Tamiya Goliath 1/35 with Resin USN Rider

Scargsy

OK so the first of my slightly pushing the rules builds (as approved by the GB gods) is something that doesn't float and doesn't fly and land on something that floats...

spacer.png

Where is the naval connection? Well it's going to be ridden by this little resin chap...

spacer.png

A member of the USN playing with it, based on several famous photos of Utah Beach on D-Day (or just after), one can only imagine what the guys thought of a remote controlled drone/mine in those days!

It should prove a good exercise for me in doing figure painting, something I haven't done a lot of in about 30 years, I plan to do a tiny vignette/diorama with it, I have a tiny base that should suit it and hopefully I can model a bit of sand - not too many parts which is a blessing (given how many other GBs I have on the go currently), but a first for me in using resin.

I'll put up some parts photos later, though as I have 3 GBs needing my attention this is more of a holding page for now!

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

So it was Blitzbuild GB weekend and whilst not in that, I did get the modelling bug and decided to rescue this build from the oldest thread in the GB and do some work on it (hopefully it'll be quite a small one so I can finish this and the other entry).

So here are the resin after-market parts, my first time using resin, there were no instructions but hopefully it's pretty straight forward, however there seems to be 2 copies of the open hatch (though one appears to have a small defect/bubble in it, so maybe they just chucked that in with the replacement?)

spacer.png

The Tamiya kit seems nice - 3 sprues all individually bagged, 2 copies of the Goliath and one for the German crew, there's also some brass wire in there for the remote umbilical. The box also contains internal printing and the instructions contain lots of extra info.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png 

I'll only be using one Goliath sprue.

spacer.png

Here's the comparison between the original top and resin replacement.

spacer.png

So straight out of the gates and we've hit a problem...

Seems this resin stuff is a lot more brittle than I was expecting, ooops!

spacer.png

Anyhow I continued on and thankfully I think it's salvageable!

spacer.png

Not too many parts and it went together relatively easily, the only issues I really had was getting this rather flimsy bumper on without snapping the thin styrene bars (it's made of an upper and lower half)...

spacer.png

The other issue is the length and link tracks, I was going to try and stick them together but leave a break, remove from the model to paint separately then re-attach. However they're very thin and in the end I just had to stick them on. It might be a pain painting them later but I guess I'll live with it!

spacer.png

So for now here's where it's at - all built but might need a little bit of TLC and tidying before paint, you might notice that the Tamiya extra-thin glue is a bit hot (there's some of my melted cutting board on one of the idler wheels!

spacer.png

Edited by Scargsy

• 2 weeks later...

OK so in a mad panic I got this finished (didn't check for deadline extension - lol).

So I got a small appropriate base, masked it up and sanded the top before 'sanding' it again - this time with some acrylic sand texture stuff...

spacer.png

spacer.png

When it was almost dry I kind of poked about a bit in the top in the bigger blobs that had skinned over to help add some texture then once dry I used some sepia wash to kind of give it some variation in colour.

spacer.png

All the model parts got an initial coat of Alclad black primer from the airbrush before I got out the 'hairy sticks' and gave them some initial base colours (using Vallejo primer colours - Dunkelgelb for the Goliath, brown leather for the riders pants, white for the flesh and UK bronze green for the helmet and top - I realised later that he's wearing overalls so I corrected the front of him.

spacer.png

Anyhow much messing about with paints later I managed to finish, I wasn't overly happy with the overalls colour and kept adding oil paint layers to try and make it a bit more khaki/green, still a bit wet and shiny in the photos and I can see I took a bit off with my fingers on his straps when putting him together!

It would have been nice to add in the white stripes on the front and the control cable, also I realised a bit too late that the guy in the original photos is sat the other way round (pointing towards the front) and the access panel is hinged up, rather than sat on the side but as those gambling adverts say - when the fun stops, stop! :)

I think it's turned out alright though and I managed to not make too much of a mess of his helmet lettering and eyes (had to use the head magnifier the wife kindly bought me for Christmas!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5