The Mach 2 VC-10 - What Rough Beast

Bangseat

Excellent work here Bangseat. As I tend to modify all my kits (or the manufactures always produce the wrong versions) I really appreciate your efforts. And learning new stuff as well.

One question about the "Blue Stuff": is it re-usable?

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

Incredible skill and patience needed to beat this into submission! Outstanding work.

I think I had a lucky escape not buying the Mach2 Argosy (why is that £50!?) - I don't have either the skill or perseverance to cope with something that starts off marginally better than vac-form!

Looking forward to seeing this finished.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic thread here mate. Just read it from top to bottom. One useful link for pics:

https://www.airliners.net/search?keywords=G-asgi&sortBy=dateAccepted&sortOrder=desc&perPage=36&display=detail

Might give you the angle for the wing walkways. I'd also suggest looking at other Negus Supers to see if they have better images. 

• Thanks 1

Wow!  This is looking fantastic.  What?  Asymmetry on a MACH-2 kit?  How is that possible?  😉 Having survived their Caravelle kit, I can attest to the work involved in getting one of their subjects to this point.  Your efforts are beyond what I would ever attempt.  Is there an OBE for this in store?  Best, Alex T.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Antti_K said:

One question about the "Blue Stuff": is it re-usable?

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti - yes it is, just re-soak in hot water and it is mouldable. 

@Lewis95 I have of course looked at many pics on airliners.net, and although you can see edges of the walkway in some I've not yet found the money shot. It would more likely be an air to air photo and they are rare for airliners.

35 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Asymmetry on a MACH-2 kit?  How is that possible?  😉 Having survived their Caravelle kit

You have my sympathies. What an awful kit of such a beautiful plane (sounds familiar)..

44 minutes ago, Moa said:

oh, the slow peeling of the tape, revealing the surface...

I say..! I should aspire to be a slow peeler, I tend to remove it in a bit of a frenzy...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/29/2020 at 6:32 AM, Bangseat said:

I'd say it depends on your intention in terms of finishing. I find Mach 2 kits need heavy sanding and consequently a lot of filler primer and rescribing, you'll possibly spend less time on the finish of the vac. That said, there are other issues building a vacform. 

I don't own it, but from what have seen I'm not sure it has a better form particularly. Maybe they're neck and neck? Interestingly, the masters came up for sale on eBay recently, did anyone see?

2020-02-29_06-25-52

The Airways vac form can be built into a nice presentable model with a bit of patience and some filler

spacer.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kev67 said:

The Airways vac form can be built into a nice presentable model with a bit of patience and some filler

spacer.png

Hi Kev, thanks for stopping by! Your 10 is a thing of wonder, and very inspiring when I saw it in the flesh at Milton Keynes, i want to say 2018? My diary says that's where we should be today, oh well! 

• Like 1

I realised yesterday that something needed to be done about the engines, and hoped a bit of bodgery would result in engines that were level and at the correct angle. Since I have realised that the kit plastic is not up to even bodging, and that a book could be written about the Vc-10's stub wings, the mounting of the engines and all the variations between models. 

The problems are:

The kit roughly models a standard, with a straight stub wing trailing edge :

2020-05-10_02-14-09

However, the Super had a kink in it, thus:

2020-05-10_02-03-21

In addition, the kit mounts the stub wing in such a way that the trailing edge terminates about mid way up the rear fuselage, whereas in reality it terminates way lower. You can see this above, and here, where the downward cant of the stub wing is shown, versus the profile of the kit, which is just a straight line towards the tail:

2020-05-09_09-48-30 2020-05-09_09-47-31

And course if you adjust the angle of the kit's stub wing, it doesn't match the engine pods, unless you want them pointing up at a 30 degree angle like desperate puppies.

Which leaves me here:

2020-05-10_02-04-18

2020-05-10_02-04-05 2020-05-10_02-03-36

I approach this in a similar way to wing fences: I start with a card template with a mostly straight line and then just hack slivers off with a scalpel eyeballing until it fits. Except this time I am trying to match both the contours of the fuselage (at a sultry plunging angle) and the comely curves of the engine. 

It really is a beast to get bang on, which this won't be by the way. The stub wing also twists in the middle (at least on the Super) which I suppose could be done if you started with a brass piece, but I didn't! 

So back out with the p38, into surgical scrubs and back to theatre..

