Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Bangseat

The Mach 2 VC-10 - What Rough Beast

Recommended Posts

I am more than a little impressed that you were able to create not one, but two fuselage plugs, integrate them into the airframe assembly, and have the results match the looks of a Super VC-10.  I presume you'll save yourself some effort and use appropriately cut pieces of decal to substitute for eyebrow windows on the flight deck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I am more than a little impressed that you were able to create not one, but two fuselage plugs, integrate them into the airframe assembly, and have the results match the looks of a Super VC-10.  I presume you'll save yourself some effort and use appropriately cut pieces of decal to substitute for eyebrow windows on the flight deck?

Indeed. The ceiling of the cockpit is made of p38 filler, and I fear that if I had tried to make small holes for windows they wouldn't have been particularly accurate in shape. I'm not a fan of window decals in 1:72 but these are pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking really impressive now, you are on the home stretch, don't forget to add the periscope above the cockpit, I believe its a periscope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kev67 said:

Looking really impressive now, you are on the home stretch, don't forget to add the periscope above the cockpit, I believe its a periscope

Thanks Kev. It's on my list, didn't know it was a periscope, I had it down as 'black dot behind cockpit' 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is looking very nice indeed. Great work.

 

Regards

Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Thanks Kev. It's on my list, didn't know it was a periscope, I had it down as 'black dot behind cockpit' 😆

I believe its the Periscope navigators sextant instrument

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Innumerable final details - aerials, pitots, krystal klearing the windows, plus lots of little decals - the emergency hatches, the dayglo wingtip tape, the white striping on the nose, the red striping around the baggage holds, some tiny Royal Mail logos, and of course the eyebrow windows, which are just Xtradecal black striping cut to shape. But I'm just about calling it done:

2020-05-30_09-29-01 2020-05-30_09-48-16

 

I'm both pleased and weary!

 

I decided that the cockpit windows needed to be sharpened up, and I decided to add edges, again in Xtradecal black stripe. This is a bit of a cheap trick, it pays dividends from afar but of course won't fool anyone up close:

2020-05-30_09-29-12

But I think it's more win than lose. Hopefully my next scratchbuilt cockpit windows [develops hand tremor] will have slightly higher fidelity, but at least I can tick the personal development box with this build...

Here's a shot from above which shows the asymmetry of the BA titles:

2020-05-30_09-28-35

 

I'll do an RFI in due course. It's a photographic challenge so I may be some time!

 

All the best,

Harry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent result and well worth the time and effort you put into it.


I’d say ‘good old fashioned modelling’ but you’ve used some 21st century technology to beat this into submission!

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking really excellent, welcome to the VC10 1/72 scale club, for a Mach 2 kit it looks very nice, plus all the conversion detail you have done to make it a Super VC10, I had a chance to buy one at Telford, but the nose and some other detail made me have second thoughts, but then again I thought it would be nice to do the corrections on the kit as it can't be as difficult as the vac form kit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fabulous results with a very challenging kit!

The amount of work you have put there is mind boggling.

Congratulations on arriving to the finish line with such good model!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My oh my, what an outstanding effort, talk about pigs ears and silk purses 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bangseat said:

decided that the cockpit windows needed to be sharpened up, and I decided to add edges, again in Xtradecal black stripe. This is a bit of a cheap trick, it pays dividends from afar but of course won't fool anyone up close:

Brilliant results all around, and cheap tricks are what I'm all about!  Totally concur with your decision to sharpen the cockpit lines this way.  It also suggests weatherstripping, which is not necessarily inaccurate.  The air data probe on the nose looks a little on the big side, but I'm happily corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can all appreciate your journey with this one and you’ve pulled off a result that we can only admire. It’s stunning and that nose looks superb. The edges on the windows look great close up and certainly don’t look like a cheat, but rather part of the window design. Well done :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kev67 said:

Looking really excellent, welcome to the VC10 1/72 scale club, for a Mach 2 kit it looks very nice, plus all the conversion detail you have done to make it a Super VC10, I had a chance to buy one at Telford, but the nose and some other detail made me have second thoughts, but then again I thought it would be nice to do the corrections on the kit as it can't be as difficult as the vac form kit 

Thanks Kev. I for one would love to see another VC10 from you, but life is short so no pressure! You touch on an interesting point - is a Mach 2 kit needing a whole heap of reengineering still easier than a vac. I'm not qualified to say alas..

10 hours ago, Moa said:

Fabulous results with a very challenging kit!

The amount of work you have put there is mind boggling.

Congratulations on arriving to the finish line with such good model!!

 

Thanks for all your encouragement Moa. You'll be pleased to know more civilians are planned! But I may steer away from mind boggling and focus on fun a bit more.

 

35 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I think we can all appreciate your journey with this one

 

Thanks Woody. It was good to explore the edges of my capabilities, and find out how much I actually like this hobby! Turns out, a lot.

 

We have our first sprog touching down in a month, and something tells me this is my last chance to be able to indulge this amount of time and focus in a plastic model for quite a while...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a super result! Good luck with your other project too :) I’d say you have around two years to build some high child-proof shelves for your modelling needs...

 

Regards,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That is a super result! Good luck with your other project too :) I’d say you have around two years to build some high child-proof shelves for your modelling needs...

And a lockable door on your modeling room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...