This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Ratch

Grumping into the 20s

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

We’ve been carrying hand sanitizer in the car for years, I suppose I ought to check the use by date of the current one.

:rofl2: It just reminded me of a meme I received yesterday from a mate of mine with regard of all the fuss about the "Kahoona" virus.

It was in Spanish, but it was sort of: "If sanitizing yer hands with alcohol gel will help you get rid of most of the viruses, drinking it will make you almost immortal." 

Further to my grump about my paypal account going awol for a few days, I have just found out the call I made to 'sort it out' has cost me a premium rate phone call. £13.08 to call paypal's 'help' line. Both paypal and Virgin media took a slice of that, as I am contract and get 5000 free minutes a month. I barely use 300 max.   :rant:

The real FREE number is 0800 358 7911         do not use the 0845 number.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Sellers on eBay again,this time one's that won't post to the Channel Islands,we're part of the UK and the postage rate is the same plus it's not as though we're in the middle of the Pacific!....

On 12/03/2020 at 13:29, bentwaters81tfw said:

Further to my grump about my paypal account going awol for a few days, I have just found out the call I made to 'sort it out' has cost me a premium rate phone call. £13.08 to call paypal's 'help' line. Both paypal and Virgin media took a slice of that, as I am contract and get 5000 free minutes a month. I barely use 300 max.   :rant:

The real FREE number is 0800 358 7911         do not use the 0845 number.

Thanks for that number, as I may need to contact them to reopen my account.

John.

My grump today is the whole Corona Virus thing. The wife is in the 'vulnerable' category. She has two long awaited hospital appointments, one this week and one next, and is determined to go to them. Personally, if it was me in her shoes, I would cancel them until another date but, as she has waited for many moons, she wants them done. Although she admits herself that she is in the at risk category she can't see the wisdom of postponement. Casting a beady around the outside world via the internet it would seem that Armageddon is fast approaching but the 'tally' of actual cases seems not to correlate with the way folks are treating the situation. It is a truly baffling time on this benighted rock . Do you hunker down In your bunker with your bog roll supply and a respirator on or get on with daily life? If it was just me I would carry on as normal but the missus is, as I said, somewhat vulnerable and one who finds risk analysis a somewhat alien concept. Truly difficult and irritating times.

3 hours ago, Beardie said:

My grump today is the whole Corona Virus thing. The wife is in the 'vulnerable' category. She has two long awaited hospital appointments, one this week and one next, and is determined to go to them. Personally, if it was me in her shoes, I would cancel them until another date but, as she has waited for many moons, she wants them done. Although she admits herself that she is in the at risk category she can't see the wisdom of postponement. Casting a beady around the outside world via the internet it would seem that Armageddon is fast approaching but the 'tally' of actual cases seems not to correlate with the way folks are treating the situation. It is a truly baffling time on this benighted rock . Do you hunker down In your bunker with your bog roll supply and a respirator on or get on with daily life? If it was just me I would carry on as normal but the missus is, as I said, somewhat vulnerable and one who finds risk analysis a somewhat alien concept. Truly difficult and irritating times.

I’m very much in the hunker down camp. If Italy is a foretaste of what we can expect in a couple of weeks time then I really really don’t want to risk catching it.

I’ve reduced kidney function and developed chronic fatigue syndrome after donating a kidney so don’t like my odds of being triaged as economically worth saving 

8 hours ago, Beardie said:

I worked out last night (this is based on the figures released yesterday, so may have changed since.....)

Based on the UK population of 66.44 million people, there has been (so far) a recorded 1,372 infected cases, and 35 deaths. By my calculation that is 0.0021% of the UK population infected, and 0.00005% that has died so far. And the majority of those that have died have been those that have had serious underlying medical conditions (ie so serious, they probably would have been in hospital anyway due to their condition).

I appreciate that breaking it down into pure statistics seems rather cold, but... the way that people are starting to panic and behave you would think that 10's of thousands in the country had died and 100's of thousands were infected. Similarly of a world population of some 7 billion, the numbers infected are even smaller. So why the hell are we all panicking the way we are, and going in to total meltdown?

Going back to @Beardie comment, we just need to get on with life until told otherwise, that's what I'm personally going to do - go about my normal daily routine, and normal patterns. Why change at the moment?