2020-05-10_02-40-20

May your stub wings ever be simple in geometry.

Harry

• Like 5

On 5/9/2020 at 11:01 AM, Moa said:

oh, the slow peeling of the tape, revealing the surface...

If this model thing doesn't work out, you've got a career ahead as a pole dancer.

• Haha 2

Progress on the 10. After biting the bullet and making some new stub wings for the engines, I sat down yesterday and attached them. There comes a point in a build like this where I have to stage a tactical withdrawal and I'm going to call it a draw, rather than victory:

2020-05-17_07-37-11 2020-05-17_07-37-53

It looks like a vc10 with engines, at least. The angles aren't quite right, symmetry is not quite bang on, and I didn't manage the twist to get the straight trailing edge. They really are a bugger.

Now it is pretty much structurally complete, its details. Door outlines are a mix of painted straight on, and for the awkward ones painted on a decal.

2020-05-17_07-36-50

2020-05-17_07-37-39

The wing walks have also been revamped - we're calling it as orange for the outlines. Huge thanks to @Turbofan for sage advice here.

I unmasked the cockpit because I needed the psychological boost of knowing it had survived. Theres a bit of spray bleed and dust, but hey. This is my imperfect scratchbuilt cockpit! 

2020-05-17_07-57-23

Also ADF antennae, some black line decal for the rubber seals on the slats - quite a visible feature, and in the end I did a bit more of a wash on the wings, using a homemade grey/blue wash using artists water colours and a spot of detergent. (It is quite useful to be able to create exotic coloured washes I find - i once did a bright red wash for the air brakes in a T45 goshawk, where the red interior peaks through the vent holes). 

Quite a few more bits and bobs to do, but I see no reason why the big sexy decals cant go on next weekend. Then the undercarriage awaits..

2020-05-17_08-14-56

Edited by Bangseat
  • Like 12

The last lap really can be exhausting, especially with such a big plane with so many tiny wotchamadoobreys attached to it!

I worked out a schedule of jobs and an order of play to avoid any unnecessary flipping of the model (I have to hire in contractors for that, you should see what they're charging in lockdown..) The plan was to get the underside finished in full, get it on its wheels, and work from there. Anyway, I'm now done on the underside:

2020-05-25_04-37-59

That's pre wheels, but after light weathering (oils on gloss and pastels after a satin coat) and attachment of "stuff". There is quite a prominent fairing on the belly which may be present in the kit, but there are so many nondescript blobs of styrene that might be a refuelling probe, a tailcone or a flight toilet, I made it from miliput. Lights are, as is my wont, made from costume rhinestones of various sizes (bought for this purpose, not for a secret life as a line dancer I hasten to add). The metallics, AK Extreme Metal, had to be redone after several months (blimey) under Tamiya's finest. Here's the UC by the way:

2020-05-25_04-37-31

Remasking and painting became a bit of theme. One problem I have with big airliners is the amount of handling and time in the workshop leads to paintwork becoming dirty, especially large areas of white which are a given with these planes. Dirty as hell isn't a look I'm after,  so after flipping the plane I bit the bullet and redid the white over most of the fuselage:

2020-05-25_04-37-43

That meant I had to redo the door outlines. These aren't as annoying as they look I find, I tend to use painted on decals. One time saver I have found is that the curvy edges can be rounded off with a cocktail stick, after masking and spraying square edges:

2020-05-25_04-37-13

2020-05-25_04-37-03

That done, I have started on the final stretch, and the titles have gone on one side:

2020-05-25_04-36-48

Very satisfying! There really is nothing like decalling airliners, the transformation is above and beyond the joy of sticking on roundels and nondescript code numbers. 

Aerials, pitots and more lights will keep me busy for a few more hours on this, but it's hot in the shop and I need a break. Oh, and I must remember to stick the tail on..

2020-05-25_05-09-22

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

This is quite an amazing transformation.  I'm almost as eager as you to see how this develops.  Yes, big airliners are a real pain to maneuver on the workbench, and a lot of stuff goes wrong.  Keep plugging away!   P.S.: I like the chipped paint on the tailplane leading edge.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is quite an amazing transformation.  I'm almost as eager as you to see how this develops.  Yes, big airliners are a real pain to maneuver on the workbench, and a lot of stuff goes wrong.  Keep plugging away!   P.S.: I like the chipped paint on the tailplane leading edge.

Thank you! Nearly there...