had to fill a small damaged area at the starboard wing fold. This occurred as I removed the 'folded' wing root component from the assembly, but a bit of spooge has sorted this out no problem.

As the colour scheme will be exactly the same as the Hellcat MkII I'm currently building I will put them both through the paint shop at the same time. The airframes will also show a similar level of wear, so I'm going to add a base coat of Zinc Chromate Yellow and use hairspray as a wear layer. This is just to reactivate this thread, so I'll update as I get towards paint!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
remove duplication
  • Like 4

Just now, dnl42 said:

Dang, I'm sorry I missed the start, but I'm happy to join now! :popcorn:

Welcome aboard - it did start a while ago, so on this occasion you are forgiven!🤣

Cheers,

Roger

Nice!  I've an "Operation Judgement" Tarpon (haven't decided which of the three Squadrons involved just yet) in the queue and your trailblazing will help me no end. 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Nice!  I've an "Operation Judgement" Tarpon (haven't decided which of the three Squadrons involved just yet) in the queue and your trailblazing will help me no end. 🙂

I'll look forward to seeing that one Mark - which kit will you be using? 

Hi All,

Another quick update. I couldn't resist putting on the undercarriage legs just to see how it looked:

L20210425-125247.jpg

Looks like a Tarpon to me! Finally, here's a shot with the Hellcat MkI, just to prove that this thread is current and not in some weird parallel universe:

20210425-125226.jpg

That's all for today as we've friends coming over for drinks. 

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget.

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I'll look forward to seeing that one Mark - which kit will you be using? 

Same as you, the HobbyBoss.

34 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget.

Same here, Lest We Forget.

• Like 1

Hi Roger

It's great to see this one back on the go again.  Looking forward to seeing this progress.  Did you get the blister window, I could only find one unfortunately.   

Hope you and yours enjoy the rest of ANZAC day too.  Lest we forget .

Chris

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger

It's great to see this one back on the go again.  Looking forward to seeing this progress.  Did you get the blister window, I could only find one unfortunately.   

Hope you and yours enjoy the rest of ANZAC day too.  Lest we forget .

Chris

Chris,

Still plunge moulding at this stage, but I have no worries - it will happen. Had a lovely day catching up with friends, so all is good!

Cheers,

Roger 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AaronKSJ said:

Also missed this first time round, glad to see it resurrected! 

Great work with scratch building.

Thanks Aaron - welcome aboard!