The Last Vigilante

reini

On 11/03/2020 at 00:16, Andwil said:

Cockpit looks great, can the canopies be posed open?  I should hate all that detail to be near invisible.

AW

Yes, they can - and thats my plan :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

spacer.png

Little more prepare work to do before I can close the fuselage.

spacer.png

Main landing gear wells. Not sure what's up with the flat part with the hole in it - seems completely pointless. Like they forgot to put a hole in the landing gear wells and had to make a new part to fix the mistake...

spacer.png

They fit nicely, though.

spacer.png

Main landing gears are quite far back, so I'm suspecting this doesn't need nose weight. But better be on the safe side and I put in some weight anyways.

spacer.png

Some paint for the engine parts. Forgot to take picture after the actual painting but oh well. I made a mix of gunmetal, dull aluminium & black - to create dulled black metallic paint to fit the engines.

Next I can start figuring out the fuselage bracing.

spacer.png

Nothing fancy, I made some supports from sprue and other random bits.

spacer.png

Almost forgot that I had to glue the nose landing gear before closing the fuselage.

spacer.png

Slowly going around I got a pretty good fit, except the middle fuselage underside. But luckily the camera 'canoe' will fit over it and mostly hides my poor seam.

spacer.png

After my battle to close the fuselage - I noticed half of my nose landing gear strut was missing...

spacer.png

... but luckily I checked the trash bin (after checking out everthing else of course) and there it was. I think I will leave it off and fix it once the build is ready to stand on it's own wheels.

spacer.png

Here we are now. I can start figuring out the wings, tail & intakes. Here together with my Nordic builds - Viggen & Starfighter - it can be seen that the Vigilante is pretty sizeable airplane.

• Like 6

she is a big sucker for sure.

I like the structure you built inside, that will definitely help keep the fuselage solid and in shape. Shame and lucky with the nose gear!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reini said:

After my battle to close the fuselage - I noticed half of my nose landing gear strut was missing...

Argh! I hate that about some kit design where you have to install the nose gear very early in the build. I have this with the F-18 I'm currently building:

tn_IMG_20200314_123436

So did this to protect it:

tn_IMG_20200326_155557

So far still attached! 

Going really well so far, keep up the great work 👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

spacer.png

Doing some work on the wings. It seems there are little plastic missing on the other wing, it shouldn't be rounded like that...

spacer.png

Gluing stuff.

spacer.png

The 'canoe' went down nicely, doesn't seem to need any filling. And it hid quite abit of a seam that would have needed filling & sanding!

spacer.png

There's bit of a ledge on the nose, though.

spacer.png

Tail shape is straight - but it should have a curve instead. Glued some plasticard and filled the gap with sprue goo.

spacer.png

And sanded it to shape.

Still lots of things here and there to do - but I think I can get down gluing the wings soon :) 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

After the primer (Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey) the underside is sprayed with Insignia White (Vallejo 71.279).

spacer.png

I did not have radome tan, so I mixed Insignia White with Iraqui Sand.

spacer.png

Some black squiggly lines to create some preshading. Tamiya Rubber Black.

spacer.png

Light ghost... or was it dark gull... ah... I always mix up the darks and the lights and the gulls and the ghosts. But the grey color appropriate for this scheme, Vallejo, it's painted here :D 

spacer.png

And the masks removed. It's ready go! :) Well, some little things to do still :P 

• Like 8

Hi Reini,

Looking good. Vietnam era it would have been non specular (flat) Light Gull Gray over glossy white AFAIK. It would probably have dural leading edges as well.

Pete

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she's looking really nice Reini!!! :thumbsup:

I'd love to build another one but just don't think I could bring myself to build the Trumpy model!

Agreed, must admit I'm getting tempted to pull my olde Airfix kit out of the cupboard and make a start on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Reini,

Looking good. Vietnam era it would have been non specular (flat) Light Gull Gray over glossy white AFAIK. It would probably have dural leading edges as well.

Pete

Thanks Peter. Yes, Light Gull Grey is the color - I just never remember which one is which. I have done too few US Navy planes obviously :PGloss white, same thing as Insignia White? 

Good call with the wing leading edges, masking them now as we speak. Also the vertical tail, looks like it should be white and not gray. 

@trickyrich & @Richard E I get what you mean - but luckily this is such a cool subject so I doubt it will end up in the shelf of doom :P  But not really tempted to do another. It's hard to pinpoint whats the actual issue, I guess it's just the little things. Or the little bit bigger things. 'Almost, but not quite' seems to be the mantra with accuracy, parts fit, design etc.  It's not quite the same as some old kit you know is lacking in detail and might not be perfect fit, they usually have that 'something' that might be bit hard to define but makes the kit interesting (or just nostalgia :P ).  When I got back to the hobby I was drawn towards the Trumpeter kits, value for money and the wide selection was tempting. But now I usually try to steer away, unless it's a really interesting subject that no-one else does. Not saying that there's anything wrong with liking Trumpeter kits, each to their own of course :)

• Like 2

to sort of put things in perspective, my Vigilante was the old Collect-Aire 1/48th resin beast (that for some crazy reason I added full resin AM stuff to!!), not an easy build at all. But a few people have built that one and the Trumpy model and all agree the Collect-Are one is an easier build (and more accurate one)...now that is saying something!

If I could get another Collect-Aire beast at the right price (I think I only paid $60 for mine)I maybe tempted!

• Like 1

Hi Reini,

Yes the tail and also the control surfaces on the topside are usually painted white - seems strange I know to break up the camo like that but then light grey is hardly the best choice over land anyway I would have thought.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

spacer.png

And the decals are on. Just in case, I applied some Liquid Deal film on the Print Scale decals - but atleast after that, they went on nicely and did not break up or anything. Nice and thin. Trumpeter decals weren't too bad to put down either - but some of the colors, alignment and size was bit questionable. But I'm sure they will do the trick and don't stick out too bad. They went on nicely too, especially after some Micro Sol.

Next up, a coat of satin/semi gloss and we can start the weathering.

• Like 4

Hi Reini,

Glad the decs worked, I was a little worried about them as Print Scale either work well or fall part it seems - at this late stage it would be a real pain if I had sent you some duds! 

Looking great.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

That's looking really nice.  I kept eyeballing my Vigi this weekend that is sitting on the corner of the desk this awaiting it's turn back on the assembly line.  I need to get a couple others out of the way first though.

Too many shelf queens, too little time.  :rofl2:

Edited by helios16v
  • Haha 2

On 01/06/2020 at 19:00, helios16v said:

Too many shelf queens, too little time.  :rofl2:

I hear you... :frantic:

spacer.png:S

:giggle:

spacer.png

Little testing with the washes. Flory Models Dark Dirt has been my go-to wash, it goes with pretty much anything. But I just bought the Gray one too, and I thought it could work well with the light gray & white.

spacer.png

You get more contrast with the Dark Dirt, obviously it being darker, but it also makes it the plane look bit more dirty. In this case, I prefer the gray one, it still creates some subtle weathering that is great base for adding on more weathering. So Gray it is.

spacer.png

Washes done, landing gear are on, most of the small bits glued. I was about to make the wings folded, but decided not to in the end.

Things that still need to be done is the canopy framing, need to glue all the PE framing parts on the inside & paint them. And do the final weathering.

spacer.png

I also visited IKEA and got this rather nice display cabinet for my models. Still need to figure out some lighting to it.

• Like 2