Sorry for the rant, but it's been really getting on my nerves the way people have been behaving over the last few weeks since details of this contagion emerged, and everyone seems to have lost all sense of reality or perspective. Yes, at some point necessary measures will need to be taken, but not at the moment. We are not at that stage! In the words of the poster..... KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!  (or as modellers... Keep Calm And Keep on Building Models )

13 hours ago, Beardie said:

If it was just me I would carry on as normal

The decision to be socially distant and self-isolating is pretty much being made for us. Our friends and family know that my step daughter Becky, is a doctor on the designated Coronavirus ward at a local hospital, so one by one they are all cancelling previously planned stuff. Mrs Gorby was due to get her hair done tomorrow, so I suggested phoning them to see if they are happy to go ahead under the circumstances and surprise surprise, appointment cancelled. We often go to a couple of local cafes for lunch where we know the staff quite well, but if we go there and they end up with the virus, they are obviously going to suspect us.

Feeling pretty p'eed off at the moment and we are both extremely worried about Becky.

22 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Feeling pretty p'eed off at the moment and we are both extremely worried about Becky.

I can completely understand that Mark, and I hope that she stays safe, as she's doing a risky job. Being a Libran, I can see both sides of the argument. On one hand, I want to take a base ball bat to some of these idiots who are walking out of stores with enough tissue to wipe every back side in China. Similarly, the headline writers at a lot of the newspapers want a good slap for some of the sensationalist headlines that they are coming out with. Over here, the French have shut everything except supermarkets and pharmacies (Oh, and BarTabacs???) and people have been told to keep one metre distance between themselves. This prompted a phone call last night from our hair dresser in which she said "With the best will in the world, I can't cut your hair from one metre away". So, no haircut. I'll just have to go on tripping over the ends.

But that said, I was booked to go back to the UK on the 29th March, but I've cancelled it for two reasons. One, I'm in the at risk category, being over 70 and with a weakened immune system due to arthritis, and two, if either the French or the British  were to impose a travel ban while I'm in the UK, I'm snookered, and goodness knows how long that would be for. I also worry about members of my immediate and extended family. My son is asthmatic and my 90 year old brother-in-law also has arthritis and a heart condition. 

I know that a lot of people will be looking at this situation and be frustrated by what's happening, but IMO, a lot of it is necessary.

John (taking it all calmly, but not complacently).

27 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

My son is asthmatic

That's one of the many reasons we are worried about Becky as she is also asthmatic, but there isn't enough medical staff for that to excuse her dealing with the Covid-19 patients. In fact she is the designated coronavirus doctor, even though she is still only a junior doctor.

Even worse than the panic-buying, in the hospital she is working in (Warwick) some scum have stolen packs of masks, toilet rolls and even ripped hand-gel dispensers off the walls.

Such selfish low-life gits should be 'volunteered' as Covid-19 guinea-pigs.

We just went online to see if we could book an ASDA delivery this week to avoid having to take the risk of exposure involved in grocery shopping but the service is booked up into the coming weekend and no-one else delivers to our area. Never seen a time (except for the week before Christmas) where you couldn't book a delivery within a maximum of two days. I guess I just have to risk it and do the shopping myself. I have no fear for myself as I'm fit as a fiddle but if I bring it back with the shopping I could end up doing the wife serious harm.

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

...............the hospital she is working in (Warwick) some scum have stolen packs of masks, toilet rolls and even ripped hand-gel dispensers off the walls.

Just hope that Cov and Warwick NHS is similar to the Leeds NHS trust, their hand wash is alchohol free......Why? I hear you ask.

Well, the alchoholics were drinking it and certain sections of some religions complained vociferously. Oh, how do I know? Yougest Daughters  a nursing Sister with 'em.

9 hours ago, treker_ed said:

By my calculation that is 0.0021% of the UK population infected, and 0.00005% that has died so far. And the majority of those that have died have been those that have had serious underlying medical conditions (ie so serious, they probably would have been in hospital anyway due to their condition).

I appreciate that breaking it down into pure statistics seems rather cold, but... the way that people are starting to panic and behave you would think that 10's of thousands in the country had died and 100's of thousands were infected. Similarly of a world population of some 7 billion, the numbers infected are even smaller. So why the hell are we all panicking the way we are, and going in to total meltdown?

