Grumping into the 20s

My brain is wearing very thin now, but didn't I read somewhere (many moons ago) that when the Rover SD1 finished production, the tools were shipped to India. I could be wrong (I often am).

John.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

My brain is wearing very thin now, but didn't I read somewhere (many moons ago) that when the Rover SD1 finished production, the tools were shipped to India. I could be wrong (I often am).

John.

I think there was production in India for a while but it was relatively short lived

Best Rover SD1 action ever and quite well known the Police Liver Organ Transplant run. 30 minutes to do 27 miles to and through London on a busy Friday afternoon or the recipient patient does not get the urgently needed transplant and dies. 

The full journey on car cam here

• Like 3

Just had a text from 'NHS Team'

Apparently ALL GP practices have to state 'ethnicity' on their records. Would I text my 'ethnicity' to ***** ****** and confirm from the following groups.

I have been with my practice in it's various incarnations for over 60 years. They should know me by now.

It got deleted.

42 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Just had a text from 'NHS Team'

Apparently ALL GP practices have to state 'ethnicity' on their records. Would I text my 'ethnicity' to ***** ****** and confirm from the following groups.

I have been with my practice in it's various incarnations for over 60 years. They should know me by now.

It got deleted.

In such circumstances I always follow Humphrey Bogart’s reply when asked “nationality” in the movie Casablanca and he replied “Drunkard”

• Haha 3
13 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Wasn't there a Jedi, Klingon or Other option?

I didn't get that far, but rest assured, if it happens again, those options will be explored, though I suspect it's a closed list. I've just about had enough of the current crap we're having to endure. The human race is rapidly boiling down to two options - comply, or tell these clowns to do one.

I'm taking money on which it will be.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I say phishing.

Possibly, but they did have my surgery contact details. I got an invitation from them to have my winter flu jab last weekend. (in August?) I don't reply to that either.

• Like 1

I think you might be lucky, if the refusniks have their way there will ne no human race to carry on - or perhaps just the average intelligence will rise.  Evolution in action?

9 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Easily enough to fix with a hammer. They might even convert it to a Huracán if you ask them nicely :P

Remembering what some of their domestic wiring looked like, I don't know whether that would be such a good idea ...

11 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I say phishing.

I must be on a kind of "anglers" list, as I keep getting these. The latest one this morning, allegedly from the French Bank, Credit Agricole wanting me to click on something or other. One; I don't have an account with them and Two; Why would a French bank have a German email address? Muppets!!

John.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Possibly, but they did have my surgery contact details. I got an invitation from them to have my winter flu jab last weekend. (in August?) I don't reply to that either.

Hmm.. Local NHS database leaked?
Might be worth a shot to ask GCHQ NCSC about it.. they're usually pretty good on this.

Why do people have web sites, where they advertise their services and tell you that they can do this, that and every other thing, but when you contact them, they tell you that they can't take on any more work right now because they are snowed under. PUT SOMETHING ON YOUR BLANKETY BLANK WEB SITE TO THAT EFFECT THEN!!:angry:Sheeeesh!!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The same reason people advertise with phone numbers then can't be bothered answering or phone back when you leave a message on their answer machine...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That will be about right, you're lucky, I'm still waiting for a replacement appointment from 20th January 2018, I turned up but the Doctor phoned in sick, how ironic.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 2:13 AM, Vince1159 said:

The same reason people advertise with phone numbers then can't be bothered answering or phone back when you leave a message on their answer machine...

This was one of the most annoying things for me when I worked in a labour hire company. We found jobs for people in Australia for working holidays and often we got very short notice of work, as in I needed 20 people tomorrow, or in some cases, in 4 hours time. Women would never, never answer their mobile phone, despite signing up with that number to contact them. Why have a mobile phone if you don't answer it?

• Like 1

‘ Customer Services‘ whose communications only work one way. We have been trying for over two months to resolve a problem with a TV. We have finally been put in contact with the manufacturer who have sent us two emails and an SMS so far of the ‘ do not reply ‘ variety. Of course there isn’t a telephone number, so how can you communicate with someone who will not let you reply.  :angry:

Whatever happened to replacements for goods that don’t work properly.

John

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

‘ Customer Services‘ whose communications only work one way. We have been trying for over two months to resolve a problem with a TV. We have finally been put in contact with the manufacturer who have sent us two emails and an SMS so far of the ‘ do not reply ‘ variety. Of course there isn’t a telephone number, so how can you communicate with someone who will not let you reply.  :angry:

Whatever happened to replacements for goods that don’t work properly.

John

A lot of the big sites are like that now. Try getting in touch with a human being at Paypal. When you go to their "contact us", up pops a load of their own questions, and they ask if your problem is one of these. If it isn't................tough!

John.

• Like 2

Just a wee note on the phishing garbage we all often see. I was chatting with a fella who is very involved in IT security and I was talking about how stupid the phishing emails usually are with their poor English, undisguised dodgy email address (claiming to be from Paypal etc. but the email address is in Timbuktoo etc.) and he told me something that had never occurred to me. He said that the emails are deliberately constructed to be bad and obvious because they only want gullible and exceptionally easily fooled people to apply as they are the people who they can rob blind and anyone else will quickly realise that they are being conned and that wastes their time. They work on greed and stupidity to put it bluntly. In recent times, while looking for spares etc. for my Triumph bike I have come across hundreds and hundreds of listings for bikes, cars etc. that are all the same but appear to come from different ebay users. What they all have in common is that, when you click on the listing for that particularly cheap classic bike or car the second image is of a piece of text telling you not to bid but rather to contact a particular email address to arrange to buy the vehicle at a 'steal' of a price. Of course the gullible person transfers the money which will never be seen again and ebay don't care because they will just say that you broke their rules and guidelines by dealing directly with the con merchant outwith the protection of the ebay framework. All it takes is one sucker a week to part with a few grand in the hopes of a bargain and the scam is worthwhile,

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

@Bullbasket try here for the e-mail address of the CEO of the firm you are struggling with.A polite but pertinent missive usually works.

Thanks for that Alex. You're right. We bought a dishwasher many years ago from MFI and it packed up within the guarantee period. Trouble is, it took their engineers 3 months to get around to replacing the part. In that time, the limescale in the machine clogged it solid. Several trips to MFI's shop came to nought, so my wife contacted the CEO and addressed it "For addressee only". It worked. He told us to go to the store and chose a brand new machine.

John.

• Like 3

We are getting to the stage when we need to contact some at, or near the top.

Last time we had a problem getting satisfaction from a large company SWMBO ( who used to work in PR) found an email address for their head of PR and suggested that if something didn't happen soon we would ' go public ' and that worked.

John

• Like 3

Yesterday I had to contact a large institution on behalf of a client. 35 minutes of cruddy musak that sounded as if it was being played inside a tin box. For the sake of my sanity I hung up (there’s always that nagging feeling that I would have been next....). I’ve looked for email and fax contacts and guess what, there are none and I pride myself on my google-fu abilities.

Trevor

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

We are getting to the stage when we need to contact some at, or near the top.

Last time we had a problem getting satisfaction from a large company SWMBO ( who used to work in PR) found an email address for their head of PR and suggested that if something didn't happen soon we would ' go public ' and that worked.

John

You And Yours on Radio 4 are always looking for something to do.

• Haha 1