Grumping into the 20s

Not often I get so grumpy that the grumpyness level prompts me to release on this topic to prevent acute boil over grumpy kicking the cat but this just :angry::jump_fire:

So do not read on if you have high blood pressure or might be tempted to throw something.

There I was having a quiet read at the BBC news page on the net when i was ambushed and assaulted by this article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54119758

Yes Zoe Ball has had a pay rise.  Just a wee one.  her increase - yes thats increase - wait for it as sarge used to say - is a teensy weensy modest 1

No, not 1 as in £1 but 1 as in £1,000,000 - yes one million pounds - increase - she gets paid more than that of course (£1.36 million excluding her commercial spin off work bought by the BEEB)

This presumably in recognition of her amazing success in increasing the listening figures in the morning - er Oh dear - I found this

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/14/zoe-balls-bbc-radio-2-show-loses-a-million-listeners

Her show lost a million listeners.  That's a £1 increase in pay for everyone who now listens to something else in the morning.  Well she got £3 from our household then - a fiver if the dogs count.  

You could not make this stuff up.  Talk about does yer face fit

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

I thought it was Broken Broadcasting Corporation.

Don't get me started on presenters' salaries; how anyone can justify what some of them receive is beyond me.  That's all I'm going to say on the subject, or it might turn ugly!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

What makes me laugh is Gary Lineker took a 400,000 drop in pay....

And how that headlined the BBC web site news story(yesterday - they have changed the page now presumably as hiding it didn’t work).  You had to read on further past all that to see Zoe Balls £1 million increase buried away inside the "good" news.  To be honest I can see that some DJ's are worth their £400,000 salary and that seems to be a bench mark for the likes of Steve Wright, Ken Bruce and a few others.  Quite how the astronomic increase and differential is justified is beyond me.  I appreciate its the first full year she has had since taking the morning slot over but setting aside performance issues with falling audiences can anyone really justify an above £1 million salary at the public service broadcaster?  Especially when equally talented individuals are doing a comparable job successfully for a third of that IMHO.

• Like 2

Esther Rantzan was on Breakfast news this morning, and oh boy! did he have some things to say about the salaries of some Beeb "stars". She was particularly scathing when talking about Gary Lineker. I don't think that she was overly impressed by his 400k reduction in salary. Her suggestion was that NOBODY should be paid any more at the Beeb than the Prime Minister. Her comment was  that whoever they were, they will still make loads of money advertising potato crisps. Good for you  girl.

John. 

• Like 7

Hate to say it, but Google is becoming useless. Type in britm and the top search comes up with Britney Spears.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know that all of the sun worshipers out there will not agree with me on this, but I really have had enough sun and hot weather. Fourth day in a row where the temperatures go above 30, and it is definitely not conducive with trying to dig a 45cm deep hole for an upright for my barn. First I'm digging through loose stone, then hard clay, and then solid sandstone. Whoever heard of digging a hole using a hammer drill? There's vague promise of a few showers tomorrow night, but before that, we have got to endure another day of +30. Still, look on the bright side. I've lost 3lb in weight this week.

John.

• Sad 3

I know what you mean, we’ve been doing our annual prune of the lower oak tree branches to stop the horses eating the acorns and to give a clear view to the recently installed cameras. We start at about 0900 after walking the dogs and usually stop by 1100 when it’s too hot. Meteo are forecasting thunder storms for most of next week so we might get some rain, the problem is that most of them pass either side of us so no rain.

John

PS 36-38 outside the stables at 1700 for the last three days but some of that is the heat reflected from the concrete and the stone walls.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

Fourth day in a row where the temperatures go above 30, and it is definitely not conducive with trying to dig a 45cm deep hole for an upright for my barn. First I'm digging through loose stone, then hard clay, and then solid sandstone. Whoever heard of digging a hole using a hammer drill? There's vague promise of a few showers tomorrow night, but before that, we have got to endure another day of +30. Still, look on the bright side. I've lost 3lb in weight this week.

Many years ago, I helped my next door neighbour who was a plumber and a farmer with several properties to the north of my home town and his father put in a new fence along one edge on one of those properties that was in the family for many years. The land was only good enough for running cattle and was about 200 acres in size and only a third was on level ground and the rest was on a steep slope, but was good for grazing. John's father mostly put in a fence that was Ironbark logs that was grown from one of their other properties near Cooby Dam as they cut their own Ironbark trees down and split them into fence posts for their farms. One weekend I was helping John and his father put the fence in and talk about how hard this was as you had about six inches of topsoil and then it was mostly just solid rock beneath as you could only use a bar and shovel to dig through this impossible ground and I remember that we only dug four post holes that day. A fortnight later on returning to this property, John's father had singlehandedly completed the 100 metres of fence over the past two weeks on his own by using a bar and shovel and a bit and brace hand auger to drill the holes in the seasoned timber. All we had to do was thread the barbed wire through the posts to finish off. I have never met a man since who could do anything like that as they don't make men like that anymore. The ground was absolutely a nightmare to to fence posts as it was the top of the range near Carbalah. Mind you, but this were some forty-five years ago when I was still in high school and I have great respect for both John and his father Arthur who are now are buried in the cemetery that backs on to their former property. John was an uncle and brother to me and he was taken far too soon, as being a plumber, it were asbestosis that shortened his life.

• Like 5
On 9/16/2020 at 1:09 PM, JohnT said:

To be honest I can see that some DJ's are worth their £400,000 salary...

Nobody on the planet is worth £400,000!

• Like 4

It totally amazes me how many people have suddenly come down with asthma and cannot wear a mask in my store.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 9/17/2020 at 5:53 PM, Tzulscha said:

cannot wear a mask in my store.

Yet they are fine with the fumes from certain modelling products? How odd.

• Like 2

I suppose you could look at it as an easy way to identify idio  more careless sorts of people.

Personally I hate the friggin' things, but I'll do what I gotta do ya know?

• Like 3
On 9/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, Mick4350 said:

Hate to say it, but Google is becoming useless. Type in britm and the top search comes up with Britney Spears.

Could be worse...  could be the Xmas #1 single of various Britmodellers singing "Kit me baby, one more time"....  :)

• Haha 7

Talking of the ‘C’ word, our local garden centre closed off a whole section a couple of weeks ago. This is one corner of it.....

50358534923_d2b85971b5_b.jpg

Aaaarggh

Trevor

• Sad 6
16 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Is that the Grinch standing in the corner?

Thought it was a festive Dalek 

• Haha 1

Drive-thru restaurant/coffee shops etc.

For a start they cannot even spell the s0dding thing right, but what is the attraction of buying your food (and I use the word loosely) and then sitting in your car in the car park eating it. Particularly when under normal circumstances you can actually sit on a chair at a table in the place and eat it there. At my local Costa there is a drive-thru lane which is normally queued back out of the car park. I park my car, walk in and get served straight away as all the idiots are sitting in their cars waiting to be served. I can then sit down, drink my coffee and eat my tiffin (NOT a euphimism) and read a book or wave at the idiots still waiting.

Apart from the fact it allows me to get served easily what the heck is the point?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, IanHx said:

Could be worse...  could be the Xmas #1 single of various Britmodellers singing "Kit me baby, one more time"....  :)

yes it could. In the video the members all wear red white and blue mankini’s while singing it

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, JohnT said:

yes it could. In the video the members all wear red white and blue mankini’s while singing it

Whilst dad dancing

• Haha 2