Isn't the point about this whole thing that, because there is no existing immunity, a considerably larger proportion of the population than normally seen with the annual flu season will almost inevitably be infected ,.  If it is only 10% of the 66million (and some predictions are above 50%) then that is 6.6 million infected and, at 1% fatalities, 66,000 deaths.  Currently they reckon the number infected doubles every 5 days so if 100 were infected today 50 days later it would be over 100,000 a day. 

Personally those sort of numbers suggest there is something to be concerned about and it is worth accepting that things will need to close down for the near term to minimise the overall impact in the long term.

What's the need to use the word LOCKDOWN. That's what they do to prisoners. With the sick or infected its QUARANTINE

4 hours ago, Ratch said:

What's the need to use the word LOCKDOWN. That's what they do to prisoners. With the sick or infected its QUARANTINE

The media obsession with Americanisms? Plus the former word has only two syllables which fits better with todays 'sound bite' mentality.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, Bullbasket said:

I want to take a base ball bat to some of these idiots who are walking out of stores

Did you see the nurse on the beeb saying she'd been working 48hrs went to do some shopping and the shop was empty,fruit/veg and most of everything else,those people are a disgrace and should be ashamed of themselves...

9 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

should be ashamed of themselves.

Those sort of people don't understand the concept of shame.

22 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Did you see the nurse on the beeb saying she'd been working 48hrs went to do some shopping and the shop was empty,fruit/veg and most of everything else,those people are a disgrace and should be ashamed of themselves...

She's been inundated with offers of food and support apparently, which is heartening.

11 minutes ago, IanC said:

She's been inundated with offers of food and support apparently, which is heartening.

Unfortunately there are plenty more in her position.

Tesco has announced that they are opening at 9am on Sunday for NHS and other key workers. Excellent! The trouble is my step-daughter starts work at 9am.

3 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Unfortunately there are plenty more in her position.

Tesco has announced that they are opening at 9am on Sunday for NHS and other key workers. Excellent! The trouble is my step-daughter starts work at 9am.

I think Tesco and others need to start a 'click and collect' service just for key workers. So they can pick it once off shift. Whenever that is. Or reserve some home deliveries for them.

On 3/16/2020 at 6:04 PM, Beardie said:

We just went online to see if we could book an ASDA delivery this week to avoid having to take the risk of exposure involved in grocery shopping but the service is booked up into the coming weekend and no-one else delivers to our area. Never seen a time (except for the week before Christmas) where you couldn't book a delivery within a maximum of two days. I guess I just have to risk it and do the shopping myself. I have no fear for myself as I'm fit as a fiddle but if I bring it back with the shopping I could end up doing the wife serious harm.

Click & collect?

On 3/16/2020 at 3:10 AM, Beardie said:

one who finds risk analysis a somewhat alien concept.

That's obvious, she married you. Tracking back to your grump about declining tv standards may I suggest Youtube or the Smthsonian channel?

There have been brawls  in supermarkets in France, I think we might be seeing the CRS on the streets if this spreads, and they don’t play nice at all.

Meanwhile, I decided to cut the grass today and taking the machine out of the barn I discovered a flat tyre which had also come away from the rim. “ No problem “ I thought, I'll take the wheel off and force the tyre back onto the rim be wrapping a strap around it. Wrong! You need a special tool to take the wheel off and there aren’t any jacking points anyway. There is a very good garden centre in the local town, but even if it was still open I don’t think the Gendarmes would deem it an essential journey somehow. :angry:

6 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

There have been brawls  in supermarkets in France, I think we might be seeing the CRS on the streets if this spreads, and they don’t play nice at all.

Meanwhile, I decided to cut the grass today and taking the machine out of the barn I discovered a flat tyre which had also come away from the rim. “ No problem “ I thought, I'll take the wheel off and force the tyre back onto the rim be wrapping a strap around it. Wrong! You need a special tool to take the wheel off and there aren’t any jacking points anyway. There is a very good garden centre in the local town, but even if it was still open I don’t think the Gendarmes would deem it an essential journey somehow. :angry:

Do you have a tractor? they wouldn't dare try and stop you!

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

It was heartbreaking just watching it. They ought to show it at the beginning of each news bulletin. To a certain degree, I blame the supermarkets for allowing it to happen in the first place. I know that they've reacted now, but it smacks a little of the stable door and the horse that's bolted.

John.